PDA

View Full Version : Unknown waterside flower

Ranger Dan
09-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I am pretty sure my drawn image would give no clue to the identity of this flower. I touched up the original photo and made a bit darker, plus zoomed in on it so it appears larger than life. So I attached a couple reference shots as well, so if anyone has any ideas....I couldn't find it in any (desert) wildflower books, so maybe it is a landscape plant?

Pen & ink about 6"x6"

gaykir
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I've no idea what it is either but you've done a very nice job of capturing it. It's a rather charming little thing isn't it?!

Ranger Dan
09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks Gayle, I always have an eye out for flowers & these really caught me. I will check in around here and see if I can't come up with the name of this flower. It was blooming in late May, June or early July (hot time for flowers here).

Fozbot
09-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Dan, beautiful work on the fascinating mystery flower! i belong to a gardening forum and they love a mystery there. would you like me to post your pics on the site and see if i can get an ID on this? tell me as much as you can about it...k?

Ranger Dan
09-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Please do! Hmm, about all I could tell you is it was about 2' - 2.5' high, the blue-ish - lavender-ish flowers probably 1/4"maybe bigger - maybe up to 1/2". Popped up beside the reeds in one of our (man-made) ponds in one of our desert parks. Could have easily been a seed dropped from a bird flying by - that means it could be a wildflower, but I am thinking not.

added a close up

madmum
09-11-2007, 03:28 AM
Lovely work and such a pretty flower! I can't help with the ID, sorry.

Ruth

debsn2paintn
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Very pretty, I'm not sure what it is either.

painterbear
09-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Dan,
This is a beautiful painting. I really like how you closed in on the flower and buds.

Hope someone can tell you what it is, but it won't be me. :confused:

Sylvia

Fozbot
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Please do! Hmm, about all I could tell you is it was about 2' - 2.5' high, the blue-ish - lavender-ish flowers probably 1/4"maybe bigger - maybe up to 1/2". Popped up beside the reeds in one of our (man-made) ponds in one of our desert parks. Could have easily been a seed dropped from a bird flying by - that means it could be a wildflower, but I am thinking not.

added a close up

Done! i'll keep you posted. we've got some really great garden sleuths on there so i'm sure they'll solve this for you.:thumbsup:

btw, thanks for the closeup.:)

Fozbot
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Dan, i think they found your flower. what do you think?:

Latin name: Eustoma exaltatum (L.) Don
Pronunciation: yoo-STO-ma ex-all-TAY-tum
Common name: Catchfly gentian
Family: Gentianaceae (Gentian)
Habitat: Roadsides, alkaline marshes, along streams
to 2000', Peninsular Range, Colorado Desert, South
Coast
Blooming period: Most months

Ranger Dan
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Billie you're wonderful! That looks exactly right. Many thanks to you and your botanist gardener sleuths. So it is a wildflower, it just didn't make it into my books. Maybe not so common in Arizona...I'll have to read up on it.

Thanks Ruth & Deb, I sometimes can't help myself when it comes to taking flower pictures even if I don't know what they are.

Thanks Sylvia, I've been trying to look at flowers and such with a different view, and there are many here I can learn from.

ranunkel
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Lovely flower you got there!