PDA

View Full Version : Protective Coating??

zorch
05-27-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for some advice. Here's the situation:

I'm primarily a mural painter working in oils, but I've been commissioned to create a fairly large painting (16' x 4') which will be installed into a gourmet grocer. The client was concerned that oils might not be a good mix with food preparation and I agreed, so the mural is being painted in acrylic. No problem, it's been years since I worked in acrylic, but two panels later and it's looking fine. The issue is that the client has lowered the location of my painting so that it will be installed immediately above the food preparation area. I am concerned that as staff is doing clean up with 409 or whatever they use, that overspray will get onto the painting surface. Or that some overzealous person will try to "clean" the painted surface with a sponge and Clorox! So I want to provide some protective finish or clear surface over the painted areas. I'd been told that a coating of polyurethane--since it's an acrylic polymer--would work well and bind with the paint....but that scares me a little bit since I can't find any research to support this. So, now I'm about two weeks or so out from being finished with the last two panels and I'm looking for some suggestions for a protective coating. Anyone run into a similar situation before?

Mark Anderson

ikre8t
05-27-2002, 01:21 PM
Goodmorning Zorch,

As have completed a many of murals in latex and acrylic.....I have always used the Flecto brand Diamond Coat comes in a satin, semi-gloss and high gloss. The satin works well, Clorox is a no- no I feel for any artwork. But having put a finish in a high volume kitchen in a hotel above the grease pit......several coats of this varnish seemed to work well. I have also used this over canvas, wood, metal and wall surfaces. I really like this clear-coat, as water based materials go. Hope this helps.

Chao,
Lori
:p

terrygar
05-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Best to test several types of medium in an outdoor setting, before you apply anything.