PDA

View Full Version : Back to the river...

digitalis
09-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi Everyone - I have updated a small plein air picture I did earlier in the year while on a camping & canoeing trip. You may have seen the study from a previous post, but here is the progress since then - C & C is always welcome!
David

The study...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2007/99784-rivercamp1.jpg

The progress...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2007/99784-river-camp.jpg

idcrisis55
09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
The study has beautiful contrasts, lights and darks, a feeling of a lovely summer's day. The progress painting is looking more of a finished painting but I miss that lovely light and contrasts. Can't wait to see it completed. :)

flashback max
09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
How's the fishing there?

Margaret 59
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Like Ann, I like the first one anyway...and also the second one. Lovely reflections and still water.

Surfroney
09-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Love them both! Without looking at your flag, when I saw these little gems, I thought Australia. Then scrolled up and saw that you are, so youve definately caught the place!
Froney

digitalis
09-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Hi Ann - this picture is a tough nut to crack! I ended up losing some of the contrast, colour and detail in the background in order to improve the depth and make the foreground bank come forward. On the day there was strong afternoon sun hitting bits of the foreground and lots of the background, making it a bit of a juggling act to determine what was where. Thanks for the observations.

Hi Flashback - the river was a bit low at the time - plenty of jumping mullet in this strech of water.

Thanks Margaret - I hope I know when to stop!

Thanks Froney - I suspect we are spoiled for good sharp light here in oz - I love it!

connievanwinssen
09-06-2007, 04:07 AM
I like the study better:)

rmc
09-06-2007, 04:51 AM
Beautiful - talk us through the changes and why you altered the lighting in the close and far bank - it makes for two totally different takes - both are stunning - have to say that the study is my favorite too though!

chammi kaiser
09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
There is something so spontaneous about the study. It is full of light and shade and perfectly beautiful. Although I can see how 'finished' the second is (and it is lovely in it's own right), the study gets my vote. Love those brushstrokes.

Lulu
09-06-2007, 06:30 AM
have to say that I like the study best too, simply because of the spontaneity and light and reflections in it.

digitalis
09-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi Ruth - What I thought I had done was to 'water down' the far bank to make it recede a little, giving more prominance to the point of the nearer bank. Given that both banks were in strong sunlight, this was a bit tricky. Also the deeply shadowed trees behind the tent were silhouetted against the brightly lit background (I wanted to keep this notion intact). What I might try is returning some of the contrast and form to the far bank while allowing a little shadow to creep up from the bottom, which would create a contrast for the bright grass and trees in front. I have noticed too that I have smothered a lot of the yellow oxide in the study. Maybe I will sneak a bit of that back in as well - hmmm... As soon as I have fiddled with it, I'll post an update.

digitalis
09-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi Chammi and Lulu - thanks - I am getting the message!

digitalis
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
I have just had a bit of a fiddle - picked up some elements of the background and strengthened the hilights a bit - I took the photo under fluro so I hope it comes up ok - anyway, I'm open to comments...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2007/99784-rivercamp2.jpg

jan409
09-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Beautiful. Jan

C_Line
09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Beautiful indeed on both counts...I'm with some others - I like the sponteneity of the study too.

pakc
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
now your talking...yes the painted piece brings in the lights, colors, and charm of the study.
The original painted work was calm and serene but didn't reflect...in my opinion...the excitment that you would experience seeing this spot in a canoe just as you came around the bend.....now the tent and the smoke from the campfire are quite visible and understandable.

glad you tweaked it a bit.....it is stunning.

LavenderFrost
09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I really like the progress you have made on this. It's a beautiful scene.

digitalis
09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for your input everyone! This one has been a challenge - I may tweak it a tiny bit more but then I am going to stop before I risk mucking it up.