PDA

View Full Version : Products Questions

SandyKim
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I have 2 questions for those knowledgeable in oil pastels.

1. Has anyone worked with the Sennelier fixatives? I have the pump spray version and have applied it to small pastels on watercolor paper with good results, but it really bothers me when I use it. I believe that it is pretty toxic and the smallest whiff of it leaves me light headed. I would love to find something to put on the big pictures (to avoid the glass), but I don't want to ruin a big piece. I think Sennelier has something in a spray can now, but I am concerned about the toxicity. Any experiece out there in fixing oil pastels on large pieces?

2. Has anyone used this liquid glove product? I wash my hands so much when working that my skin is very irritated and my hands are not lovely. Would love to find an alternative to latex gloves because I just cannot work with them. I smear the pastel with my fingers and I need to have free hands to do the details.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, Stephannie

LJW
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Stephannie, I have the spray can of Sennelier fixative. Here's what it says: "Contains Xylene. Harmful by inhalation and in contact with skin. Extremely flammable....Do not breathe vapour. Wear suitable protective clothing and gloves." I have tried it on a small OP. It took three coats to prevent smudging and created a pretty shiny surface. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't like the shiny surface of the OP fix and I'm not sure it totally protects the OPs from smudging. Did you check out Marilyn Branddenberger's primer on framing without glass? It is on the site under primers.
I use gloves in a bottle a lot. I put it on before I start working and it really protects my hands and it is very easy to wash off.

Pat