PDA

View Full Version : Moonlit Run/Momentum

eraserhead
09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2007/28368-if_momentum_sml.jpg

Digital (Adobe Ilustrator) with scanned textures, 8.5" x 11".

X-post from Illustration forum...

My second Illustration Friday attempt, this one describing the concept of "Momentum." The woman was drawn on paper back in art school and I've repurposed her (in vector form) and created a background environment for her for this assignment.

This is probably my favorite digital piece of art that I've done so far (though there haven't been many), as it's closest to one of the styles I would like to develop for my illustration portfolio.

I've tweaked with the woman a bit but there's still a little funkiness to her figure, mainly around the back of her neck and back (at least to me) but then, that should teach me to not use a reference until I get better at anatomy from memory.

My favorite part is the background, especially the insanely bright moon. I learned that you can really boost the brilliance of lighter shades (and I assume, the saturation of darker ones) by duplicating the same object on top of one another, with Multiply turned on (if I remember correctly, or maybe it was Lightness).

Please be direct, brutally honest, and constructively critical if you choose to respond, as I'm trying to build a portfolio to get into the Illustration field. Although if you just want to say you like it, I suppose that's okay too.

Thanks for looking,
E

dreamingtree
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I like the feel of this. The one thing that does seem a bit off, I would say is the moon. And I don't think it is the moon itself, but I think that maybe its that glow around it. See everything else has this nice crisp cut out feel, and that moon with the glow just doesn't seem to fit for me. That could just be my opinion on that though. I'd like to hear others chime in and see what they think.
She also seems a bit too upright as well. I think by even just turning or angling her a bit would create more movement, and go with your theme of momentum better. That's my two cents anyways. I love the feel of it though and your textures are awesome.

Nazareth434
09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Lol- cool picture- I think it's the glow around her left leg- it fights with the trees and ground- a bit too much vibration between the two- subdued, I think it would read better. The glow around her in the rest of the body might be ok, but where the left leg glow meets the trees nd ground, it's a bit too much I think- also the fact that hte leg is see through- might read better, be easier on the viewers eye if it wasn't

eraserhead
09-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi dreamingtree, thanks for your post.

Well I'm sad you think the moon doesn't fit b/c that's my fave part! But I see what you mean. I may have thrown on the outer glows too strongly because the edges of the original moon are actually quite crisp. Too crisp, I thought.

I also know what you mean about her being "uptight." I did play around for about 5 minutes with rotating her a bit but just couldn't get her to look right. Do you think maybe it's her extremely vertical posture and head position? Maybe if those were turned a bit it would dispel that feeling.

eraserhead
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Nazareth, thanks for your post as well.

You've pointed out yet another weak area in this picture. I think you're right - that transparency and glow on her leg create too much tension there. Looks like I have a bit more work to do on this one. :)

dreamingtree
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Yea, I think its that her torso and head are completely straight up and down. Even just tipping her forward a bit would give more movement I think.

eraserhead
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Got it. Thanks again for the help!

bluefrog
09-14-2007, 04:17 AM
Great work!

Bytemebabs
09-16-2007, 05:21 PM
I think you are doing wonderful for just starting out and learning!

Personally, I LOVE the moon because it is so crisp and sharp! But it is a bit rough around the edges for normal viewing and in contrast to the rest of the painting.
It draws my eyes the most and I am not sure that is the focal point you wanted.

The only focal problem I have with the woman is the where the back of her neck meets her back and shoulders. It just does not visually agree with me, but remember that is just my opinion. I just feel it might look better more blended into each other without taking away from the clarity you seem to be striving for.

Ok Ok I am bad ... one last opinion, drop the trees in the background for now. They appear too "cartoonish" for the rest of the atmosphere and take away the distance appeal that you have going for between the moon, mountain and woman. Just try it and see if you like it better.

I am by no means an expert. I just like to be honest with people, instead of "sugar coating" my response and by all means feel free to critique my artwork. I learn by people being honest and pointing out things I overlook.

I wish you the best and thanks for sharing your work with us! Someday I will be asking for your autograph!

Babs :)

Bytemebabs
09-16-2007, 05:24 PM
One more thing, Now I see why the left trees bother me. The left ones are way too light and should be shadowed by the moon. Too many light sources here and it distracts from your focal point.

justjean
09-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I LIKE it :D , it's got movement, happiness and freedom :)

dreamingtree
09-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I think I am going to have to disagree with bytemebabs. At least as far as the trees go. I think one of the things that is really exciting about this piece is your different uses of texture. I think pushing those trees farther back, or darkening them, and you are going to lose that awesome texture. And I would hate to see that happen. Sorry byteme. Thats just what I think.

Bytemebabs
09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Never be sorry Dreaming! It all a "matter of opinion".:)

eraserhead
09-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for being so slow in responding but due to changing my email address associated with WC I had to go through the email activation process, which was being buggy anyway, and on top of that my verizon email seems to be filtering out some of my emails...

Bluefrog: Thanks!

Bytemebabs: Thanks for all the constructive criticism as well as compliments! I am having fun and that's the most important thing right? :)

I've made some changes (but I kept the trees) so let me know what you think of the new version.

Justjean: Glad to hear it! :) Thanks for the nice compliments.

Dreamingtree/Babs: I also think if I lost the trees, the composition would be pretty boring.

Here's the new version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/28368-if_momentum_final.jpg