PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Sept. 10 - Sept. 16

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Good morning everyone,

We finally had a little rain and may have some more today. It is badly needed.
Last night all the art teachers that I taught with for years got together. It is always a fun time. We do this about 3 times a year. Only one person is left in the school system, and 2 others went to other systems, so 3 of us are still teaching and 4 of us are retired, sort of.
I hope to finish up the ink drawing that I am doing of our church. Very architectural....not my favorite thing

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

AngelaF
09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
It is great that all of you art teachers get togehter like that. I feel somewhat adrift from old workfriends that are still working.

Hope the drawing goes well -- sounds intricate, but glad you are back in to working on a project.

I am going to my mom's today. Having more work done on the kitchen tomorrow so will shut down this computer -- hope I can get him to put in the extra phone jacks this week!

As I said last week, I plan to really work like mad the next couple of weeks and hopefully get this redo down on the priority list. Still waiting for floor though, found out that I can't get another contractor for a floor until two months are up, which is next Tuesday.

Angela

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I hope all your redos get done in a timely fashion, Angela and I certainly hope that floor gets resolved soon...what a pain....
It is an intricate drawing, but once all the lines are there it shouldn't take long to complete.
Have a good day everyone.

Pat

LJW
09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Angela, sorry to hear that the floor is still an issue. Renovations can be such a problem. I want to make a change in a wall in our kitchen, but finding a reputable contractor can be such a problem. The person who did some work on our house when we first moved in has since had a court case against him. Best wishes and hope things will get sorted out soon.

Pat, your drawing sounds interesting, though time-consuming. It reminds me of a drawing I bought years ago in England of an old coaching inn. Architecture can really come across well in an ink drawing.

We got some rain yesterday, but could use more. Still, I'm happy to go sit in the sun today for a bit. Jane

wabbitt
09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Pat it's always fun catching up with old friends. I love ink drawings of architecture. I can't wait to see your church.

Angela, sorry about your contractor woes. I've got my fingers crossed for your floors.

I had a very artful weekend. I had to draw three views of the skeleton for life drawing class homework. It's not due until next week but as impulsive as Mom is, I had to take advantage of the inactivity this weekend. Her knee is still hurting. I had all this brown wrapping paper from the art store, so I cut them up into 18x24's and did this WDE image (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444365)on some scrap wrap that didn't quite measure up.

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
What a nice collection of little girls, Julie. Their expressions are great.
:eek: The skeleton......I remember in art school we had to draw it from memory for our final exam....first bones and then muscles....
Hope your Mom's knee will be better soon.

Pat

LJW
09-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Julie, I commented on your painting in the WDE thread - glad you had time to get out the OPs again.

Pat! I'm amazed that you had to memorize the skeleton and muscles for art school! I know it's useful to know for figure work, but to have to draw them from memory for an exam is quite something.

Jane

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
It was!!! and when went into the room for the exam we had no idea what view we would have to do, frin, side or back. Actually it was invaluable for figure drawing.

Pat

wabbitt
09-10-2007, 06:29 PM
EEK! :eek: I hope I don't have to draw anything from memory. It's bad enough I thought I would have to memorize their names but fortunately the test will only be on the major bones & muscles, nothing detailed. I'm still a fast learner but I've never been one for memorizing, even worse now 20+ years out of school.

Here I was thinking I learned this stuff way back in high school & college biology but no! I just realized it was pounded into me in karate! Which is the bicep? OWWW! Okay, got it. :lol:

I saw the comments from Jane & Annie...thanks. You too, Pat.

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
:lol: ...good for you Julie...

Pat

AngelaF
09-11-2007, 06:51 AM
:lol: Good one Julie -- when are you taking the anatomy class?

Wow, Pat -- art school was really a gauntlet then wasn't it? I only went fulltime my freshman year, then had to switch to "something more practical" if I wanted to keep going. Though I have accumalated about the equivalent of being a Junior going on and off partime since then -- I avoided the anatomy :lol: . We had to make our own canvases and were included in the grade when I started out, and I still feel a sense of being part of a great tradition from having done that. I would be very proud if I were you.

Shutting down shortly this morning, hope to be back on later in the week.

Angela

AngelaF
09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
:lol: Good one Julie -- when are you going to take the anatomy class?

Art school used to be quite a guantlet, uh, Pat. I had to change to something "more practical" after my freshman year in college. I have gotten to about junior level partime by going off and on, but I have avoided the anatomy classes. I do remember having to make our own canvases when I was a freshman and the quality of our workmanship was part of the painting grade. I still feel like I am part of a great tradition due to that, though. I would be very proud of myself, if I were you, Pat.

Haven't disconnected this yet today, as the kitchen man hasn't shown up yet today as he said he would. [email protected]@###!!!

The flooring man is now saying he couldn't get the flooring because he owed the flooring company money and they kept my money when he sent it in to cover the debt. He has no money to pay me right now, is offering to see if a friend store owner will order the flooring for him and he can pay him back with the install money I would give him. He is supposed to call me back later today.

Sick, sick of this redo -- but no choice now but to plunge on. I could never have pulled this off when I was working. I have three contractors and all three of them are taking forever, coming when they feel like it. I haven't even pulled it off not working yet!!!

Angela

LJW
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Wet Canvas has been a bit up and down today. Julie, you're going to be awfully sore by the time you've learned all the muscles!!! Angela, sorry to hear that your floor woes continue. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, I couldn't get on at all this morning before I left the house.
Angela, I sure do hope all of your redo woes are soon fixed, especially the floor!!! What a tale. Good for you continuing your education.
We are having torrential rain here all day. I think it is making up for all the rain we haven't had. :eek: The gardens and lawn will love it.

Pat

wabbitt
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Yay, WC is back :) I would love to see some rain. I don't think it's rained here since February.

Pat Isaac
09-13-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm still not getting email notifications...grrr....not alone though.
Good news about my daughter.......she does not need to have chemo...just regullar follow ups with blood, CT scans and colonoscopies. She is very happy, but being the scientist that she is, she was sure that would be the case.
I am doing a 2 day demo in a neighboring town Sat. & Sun. If I had known what this summer was going to be like, I probably wouldn't have signed up, it will work out. It is part of an art stroll in conjunction with their juried show. Lots of artists are assigned to different merchants along main street and you set up at their store front. Weather is looking good.

Pat

LJW
09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Great news about your daughter, Pat. Wish you well at your demo, I'm sure it will go well. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks, Jane. No emails yet......

Pat

AnnieA
09-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm glad to hear about your daughter, Pat. What a relief! Best wishes to her and the rest of the family.

Pat Isaac
09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks, all. Still no emails..

Pat

Pat Isaac
09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I just finished a 2 day stint at an art stroll in a neighboring town. Yesterday it rained all day so I was inside the merchant that I was assigned to and not many peope were strolling, so I got a lot of painting done. Today was gorgeous, though a bit cool. Lots of people stopped by and I did sell some cards. However, I did almost finsh my painting. A first for me in a few days.
This was my set up by the business that I was assigned to.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/35760-plymouth_art_stroll.JPG
The juried continues until next Sunday.

Pat

LJW
09-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Pat, too bad it rained yesterday, but it looks like a beautiful day today and your painting of boats looks like its coming along really well. Hope you'll post it when it's finished. Glad you sold some cards. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, Jame and I'll post in a few days when I get back to my studio. Still not getting emails....a huge bug on WC.....hope they find the problem soon.

Pat