PDA

View Full Version : Nude Back/linen HELP!

lta
09-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Just something out of my mind.. as you can see a theme with me, I seem to be lacking in the finishing and shading areas of painting. I am beginning an art class (although watercolour) I am hoping that it will give me the basics of shading...do you all think it will help or hinder? I figure watercolour classes are better than none...
Any help would be appreciated.

troublemaker
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
from what I can see? I think you have a pretty great idea on the basics of shading. All you're lacking is the step (courage?) to make a shadow really dark.

I struggle with the issue of fearing I will paint something in too dark so often my shadows don't contrast enough with my highlights and neutral areas.

Watercolors could help or hinder, from my point of view. One of the reasons I got so nervous about dark shading was because in watercolors you can't really take dark back; like you can in acrylics or oils.
BUT...on the flip side, it may teach you how to layer things until they get to the darkness that works; which may help you lay in the many gradations there are taking you from shadow to highlight.

I'm not sure that helps...