PDA

View Full Version : best ink for granulation

bukulu
09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Greetings group

I am looking for the best (black) ink that will give me a heavy granulation effect.
Anyone done any experimentation and found one that works better than others ...or perhaps an addition of something that will disperse the ink in a granulated way..

Thanks
Victoria

Steff
09-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I have found that India Ink has great granulation effects when put into water.

Steff

Studio-1-F
09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
(black) ink that will give me a heavy granulation effect.

Daniel Smith makes a black watercolor color called "Lunar Black" that has a remarkable granulation effect.

Could you use that?

More: http://danielsmith.com/products~sku~284+600+049.asp

Jan

bukulu
09-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about Lunar Earth and wondered if it was black or brown. I'll give that a try.

re: india inks. I have tried many ...I like the effects and bleed of Black Magic by Higgins but not much granulation.
Any suggestion on particular brands while I wait for my "Lunar Earth"???

Gosh...just the name suggests what I'm trying to create!!

Thanks again for the help

V

Victoria Pittman
www.victoiriapittman.blogspot.com (http://www.victoiriapittman.blogspot.com)

Steff
09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
That is odd. I use Higgins India Ink because that is what is readily available in my local craft store. The following fish were done using the India ink followed by some colored ink washes.

Steff
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Here is a close-up so you can better see the granulation that I was talking about.

Steff
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I think it may not be a "true' granulation, but the effect comes about as a result from a petroleum based ink beading up in water much like if you were to drop oil into water, but the beads are much smaller and appear on paper as graduals.

Steff

bukulu
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Thank You Steff.

I'm heading out to art store today and will pick up some of the straight Higgins india. Actually the Higgins "Black Magic" is another kind of india ...it is nice for bleeds that stay put when you wet them but you don't get the "granulated" effect.

I think the straight india is just what I'm looking for! That and some of that Lunar by DS.

Thanks for the great help!

Ps...Nice paintings!

V

J. Mundie
09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Korn's Lithographic Tusche.

This is a rather oily product meant for creating washes for lithographic plates. It creates an almost alligator-skin effect as it dries, leaving behind little ridges of pigment (like tide-marks) as the pool dries. You can even influence the pattern by mixing in a bit of alcohol (the faster evaporation means the ridges will be deposited closer together).