PDA

View Full Version : Stronger, more radiant light; and stained-glass effects with acrylics?

Nilesh
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Traditional painting techniques are limited to effects that can be achieved with light that reflects off the surface of the art. In nature, there are other effects.

Stained glass artists have been able to achieve some of these other effects. Sunlight coming through stained glass seems quite different from the light that comes off the surface of an opaque canvas.

Acrylics are more adhesive and versatile than oils. Many of the newer pigments are more transparent than older traditional ones, and there is a much wider selection.

All of this points toward some possibilities with acrylics.

With transparent or translucent acrylics painted on Lucite, glass or Plexiglas (or perhaps Dura-Lar), effects very similar to stained glass can be achieved.

Also, artists now have many new light sources available to them (which were not available to artists of the past) -- including very intense light, and full-spectrum light.

Why couldn't a painting be designed like a light box? One could achieve a variety of stained glass effects that way.

Maybe someone here has experimented, or knows of artists who have?

There are some interesting possibilities along these lines.

idcrisis55
09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I don't know of anyone doing this but it sounds interesting. Perhaps you will give it a try and share your experimenting with us? I would love to see it. :)

Lady Carol
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
People do paint on glass. Maybe your question would be better asked over in Decorative Arts.

amotwell
09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I've experimented on a very small scale with Christmas lights behind canvas, not glass, but if you keep the paint layers thin/use a lot of medium, you can get a glow similar to what you see on a lampshade, though I wasn't terribly happy with the results.

I also inadvertently propped a rather mediocre sunset/seascape (again on stretched canvas) against a sliding glass door once, and it stayed there for 6 months because my husband liked the way it looked with the afternoon sun shining through it!

It's definitely worth experimenting with, but my focus is elsewhere at the moment. I'm sorry I don't have any photos to share.

Anyone else experimented with light behind the painted surface?

timelady
09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
I used transparent acrylics to paint the inside of a glass door window, worked well. I sold the flat years ago but the window is still painted. :) I'm sure artists do paint on glass or perspex. Also, photographers have used lightboxes for a long time, and there's no reason you couldn't mount an acrylic painted perspex or glass on a lightbox as long as you used a wattage with low heat.

Tina.