PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary take on Toitoi grass - WIP???

rmc
09-04-2007, 06:35 AM
And so carries on my attempt at Contemporary Art - :wave: :confused:
The first I painted this afternoon - aiming to convey sense of sun catching / backlighting the grasses:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2007/83066-tt.jpg
I'll have a look tommorrow - use your comments and decide where to next - how much detail vs loose....:thumbsup:

The second is a challenge for me - it has involved pouring paint on and letting it settle having first painted a close up of the grass fronds - overlain this with tissue for texture and painted another layer of colour over this ....:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2007/83066-ttt.jpg
apologies for photo quality - paint till wet and light poor - your input will also help me on this one - I plan (I think) to pour on another layer maybe using burnt sienna.....

C_Line
09-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Excellent capture of sunlight! I like the colors very much. The second one looks really interesting too. It looks as if we're looking through water.

Jackie339
09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
You've done a wonderful job with the backlighting, and the painting has a great feeling of movement.

jan409
09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Beautifully done. You have captured the light great. Jan

gaykir
09-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh wow! That first one takes my breath away! The lighting is great as others have mentioned but movement is even more wonderful. I love those thin leaves blown about by the wind. You've captured the true softness of the heads too. Just amazing.:clap: :clap: :clap:

The second one is a whole other experience isn't it?! I think it deseaves it's own thread! Ha!

You are really in a creative vein these days! You go girl.:thumbsup:

Surfroney
09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
They are both beautiful. I love the light in the first one.

lilbelle
09-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Wow! Excellent job on the backlighting in the first one!!! I think the second is going to look even greater after you've done the last burnt sienna layer. They are both wonderful!

dreamz
09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I like the first pic a lot Ruth but what I really like is your experimenting, the effect is really cool. My feeling is, its only paint, if an experiment doesn't work well its not a loss but a learning experience

rmc
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys - Dreamz you'll love what the art instructors words were "let the painting talk to me" - I'm listening - lol

I'm glad you noticed the movement Gayle - this was all painted straight on to the canvas with no preliminary sketching or 'trying to follow the lines' - using broad energetic brush strokes with that aim!!!!!

I wasn't sure i would be able to capture the warmth of the sunlight with such a light sky - but it seems to be working.

Will update once I've heard from the painting where to go with the burnt sienna - all very experimental!!!!

Paulafv
09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
For a highly organized person, you are extraordinary in how you take chances with your art. Excellent example for your children and everyone who admires you on WC. Both wonderfully painted. I was wondering if the tops of this grass don't blow over a wee bit more seeing as the bottoms are bent a great deal?
If it's like our marsh grasses here on the coast of NE, it may have a very sturdy stalk. Don't know about your area of the woods. Just asking; not a crit.

Paula

rmc
09-04-2007, 07:19 PM
thanks Paula - actually they do have a very sturdy stalk ...
As for organised - ummmm ..... maybe.... do like to keep housework condensed to one mad rush in the morning on getting up.....
Maybe the attraction to art is exactly that one can experiment......
you are extremely kind to admire me - must put you in touch with my husband's people.......lol..... in fact, al contraire - I admire all you talented folk from whom I've learnt so much iin the past year!