PDA

View Full Version : Hi - Golden Afternoon

beautifulbay
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone. I'm just starting to do some florals in my work. I used to shy away from them, but since I began gardening, I don't think I can resist them anymore. (I do wildlife). So I wanted to share my first real floral project, done in pastels and colored pencils...a gold finch with bearded iris, called "Golden Afternoon" Any critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2007/115328-goldenafternoon.jpg

Fozbot
09-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Natalie.:wave: nice work! you might want to add some more dark values on your flowers to give them more depth. the yellow bird is a great touch because it's a contrasting color.

beautifulbay
09-10-2007, 09:02 AM
:wave: You found me!
Yes, I am going to go back and darken some shadows into the petals. The bird also needs a little touching up....so I guess I'm not done quite yet....

painterbear
09-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi Natalie,
I like your diagonal composition with the bird in the middle of the two flower clusters.

We have these lovely little birds visiting my veggie garden. They love swiss chard and I grow it so they come around for a snack quite often.

I'm not sure, but do finches beaks curve like that?

Sylvia

ranunkel
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I also like your flowers!
What kind of bird is it, we don't have many bright colored birds in Denmark where I live.

Charlie's Mum
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Natalie - welcome to the forum - and nice combination for your first entry here! :D

I took the liberty of changing this to greyscale so you can see how closely toned the whole comp is ........ if you could emphasize the highlights and the darks more, you'll get a much better value range and really give this work some oomph!
Perhaps darken the b/ground and make the flowers lighter, with a greater tonal range in them?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2007/30494-115328-goldenafternoon.jpg

Please come back with more of your newly-found interest :D

debsn2paintn
09-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Pretty colors and nice details in the petals.