PDA

View Full Version : ResNGel

klrecer
09-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Okay, so after looking through the different threads and the library, I decided to buy some to try. While I liked the way it blended the overall background of my picture it seemed almost to greasy and it absorbed into my paper never quite drying. Did I use to much? What is the best way to apply the ResNGel?

KJSCL
09-07-2007, 10:20 PM
klrecer

You may want to get one of the Pastel forum mod's to move this over to the Oil forum (click the icon beside the post number on the right hand side) , or repost this one there. ResNGel is an oil paint medium - I've never heard of it being used with pastels - would result in quite a mess I would think!

Kathryn Wilson
09-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Moving over to the Oil Pastel forum.

LJW
09-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Klrecer, if you are going to use a medium with your OPs, you need to use a paper which can be used with oils, such as Artspectrum Colourfix or Wallis, or you need to apply gesso to your paper first. Otherwise, the medium will sink into your paper and eventually rot the paper.You don't need very much medium to move OPs around. I apply my OPs first and then dip the tip of the brush in the medium and then apply it to the OPs. It does take some time to dry, just as oil paint does. I only use mediums rarely now, as I found that mechanical blending with Senneliers and Holbein Artist OPs works well, and doesn't have any limitations. Jane

Kathryn Wilson
09-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I rather like the paper that Sennelier makes specifically for oil pastels. They won't bleed through the surface to the paper below.

LJW
09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Kat, that's interesting, because I find the texture of that paper creates a distinct pattern which I don't like. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I also have a bunch of that paper and I find the texture doesn't bother me much if I put an acrylic underpainting on it and then cover it with clear gesso.
The heavier papers work best if you are using a medium.

Pat