PDA

View Full Version : la Van Gogh

poetedamour
05-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Being very busy at work, preparing a moving into a recently bought house, all this kept me from sitting in front of an easel and paint. Last morning, I woke up and decided that before I go crazy just "thinking" of painting and doing nothing, I'd better take out my brushes and start something. I took my digital camera outside the appartment and just across the parking lot there was this splendid group of apple trees blossoming. I walk around then, in the smelly bunch, taking pictures. Came back in front of my computer and choose the following...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2002/appletrees.jpg

I also have some challenge that was bugging me in the last few weeks. After I saw a bio of Van Gogh on PBS, I wanted to try my hand with his style as a basis for my painting. So I opened a few book and searched for landscapes references.

I took out 4 tubes of acrylic (white, yellow lt hansa, prussian blue and acra magenta) and some brushes.

Here's the first draft :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2002/appletreesVG-step1.jpg

And then, as if life is always reminding you that you need to do other things than painting, I had to go pick up my teenager at his friend's house, do some cooking for my youngest who's always hungry, reboot the computer because Microsoft is Microsoft, and do another errand. So 2 hours later, I was back in front of my canvas, trying to untie my teeth, and started to paint again, for about an hour, finally having fun...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2002/appletreesVG-step2.jpg

Well, today, I was planning to work on it but, I had to do some shopping, bring my son to the restaurant where he works for the summer, show some software trick to my other son, and have a long chat with my wife... so I didn't find time to paint. I hope to post something in the next few days... before I cut my ear off :D (joke)

LDianeJohnson
05-27-2002, 12:26 AM
Dear poetedamour,

You chose a nice subject to attempt capturing the painterly directness of Van Gogh. As a result of your 2 hour hectic break, it really helped you dig-in to this painting even more effectively. Please continue with your progress...

Diane

gnu
05-27-2002, 02:13 AM
mmmmhmmm delicious!!!:D can't wait to see more, ....

poetedamour
05-27-2002, 09:34 AM
Today is so gorgeous outside, it is almost a sin to sit down downtown and work :( . Well, gotta do it and hope that tonight I'll have some time to catch up. Thanks for your comments. I'll certainly post some more later tonight.

P.
:cool:

mf.sutton
05-27-2002, 11:31 AM
This is just fabulous, keep going - mike:clap:

ikre8t
05-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Poet,

Very excited about your apple blossoms.......keep on stroking. Its all worth it, no matter when or where you have to steal a few moments for the 'sake of art'. Please.......its beautiful, and more so w/each stroke. Lovely photo, very fresh.

Chao for now,
I'll be watching! :cool:

KarenU
05-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Great start!! Can't wait to see more!

poetedamour
05-27-2002, 02:43 PM
:cool: Jeez, with all these encouragements, I might as well leave earlier from job and paint until the sun's down! Thanks again. And I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

donsha
05-27-2002, 07:54 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing this masterpiece finished. I love the progress shots they are so great.

Sharon

surreal
05-27-2002, 11:44 PM
I like the way the painting is coming along.
I'm looking forward to seeing the completed painting.

surreal

artbabe21
05-27-2002, 11:46 PM
I sure like where you are going with this, love the colors & brushwork!
Cathleen~

poetedamour
05-27-2002, 11:55 PM
As promised, here's an update (still wet!!!):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2002/appletreesVG-step3.jpg

I am quite happy with the last 2-hour session. I've been in real stress after supper tonight (my son's scooter just cost me another 400 bucks -- can you image? 5 days before we move... two weeks before city's taxes... my credit card is busted... how much did the "Sunflowers" made at Sotheby's? 2 or 3 mil$? Perhaps I really should cut my ear :evil: ) and I had to pick the brushes to avoid going really crazy. So, with "new age" music in the background (do you know "Slow Music For Fast Times"? A great double CD for painting!), I did very much advance the painting.

The only part that I think that needs to be fix up is the left part. The strokes are too big and I want the forward branch to be more "forward". Anyway, I'll keep on open eye on the canvas. Maybe, at breakfast, I'll manage to see something.

Tomorrow, no painting. My youngest son is in a play. I'll film it. Maybe he'll turn out to be the next Al Pacino or Robert De Niro or... Ok, Ok, I'm going to bed. See ya...

zzzzzz :angel: zzzzzzz

artbabe21
05-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Yep, has Vincent's look to it, but your own brush signature----excellent!!!!!!!! It has a really good feeling to it!
Cathleen~

mf.sutton
05-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Yup there is Van Gogh, although as artbrush says this also has your signature, a remarkable job well done, it has been great to watch this develop, excellent - mike:clap: :clap:

terrygar
05-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Great feel like the composition and color choice.

mansuri
05-28-2002, 06:24 PM
Christie's London sold van Gogh Sunflowers back in March 1987 for a then fantastic auction record of $39,921,750.

Even better:

On 15 May 1990 The Portrait of Doctor Gachet was sold within three minutes for $82.5 million (U.S.) to Ryoei Saito

Keep your chin up. The work looks good.

poetedamour
05-29-2002, 12:27 AM
Ok, who wants to buy my painting now? :D

Let's start at... .... nah... forget about it. They'll sell it after my death in 2099 for a higher price ;)

Anyways, thanks for the cheerful dollar$igns. My credit card is still turning red but, hey, i'll finally move into my house next week and my garden would have made Monet fainted. So, be ready for some nice pieces of work this summer. Actually, here's a picture I took a week before 9/11:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2002/cour104.jpg

For now, it is not yet this fully green but you should see the apple trees, the lilacs, the red & green maple blossoming!

Well, as I said, no painting for me today. Had to go to work (and still have a chance to peek at some threads here), and went to see my son's first play. Boy he is good the lil'sonovaswitch. Almost eleven, playing an angry father, I was amazingly shocked (no ressemblance with me whatsoever :rolleyes: ).

I hope to be able to send you an update tomorrow.

Nite-nite

P.

Matttscott
05-29-2002, 09:31 AM
Hey, I'm really enjoying the progress shots on this. Keep 'em coming!

--Matt :cool:

orchidlover6
05-29-2002, 11:31 AM
this is coming along nicely. like your brush work.

poetedamour
05-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Here's the final version...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2002/appletreesVG-step4.jpg
"Dernier regard sur les pommiers du printemps"
(Last Look At Apple Trees In Springtime)
Acrylic on canvas, 12 x 10 in.

The quality of the image isn't great but I'll make another shot tomorrow morning with natural light. The colors are really better in real life.

I hope you like it. It's my very first " la Van Gogh" experiment. It has been fun. I'll try to make another one or two before the city art exhibit in the end of June. Maybe I'll make 39,921,750 $mile$ if money's impossible for now (!).

Cheers.

billyg
05-30-2002, 04:43 AM
The master would have been pleased with this.
Billyg. :D :clap: :clap:

Matttscott
05-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Yep, top-rate job. Van Gogh's my favorite artist, so I'm really partial to this piece. Excellent!

--Matt :cool:

poetedamour
05-30-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks Matt and Billyg. I had fun doing it. I might try again with the same style. Van Gogh had a funny (and crazy) way of seeing things but the result was always amazing.

I could not get a picture of my painting this morning because it is pouring tons of rain today in Montreal. Light is yuk. To paint today would mean lots of Payne's Grey!!!

See ya!

Po.

billrspc
05-30-2002, 11:33 AM
:cool: BRAVO!!

mf.sutton
05-30-2002, 11:38 AM
very very very nice, I really love this and have enjoyed following the process - mike:clap:

donsha
05-30-2002, 04:37 PM
This is wonderful..love the colours and feel of the painting.
Congratulations it has been really good to watch this painting develop and really helpful to baby artists like myself LOL

Sharon

billrspc
05-30-2002, 05:43 PM
I really hesitate to say anything about this great piece.this is about the 5th or 6th time I have come to look at it . I did notice that the light area in the center could recede with the addition of just a little warm light blue ( I would guess cerulean) But really I think I would save that for the next piece.
Once again.... GREAT JOB!:cool:

baquitania
05-30-2002, 05:56 PM
very very nice, and I think I see matisse hiding in the leaves on the tree... well done :clap:

poetedamour
06-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Ok, here's a better shot. The colors are better here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2002/appletreesVG-step5.jpg

Thanks for all your comments. In the next few weeks, I'll be up to my ears with moving into a different house and I won't be able to paint much (other than walls!). But I'll keep an eye on the threads while my computer is still plugged to the Web.

Best regards to all!

Po.