PDA

View Full Version : Prices of acrylic mediums in the UK

fazzy01
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi guys

this is a general question for artist's in the UK

I do alot of abstract work using and experimenting with all the texture gels and acrylic mediums available to us like heavy gloss gels, self levelling gels, granular gels, etc. I also been buying pourable mediums, golden glazing medium, blending mediums etc...

In the uk if i need any of these mediums then I have to purchase golden, liquitex, daler and rowney, and many of them are so so expensive compared to the prices in the USA. Plus I have to buy all my mediums online (so i have to pay postage and packaging) from uk artsores as I can't find any within the area of West Yorkshire that supply thse wonderful acrylic mediums.

Is that the case for many of you in the UK? Do you find that these mediums are relatively expensive in the UK?

I have to use quite alot for my work especially heavy gloss gel, sometimes I use half a litre for one peice to build very heavy textures.

timelady
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Most places like Jacksons (cheapest for Golden - jacksonsart.co.uk) and Great Art have free shipping over a certain amount. With Great Art it's very good considering they actually ship from Germany!

And yes, this is essentially the case. Remember that by using US products you are paying for air freight (which you'll pay for either way - shipping over yourself or buying through a retailer here) plus our VAT is added in to the price. In the US the sales tax is NOT included in the price you see, it's added afterwards. And if you import it yourself (I've done that) you can be hit with both VAT and customs duty unless you're physically bringing it into the country yourself and can get through the 'nothing to declare' queue.

Have you looked at European brands? Lascaux, Winsor & Newton, Lukas, and I'm sure there's others? I prefer Golden myself, since I never make these things easy for myself. ;)

For what it's worth, at the current exchange rate an order from Dick Blick's if Golden is on sale can be worthwhile. You may not save much but you will save something even with the customs and VAT added once it hits the UK. They ship by Fedex and Fedex will send you a customs invoice which you pay before they'll deliver.

Tina.

fazzy01
09-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Timelady many thanks

Yes I have used Greatarts for all my lascaux metallic acrylics as they are the best in the world :clap: Problem with greatart is sometimes you have to wait a while before you recieve your items as they have to order it from abroad.

Do you know anything about spectrum gloss gel? I came across it from russel and chapmans website, and I think its done by tri-art and the price looks better. I am starting on a new project and the gloss gel for this particular project doesn't matter in terms of quality of texture/shine, so i was wondering if there were any cheaper brands that do gloss gels. I really don't want to use the quality gloss gels from golden that I currently have as I need to use them for other projects where quality of texture/shine matters.

Haha maybe I need to go to the US for a shopping trip, like people go to new york for clothes shopping trips, I could go for an art's trip, and get all those wonderful acrylic mediums. Plus in the states there are all sorts of other brands available.

timelady
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Tri Art is great quality, it's Canadian I think? I don't use any gels personally so can't vouch for them. Sorry. :( To be honest I don't know anyone who uses any texture really that I could ask, I've used light moulding paste but that's it really.

Tina.

Nilesh
09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Heavy gloss gel, one quart for 9.50, one gallon for 26.00.

http://www.novacolorpaint.com/

Scrolling down to the end, the gels are listed here:

http://www.novacolorpaint.com/orderform.htm

Don't know about shipping, but might be worth checking -- or having a friend in LA pick some up at the factory, and then ship (or just bring them to you when they visit).

They have great prices, even for the US.

Nilesh
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Another possibility: buying in bulk can often be quite a bit cheaper. Sometimes artists get together a split up a bulk item.

5 gallon buckets or 55 gallon drums might save some money, if one can spread that much medium around.

I've used Golden products, and like them a lot. Their website and support are excellent. Sometimes I just get over paying a little more for certain things.

[Then again, perhaps if I were going through gallons and gallons of mediums, I might be more interested in buying differently. Otherwise, I don't always mind; it doesn't hurt that much.]

timelady
09-07-2007, 06:27 AM
That reminds me, Jacksons used to have a notice in the front of their catalogue for artists buying in bulk to contact them about further discounts. So if you are buying a lot, the other posters are probably right - buy bulk in advance. I don't know if Jacksons do that anymore (I no longer get a printed catalogue) but it can't hurt to call them and ask. :)

Tina.

geof
09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
That reminds me, Jacksons used to have a notice in the front of their catalogue for artists buying in bulk to contact them about further discounts. So if you are buying a lot, the other posters are probably right - buy bulk in advance. I don't know if Jacksons do that anymore (I no longer get a printed catalogue) but it can't hurt to call them and ask. :)

Tina. They do still do this. It is buried on the web site at http://www.jacksonsart.co.uk/findus.php?rotor=tandcs

Incidentally it might well be worth your time looking at the AV acrylic mediums and varnishes. Jackson's prices seem to be very good for these.

Regards Geof.

a. ladd
09-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Utrecht.com has good prices on their mediums and has some sales going on too (I can forward some info if interested).