PDA

View Full Version : Are they Art Supplies?

Nspire2B
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi All:

After reading a bunch of posts from such creative and talented people, I am just itching to try some new, wild, and crazy things.

So, I was poking around my garage today and found alot of supplies my husband uses for our home repair projects. I was thinking, hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder if I dare use any of them for Texture or other effects, in my art projects. I do mostly acrylic paintings on canvas, as well as mixed media. Also, I prefer working on large pieces, and I LOVE all kinds of texture.
I do sell my work, so I have to be careful for a variety of reasons. But I thought before I dive in and begin experimenting, and become a "mad scientist", a.k.a. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, I should probably ask the experts on this forum. People who have blazed these trails before me, and have stories to tell and lessons to teach.

Anyway, here is a list of supplies I found. Please tell me if any of you wonderful people have ever tried these and what were your experiences.

Tile Grout
Water Putty
Spackling Powder
Acrylic Caulk
Fix It All
Gorilla Glue
Carpenter's Glue or Wood glue
Elmer's Glue
Silicone White Sealer
Concrete
Acoustic Ceiling Patch
Liquid Starch
Plaster of Paris
Sand
Swimming Pool very fine white powder stuff (don't know the name of it)
Stucco Patch
Latex Paint

And if you have any other supplies you would like to discuss, please feel free to share with us.

Thanks.
Nspire2B

dreamz
09-09-2007, 02:57 AM
Ive mixed elmers (white glue) with acrylic paint and bathroom tissue to make a sort of modeling clay, I used it for dimensional paintings, repairing halloween decorations
and creating masks

Rettakat
09-09-2007, 03:32 AM
A suggestion: if you include Latex paint in your experiment, it would be good to make sure people are aware it is there...many folks (myself included) are allergic to Latex. :eek:

Nspire2B
09-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Rettakat:

It is duly noted about notifying people about "Latex" paint. Thanks.

dreamz:

Elmer's, acrylic, & tissue paper........very interesting. It makes modeling clay, who knew? Can it be used in paintings instead of modeling paste? What is the ratio of glue to paint to paper?
Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, look for my Thread called "Creative Supports & Tools" for painting.

Nspire2B