PDA

View Full Version : Baby portrait

brusher
09-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi: I did a portrait of a friend's baby daughter, from a photo, in acrylics. Any C&C welcome and appreciated!

On this piece I tried some things that I thought would make for better painting - one of them is to pretty much ban opaque colors from palette, with exception of white, and if opaque color necessary, use it very thinly. So the skin has many different colors, all of them transparent except for white.

I traced the photo just for proportions and placement, and got into A LOT of trouble that way; the feet looked much too small, head was really much too small, etc., etc. I don't like tracing photos and don't think I'll do that again - I thought it would save a lot of time but it caused as much more work as it saved:o actually.

Thanks! Cathy

clementine
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
she is cute!I especially like the light you have put in the painting!
clem

Linee
09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Very sweet and nicely painted. Such beautiful skin tone and expression. I would just try to darken the shadow under the baby; there seems to be a bit of a halo.

idcrisis55
09-12-2007, 06:32 PM
She looks adorable, both in the photo and the painting. I really like the portrayal of light playing across her skin and hat. I think you have done a fine job painting her especially her eyes. The one thing I noted is the crease in her arm as it connects to the shoulder isn't as modeled as on the right. I think by deepening the crease it would give the shoulder/arm more form. Just a thought. :)

Lady Carol
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
What a cutie-pie.

Surfroney
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Adorable and I love the colour and light.

LavenderFrost
09-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Very cute.

timelady
09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Lovely work! For some reason I want to see some light on her toes. :D Since in the painting there's nothing on the left blocking the light.

And a tip for working transparent - try zinc white. :) I also never touch titanium anymore.

Tina

brusher
09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Thank you ALL for you c & c's, they are very much appreciated!
Clementine, Lady Carole, Surfroney and Michelle, thank you for your nice comments.
Linee: You are so right about the "halo" effect, some of that is due to the fact that I go over these pieces on top with acrylic/retarder for blending, after many under-layers of acrylic/water or medium. It works well but it seems I must re-do a lot of work again and again, going to the edge and coming back out again. I think in this case I didn't come close enough to the edge or almost outlined the figure at the edge. Sometimes when this happens, I will then go over the outside of the figure to "soften" the hard edge - again re-doing a lot of work. I really don't know any other ways to achieve that in acrylics; if anyone has any methods that would be better, i sure would love to hear them! I don't think that "masking off" in acrylics is a good idea; I could be wrong about that.
- Anne; you are right about the crease for the arm and muscle; that's one thing I missed. I have learned so much about anatomy - baby style - from this project! All the same muscles are there, but really have to "look" for them since babies, at first look, seem kind of "blobby" (is that the right word?)
Michelle - THANKS for your tip about Zinc White - I'll go out and get some. Is it more transparent than Titanium (which yes, I've been using?)

Again, thanks for all your comments, this particular painting is the most difficult I've ever had to do, but learned a tremendous amount during the process.

Cathy

C_Line
09-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Yes, zinc white is much more transparent. It was a tip I appreciated several months ago too. I still use titanium white, but only when not going for transparency. Lovely portrait.