PDA

View Full Version : Plumeria Flowers

~frangipani~
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Well I've tried multiple times to get either a good scan of this or a good photo, and neither scanner nor camera produced a result that looked very good. After changing settings on my extremely old scanner this is the best I've managed to get so far, but it's still not right. The grays are nowhere near as severe as they look, all the shading on the flowers is a lot softer.

This is from my own reference photo, I have several frangipanis growing in pots on my verandah and one never fails in giving lots and lots of blooms all through summer. My favourite plant, if you hadn't guessed :lol:

6 x 4 coloured pencil (Derwent Artists and Polychromos) on Canson 220gsm drawing paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2007/65270-plumeria1.jpg

Garry1953
09-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi Sue

I'm a sucker for bright colours. :thumbsup:
Very Nice.

~frangipani~
09-05-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks for commenting Gayle. Yes I am one of those people who is drawn to the bright coloured pencils... so very bright:evil:

debsn2paintn
09-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Beautiful! Nice shading. Beautiful colors.

pancho
09-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Very striking and it's beautiful!

C_Line
09-06-2007, 07:25 AM
I can smell their wonderful fragrance now! Perfect forms to those blossoms.

frida
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Sue! :wave:

I have been around WC! for a while, mainly at the CP Forum, trying very hard to just take a peek here and there due to two botanical exhibition deadlines... :eek:

Your thread attacted me because I love Frangipani, and you work with CP!

There are two important things (aside from so much more) that I learned here I would like to share. One is that placing a sheet of clear acetate on the scanner bed helps picking on subtle colour differences more.

The other is that it may be a good exercise for you to do some test swatches shading yellow with violets, instead of using grey. I favour Prismacolor Greyed Lavender and Dahlia Purple underneath Sunburst Yellow, but if you don't use Prismas this wouldn't mean anything to you... :(

NOTE - I was going to include some C&C, but read your first post again and you don't ask for it, so... :cool:

~frangipani~
09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Raquel, thanks for your comments :D

Your thread attacted me because I love Frangipani, and you work with CP!
They are lovely, beautiful and a scent to match:D I love CP as well, but I do only consider myself a beginner, nowhere near as talented as some of the people around here...but I keep practising and one day I'll get there.

One is that placing a sheet of clear acetate on the scanner bed helps picking on subtle colour differences more.
Will give that a go, my scanner is almost an antique so that may be an issue as well:o Failing that I now have a new digital SLR so I'm sure that will will produce much better results.

The other is that it may be a good exercise for you to do some test swatches shading yellow with violets, instead of using grey. I favour Prismacolor Greyed Lavender and Dahlia Purple underneath Sunburst Yellow, but if you don't use Prismas this wouldn't mean anything to you...
I use mainly Derwent Artists and Polychromos, these are the most accessable where I live... there are some pale purples and violets that tend towards a muted grey so will have a play with those.

NOTE - I was going to include some C&C, but read your first post again and you don't ask for it, so...
C&C is always welcome... my goal is to improve and part of that is getting feedback on what you have done... so lets hear it!

frida
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
My first impression of your piece was that I liked the composition very much, but I find it gets "pushed down" by that powerful blue at the top. I would like to see it a bit more sky blue to make it more natural, and it would still offer a lot of contrast by the very nature of the main colour of the flowers. If you crop the top a bit it lightens up the heavy feeling also, as long as you leave in there some "breathing" space. :)

I like Derwent pencils too, which we get in open stock in Toronto, as well as the Polychromos. I never made friends of the Signature ones, and have some Artists, which I find rather hard. I have seen, though, some terrific work by English botanical artists done with them in Margaret Stevens' The art of botanical painting, a wonderful book, BTW. I favour the Studio line, a bit softer, and now the new Coloursoft, great and creamy! They are available in Australia for sure.

When you test your shading, use a pale violet for the subtle shading, and a brighter one for the darker areas. Overlap those with the yellows, and you'll end up with shading that is more integrated with the whole. Warm and cool violets react differently with warm or cool yellows. The testing is a valuable learning experience.

I am looking forward to see your new work! :thumbsup:

ranunkel
09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
You have a nice composition in this drawing and I love the bright colors.
Flowers done in CP are so beautiful and soft.

~frangipani~
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the nice comments Marianne.

Thanks for the C&C Raquel.
I see what you mean about the blue, it is a little overpowering, will take that on board when I do my next drawing, and there will be more :D I will also sit down and do some experimenting with the warm and cool violets as you suggested.
I have seen the coloursoft pencils here in Australia but have not purchased any... yet :lol: ... my art table has a big stack of pencils (I have all 120 colours of the Derwent Artists and a large number of studios and polys) so I think I'll try and use up some of these before I branch out to another type of pencil.

~frangipani~
09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Just realised I've been a bit ignorant :o Thanks to Deb, Janet and Celeste for your comments too!