PDA

View Full Version : Mountain scene...in trouble

danworg
09-06-2007, 03:02 AM
36" x 12" stretched canvas
W&N acrylics
I wonder if anyone could suggest how to finish this painting,basically i am stuck :smug: ...i know it needs extra work on the highlighting.I have tried to use a limited palette again,but do you think it needs more colour....questions,questions,questions...sorry
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2007/108383-safari_pics_033.jpg

Hope you can help
Dan :)

gaykir
09-06-2007, 07:47 AM
I actually like the sky and the mountains. What seems lacking to me (IMO) is a point of interest. Just a plane in the sky would make it for me (and it could be very small). You could do a bird but that is so "usual". I considered a hot air balloon but not sure with your limited palette...Think about it and see if you might add one small something.

jan409
09-06-2007, 08:33 AM
I love the colors and the movement in the sky. I agree about out point of interest. I think a bird would be great. Jan

Jon
09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree about a focal point. However, I would prefer a hint of color at some area to accomplish this rather than a bird. To each his own. :)
Let us know what you decide.

pakc
09-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree with Jon.
there is a beauty and tranquillity that this painting shows...adding something in the sky will disrupt it....but a little hint of color to draw the eye to one point would finish this off nicely.

DesertDarlene
09-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I think the painting is very good. I don't think you should add something to the sky, but a focal point somewhere on the mountain range would help and not ruin the scene. I'm thinking a brighter highlight somewhere with more color.

idcrisis55
09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree with adding some highlights in your focal point area and maybe just a hint more of color in that area. This is a lovely, well done painting!

1100ww
09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I think it looks really good.

Paulafv
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
This is by far my favorite of your paintings. You can keep your same palette, but add some light to the right side of the mountains, just a kiss of cloud color on all the mountains. (To see how it would look, print out the picture and try adding light with your paint, dry brush.)

LavenderFrost
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I like it, except for the bright white area in the top right. But that may be the photo. Otherwise, your skies are the focal point and I don't think you should add too much.

dreamz
09-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I think a balloon could add a point of interest AND a splash of color but that doesnt work with the limited pallete.

I really don't think the mountains need any more highlights, I think it would ruin the distant feel you have going. That also negates adding a bird because any bird seen at that distance would have to be HUGE!

I guess what Im saying is I like it as it is.......

amotwell
09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
I've been working on the same size of canvas lately as well, and it certainly has its challenges compositionally! At a glance I'd say the trouble is that the brightest part of the sky is at the highest peak of the mountains, which leaves things a little out of balance.

I might try to move the brightest point in the sky to the left? But then that would contradict the light source on the mountains. Would moving the light source all the way to the right corner work better?

. <-- grain of salt. Take as needed with above advice.

Margaret 59
09-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Dan, is that a river between the mountains, running through the centre? If so you could highlight that as there would be some reflection from the sky anyway.

danworg
09-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions....
I am going to be putting this to one side for a while,but basically i feel more colour needs to be added...where i dont know but it needs it :)

This was painted from my imagination and that is supposed to be a glacier between the mountains,so i suppose i need to concentrate on making that more obvious as well..

Many thanks
Dan :)