View Full Version : English terminology

04-24-2001, 01:22 PM
Maybe you're looking for the word "layout" or "graph"? When people draw a grid of lines on a canvas as a guide, it would be a "layout guide" or "layout grid". I guess. Anybody else have ideas? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

-=- Jen "Hmmm." de la Cruz

04-25-2001, 12:10 AM
I'd like to know how is called the art of making guide lines based on an 'universe' (canvas, screen, etc) to determine its inner parts for filling with text, images, or just composing parts of a drawing. In Portuguese it's called 'diagramação', but diagramming does not apply in English. Is there a single term for this?

04-27-2001, 06:40 PM
The swedish term translated to english is "supporting lines" or "support lines".

Would "guide lines" work http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Visit my gallery at Artistnation (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/henrik)

Keith Russell
05-06-2001, 10:36 PM

Yes, 'layout' is the correct term, and it applies to text (magazines, books), as well as pictures (comic books, graphic novels), or a combination of the two (magazines, text books, etc.).

Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]

06-07-2001, 12:34 AM
Maybe you are referring to "Squaring-up?"
Where you create a grid on your reference material, then your support (paper screen etc) and copy one to the other usually increasing the size.???

07-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Hi Nikki,

We call it a "graph" and it is used for exactly what you are describing. It can be made on a sheet of acetate or (what I do) is make a black and white copy (at a copier for 10 cents) of a photograph and make the lines in ink right over it. The particular size I am doing at the moment is for a 16 x 20 canvas and my photo was sized at 8 x 10." Frank Covino's "Controlled Painting" book gives pretty good instruction or there is a book called "Paint Your Own Masterpiece" Mark Churchill, that also gives instruction.