PDA

View Full Version : my struggle with these sticks

Dima
05-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

In the beginning of the year I attendend a model-class where at some point I started doing pastels. I did at the time post my first three in this forum.
I was and am attracted by the bright and fresh colours of pastel.
I have since bought myself pastels and papers and am still trying my hand at this medium.
I feel I haven't gotten very far yet and am constantly brooding over questions like what is the best ground or paper to use, whether to blend (and how) or not, whether to fix (and how) or not, how to store and handle these vulnerable things and such.
Anyhow I will post my trials and scribbles sofar and any comments are welcome and appreciated as ever.

thanks for looking, Dick

Manooch
05-27-2002, 11:19 AM
Hello Dick,

I have not seen your earlier works, but these new ones ---
WOW!!! it seems to me you sure got a great handle on these
sticks. I like your loose, fresh and sketchy feel in your work.
Keep on doing what you are doing - it sure is working.

Regards, Manooch

KarenU
05-27-2002, 01:50 PM
Yes...I've just finished looking at all of your model class pastels and your cat! I must say, I too love your style, it's wonderful!

Dima
05-28-2002, 07:10 PM
Thanks Manooch and Karen for your kind words.
I myself feel I am still a long way from mastering these pastelsticks and I actually was not too pleased with most of what I have done.

But I would expect that I am not the only one encountering difficulties in trying to get to grips with this medium and that some of these difficulties may be inherent to pastelpainting, so I thought I 'd post all I have done sofar and see if anybody recognizes beginners faults, pitfalls and such.

Dick