PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Mountain Man

Roger Evans
09-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi, all!

Started a new one which, for lack of a better name, I'll call "Mountain Man". Probably not the final name as that handle has been used on quite a few paintings by other people. Maybe "Buckskin Joe"? I dunno. I'll think about it a bit. I'm doing this one as a kind of quasi-sepia. Limited tones of black, white and tan in the style of an old tin-type.

Here's the reference photo I shot, with a bit of vignette just as a point of departure for the concept. I'll be adding a rather cheesy hanging drape typical of the old photos of that time period:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_000.jpg

Here's the background laid in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_001.jpg

And here it is with the basic shape and tan base color laid in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_002.jpg

After this dries, I'll pencil in the details.

Later!

Roger

PS: There are some funky blue-tones in these photos that are not in the actual painting. I didn't have time to do much filtering in Photoshop before posting. Sorry. I'll try to do better on the next round.

idcrisis55
09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Wonderful! Looking forward to this one.

Nomad_Ca
09-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Hiya Roger,

Nice start..'cept for 1 thing..That rifle will be an eye catcher..It's a toy or it looks like one..the lower end is ok but the upper is off for the period..looks like a pellet gun..should be a hex barrel or round but over an inch across the flats and carry a ramrod underneath it...try googling a "Plains Rifle" and I'm sure you'll find an easy fix..
Hope you don't mind my comment.

Jackie339
09-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I can't wait to watch this unfold!!
How in the world do you get these people to pose for you, and where do you get the props!? Enquiring minds want to know, LOL!

jan409
09-04-2007, 08:46 AM
I will be watching this one. I love the way you have started the background. Jan

Roger Evans
09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Hiya Roger,

Nice start..'cept for 1 thing..That rifle will be an eye catcher..It's a toy or it looks like one..the lower end is ok but the upper is off for the period..looks like a pellet gun..should be a hex barrel or round but over an inch across the flats and carry a ramrod underneath it...try googling a "Plains Rifle" and I'm sure you'll find an easy fix..
Hope you don't mind my comment.
You have a sharp eye. This was just a prop gun for the guy to hold. I didn't have an actual Hawkins rifle available, so I figured I would just graft the end of a Hawkins rifle onto the existing stock during the final painting stages. Here is what it should look like:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_003.jpg

This elongates the rifle a bit, compared to an actual Hawkins rifle, but I like the effect of the longer barrel. As you say, the stock is pretty generic and will match okay but I'll probably get rid the painted-on scrollwork on the base.

I'm glad you brought this up because I meant to change the outline to the Hawkins barrel and I forgot and just used the original prop gun barrel. Yikes! That could have been messy!

Thanks!

Roger

Roger Evans
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I can't wait to watch this unfold!!
How in the world do you get these people to pose for you, and where do you get the props!? Enquiring minds want to know, LOL!
I order costumes from Frankels Costume shop in Houston and have them shipped out to Utopia, if I can't find what I need locally. I exclusively use local townsfolk around Utopia. Initially it was kind of tricky getting local people to pose but word has got around and now everyone wants to be in a painting. I am hoping that, eventually, our gallery will be an interesting record of the local population.

A previous painting, "Waitin' on the Coffee" had the local telephone repair man:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/coffee_big.html

"Mountain Man" is his boss that decided he wanted to be in a painting, too. ;)

Roger

gaykir
09-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Can't wait to watch you at work again. I love the idea of local folks posing for you. How fun!

*Violet*
09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
great start and excellent process .... will be watching !! ... eagerly !!

dreamz
09-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Interesting subject Rodger, its always a pleasure to see your work progress

Jackie339
09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
You got the stuff Roger!!!
I think my husband would flip if I asked the repair guy to pose for me, lol!

Margaret 59
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Enjoying all of this, Roger.

Andun
09-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Good to see more of your neighbors Roger.If this guy turns out as good as the coffee man he'll be proud!!!:)

howyadoin
09-05-2007, 02:50 AM
I exclusively use local townsfolk around Utopia. Initially it was kind of tricky getting local people to pose but word has got around and now everyone wants to be in a painting. I am hoping that, eventually, our gallery will be an interesting record of the local population.Now that is a brilliant idea. May have to give that some thought myself.

Lookin' forward to seeing this one unfold too, of course.

edtree
09-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I'll be watching as well, Roger. I love that you're going for the old-time photo look in both set-up and finished painting. It will be both fun and interesting to see it develop. :D

Elizabeth

Katydid15
09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Neat WIP! I'm watching eagerly. :)

Roger Evans
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Okay. Major diversion. The more that I looked at the original photo, the more I liked the simplicity of it. So I scrapped the background and started over. I took that opportunity to correct the gun barrel, which before had the outline of the prop gun and not the Wilkins rifle that I intended to use.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_004.jpg

All is well, now and I can proceed on to the detailing of the subject.

Roger

Roger Evans
09-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Wow! Didn't mean to be away so long!

Business has finally let up enough for me to paint all weekend long! :)

Okay, penciled in the detail of our mountain man:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_004a.jpg

Next I trace over the pencile lines with a black Sharpy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_005.jpg

Then I give it a coat of tan paint to soften the linework:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_006.jpg

As on my other paintings, I depend on the Sharpy bleeding through the base coat. I hate retracing my reference lines as I work and, about the time the Sharpy lines get enough paint on them to no longer be visible, I won't need any reference lines. I have used this technique of all my paintings and it serves me well. I used to employ the standard graphite sheet and then paint, retrace my lines, paint some more ,etc. Maddening. This allows me to paint precisely and quickly without having to retrace my reference lines as I go.

I'll let this dry thoroughly and then start on the face in the morning.

Hmmm. Still getting some pesky blue tones in my whites on the photo. Not that way on the painting. Oh, well. Imagine that the whites are white. :)

Also, in a previous post I called the Hawkins rifle a "Wilkins" rifle. I dunno where I pulled that name from. I was probably thinking about a client of mine that goes by the name "Wilkins". My brain is more tortured than most.

Roger

lilbelle
09-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Roger, love the idea of using a sharpy! Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

edtree
09-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Roger!

Aw. I kinda hated to see the curtain go, but I know it will look fantastic this way too!

Question: What kind of support are you working on, and size? I looked back through the thread and didn't see it anywhere.

I'm thinking I might try the sharpie lines. I fight losing the reference lines in nearly every painting. I usually paint on watercolor paper though. I'll have to try a test and see if it bleeds to the back (which would not be a good thing!)

Thanks for posting so many progress shots. They are both interesting and helpful. :)

Elizabeth

jan409
09-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Looks to me like it is coming along great. Jan

Roger Evans
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Made some progress today and finished the face. I'll do some finalizing on the beard after I complete his clothing since his beard overlaps a bit onto his collar, etc. Same with his chest hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_007.jpg

Note how his hand looks. This is how his face was after laying the base colors over the Sharpy lines. They eventually get covered completely the closer I get to completion. A close up of the face can be found here:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/man_wip_007_big.jpg

Pretty tired. Dunno how much more I'll do tonight but I might attack the coonskin cap. That should be fun! :)

Roger

Roger Evans
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Question: What kind of support are you working on, and size? I looked back through the thread and didn't see it anywhere.

This is 24x36 inches on mounted canvas. I'm working from a black and white photo that I took of the subject.

I'm thinking I might try the sharpie lines. I fight losing the reference lines in nearly every painting. I usually paint on watercolor paper though. I'll have to try a test and see if it bleeds to the back (which would not be a good thing!)

Dunno about watercolor paper but it works great for canvas!

Roger

siberart
09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Wonderful WIP. I like the way you have already laid in the shadow at his feet. Grounds the subject and makes him fit even better. Looking forward to watching the progress.

Roger Evans
09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Alrighty, a couple of things. First, the name for this painting is officially "Pathfinder".

Second, I finished the coonskin cap.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_008.jpg

A larger version can be found here:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/man_wip_008_big.jpg

Off to bed!

Roger

*Violet*
09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
:thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
That face is amazing. Can't wait to see more.

Roger Evans
09-12-2007, 09:02 AM
That face is amazing.

Thanks!

The town of Utopia has a very ethnic background and lots of old timers out here. I have a pretty much endless supply of people with interesting faces. When I first started, there was some resistance from the locals about posing. But the first couple of paintings I did were of a young boy that didn't seem to care. He posed with his horse and then I asked his (sometimes grumpy) father to pose for a different painting and he reluctantly agreed. Then others started to see the results because I had the paintings hanging temporarily in a local cafe. Now I have people asking to pose in my paintings. As I noted before, our gallery will be an interesting record of the local citizenry for later generations. I'm going to make it a point to only use people that live in Utopia for all my paintings. Should also make an interesting coffee table book! ;)

Roger

idcrisis55
09-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Roger, your work is truly superb. The look in his eyes, the facial expression and tones, just so smooth like skin is even with all the wrinkles. I am so enjoying this.

Wojdo
09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Very realistic painting, you handle acrylics very well

Roger Evans
09-13-2007, 01:08 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_009.jpg

Nothing major tonight. Just managed to work out most of the shirt. I'll need to tidy it up a bit after getting the rest of the jacket worked out; shadows, edging, highlights, etc. But it's mostly there.

Roger

Roger Evans
09-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Roger, your work is truly superb. The look in his eyes, the facial expression and tones, just so smooth like skin is even with all the wrinkles. I am so enjoying this.

Thanks! This painting has been a bit challenging for several reasons. One is that it is only 24x36 inches, which seems large but I am used to canvases that are 3 feet by 5 feet, so the face on this one is smaller than I'm used to. The other challenge is that I am doing a quasi-sepia and working from a black and white photo, so I am having to transpose values and tones from a grey scale to a sort of duo-tone scale, which is not intuitive. Certain things change. For instance, the subject is really in his late 60s or early 70s, I believe. The black and white photo makes him seem even older because it makes his beard very, very grey. The sepia knocks probably 30 years off his age because it makes his beard brown in color instead of grey. This is okay but it certainly isn't what-you-see-is-what-you-get style of painting.

Very realistic painting, you handle acrylics very well

Thanks, again. I just wish I had more time this week. Work has really kept me busy.

Roger

pero lane
09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello Roger...this is looking really great!:)

I have used the permanent sharpies in the past as I hate losing my original detail sketch...but I noticed that the marks bleed through, sometimes months later. Have you ever had this happen? In my case they seem to be bolder where I've made a correction:crying: !

Keep up the great work...loving this WIP! Thanks!

Roger Evans
09-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Hello Roger...this is looking really great!:)

I have used the permanent sharpies in the past as I hate losing my original detail sketch...but I noticed that the marks bleed through, sometimes months later. Have you ever had this happen? In my case they seem to be bolder where I've made a correction:crying: !

No but I do not varnish my work, either. I think someone mentioned on another thread that the varnish will pull the lines back to the surface. I've never tried it but I can see that as a possibility.

Keep up the great work...loving this WIP! Thanks!

Thanks. However, I am having second thoughts about the shirt. It has some odd wrinkles and things that look okay in the original photo but aren't really "interesting" folds or draping of the cloth. I should have paid more attention when I shot the reference photo. The wrinkles don't translate well to the painting process and are too busy and distracting. I went ahead and finished the shirt just to see the process through but I'm most likely going to paint over the shirt and simplify the texture and draping. As it stands, I feel it's way too busy, especially with the fringe and other more interesting folds of the leather jacket and pants. I'll have to think about it......

Roger

pero lane
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
"No but I do not varnish my work, either. I think someone mentioned on another thread that the varnish will pull the lines back to the surface. I've never tried it but I can see that as a possibility."

Ah...you may be right! Thinking back it was always awhile after I varnished!

Can't give you any advice on the folds in the shirt...I tend to fix and change as I go along :lol: ...I'm sure it'll be great!

GoldenArt
09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Roger, I have watched your work before but I am reluctant to jump in because you always have such a large group to answer. Now it is time to get selfish, man this is a great painting. You can bet I will be lurking in on more and will be picking your brain for knowledge. The sharpie trick is good I will have to give that a try. The entire process you go through to do your work is logical and is very understanding. Some make it look so simple. Can't wait to see the finished painting.

jan409
09-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Roger, this is a great piece of work. I really like it you have done wonderful. Jan

Lady Carol
09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Yippee!! Another one of your WIPs. I love watching them unfold.

JamieWG
09-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Wonderful!

*Pulls up a chair to watch the show and, remembering that Carol likes popcorn, passes the bowl.*

Jamie

Andun
09-15-2007, 05:15 AM
What a learning experience these WIP's of yours are!!!:) I love 'em. BTW If you spray your marker drawing with hair spray after it dries it wouldn't bleed through your work later!!

Roger Evans
09-15-2007, 08:41 AM
What a learning experience these WIP's of yours are!!!:) I love 'em.

Thanks! It certainly adds a bit of performance anxiety, knowing that everyone is watching. :eek:

BTW If you spray your marker drawing with hair spray after it dries it wouldn't bleed through your work later!!

What brand? I actually tried that a long time ago when I first thought of using a Sharpie because I was afraid that it would bleed through later and the hairspray just made the Sharpie lines run and drip! Maybe a different brand.... Perhap if I sprayed after putting the base coat on the Sharpie, that would bind them in place. But can you paint on top of hair spray very well with acrylic? I dunno.

At any rate, the lines don't bleed through now as long as I don't varnish the final painting. I know lots of artists that don't varnish their acrylic paintings so I'm not too worried about it. Varnishing always scares me, anyway. I have heard so many stories about paintings getting bubbles or streaks in them after varnishing that it makes me afraid to do anything else after I sign my name!

Roger

Roger

Roger Evans
09-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Okay, I have officially spent more time on the shirt than I did on his entire head. Sheesh....

I didn't like the original shirt. It was too busy and didn't drape well. As I mentioned before, I should have paid more attention during the photo shoot. So I completely reworked the shirt and simplifed the drape and added toggle buttons, which were common at that time period.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_010.jpg

Also, while this photo is closer in color to the painting, it's still looking a bit pink in the background (should be tan) and the skin tones are going a bit on the green side. One of the problems of photographing a predominately brown tone painting, I think. Anyway, I can now move on to the rest of his clothes, hands, gun, etc.

Roger

idcrisis55
09-16-2007, 08:35 AM
I did like the pleated look of his shirt before but agree that this plainer look works better with his jacket. In studying your painting I noted the area under his chin and going down on to his chest. Is that a braid or part of his beard or chest hair? It isn't clear to me but that could be my vision which does play tricks on me at times. I like the way you blocked in the shapes/values on his hands and will watch with interest as you work that area more.

Roger Evans
09-16-2007, 01:03 PM
In studying your painting I noted the area under his chin and going down on to his chest. Is that a braid or part of his beard or chest hair?
It's neither. It was just an unfinished neck area. I had left it because I wasn't sure how I was going to handle the collar and shirt. Since then I've gone ahead and finished his neck, which has a crease/wrinkle in that area as well as a lot of chest hair. Also, even though this is a quasi-sepia, I had forgotten that he has blue eyes, so I've corrected that, as well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/89662-wip_man_012.jpg

I'm now working on his boots, the I'll work my way up his body as I progress from back to front, in terms of layers of clothing, pouches, fringe, etc.

Roger

LavenderFrost
09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
It's fun to see this line drawing taking form.

A thing about varnishing. I picked up a painting yesterday and saw a couple of shiny dots, thought something had somehow gotten on it. So I wiped it with a damp paper towel, and some purple paint came off. That's why I like to protect with a clear coat.

SunsetSue
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
This is coming along fabulously. I just love your WIP's

Roger Evans
09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Finished the boots and moved on to the ton-o-leather that I have to paint. Getting the right texture for raw leather is kinda tricky. What you don't want are smooth, defined brush strokes that reveal the painting process. Instead, you want a random, splotchy patten which sounds easier than it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/89662-wip_man_013.jpg

This is the base coat that I will work off of as I finish the leather coat and pants and bag. Note that the brown base layer is not even. To get this effect, I layed in a wash of Burnt Sienna mixed with lots of water. Then, before that completely dried, I used no water and applied another, heavier layer of Burnt Sienna in a constant swirling motion.

Here's a closer look:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/89662-wip_man_014.jpg

For leather, I have found that it is very imporant to have uninterrupted swirls so I tend to paint across obstructing objects like the gun and powder horn so that my brush strokes don't "bend" around foreground items. Basically, my goal is trying to emulate the bad technique of painting that we all did when we first started painting long ago; very uneven and spotchy. For leather, I have found that it works great!

I have to let this dry really, really well before I start putting in the shadows and highlights because, for that, I tend to drybrush so the canvas has to be really solid.

Roger

Alison2
09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Just stunning Roger! Thanks for sharing this in stages and for the lovely close-ups. Amazing work!

Alison2:wave:

Roger Evans
09-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Been busy over the last few days and no time to paint! :(

Anyway, managed to make further progress on the leather coat and pants this evening. This is not finished but just a loose wash of Burnt Sienna and Black in a 50/50 mix to establish the folds and lay of the leather. I still need to subdue the shadows and punch the highlight areas to give it some depth but this gives an idea of what's coming.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2007/89662-wip_man_015.jpg

Also, I have decided to make the pouch a lighter deerskin instead of the red leather to make it stand out. Otherwise everthing has the same tone. Bor-ring!

Later!

Roger

edtree
09-20-2007, 06:36 AM
The leather is great, Roger! Good idea to make the pouch a bit different. Thanks so much for sharing your methods. Your WIPS are always wonderful lessons! :)

Elizabeth

C_Line
09-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Very ambitious project, coming along so well. Definitely has the historical feel with the monochromatic take.

Roger Evans
09-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Finished the leather coat, pants, pouch and power horn.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_017.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_018.jpg

I changed the pouch to a lighter buckskin to add contast.

One interesting note, after initially completing the coat and pants, they didn't seem "heavy" as they should be, even though I was faithful to the photo, in terms of lay of the fabric, thickness, etc. Of course, what works in reality often doesn't translate to a painting. After some thought, I made the fringe thicker and gave it a heavier shadow. Now you can feel the weight of the leather as it hangs from his arms and body.

In fact, I have decided to change the name of the painting from "Pathfinder" to "Heavy Leather", perhaps. Still thinking about it, though.....

Next is the gun and then the hands and, perhaps, a bit of touch up here and there.

Roger

Roger Evans
09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Okay, because I am hopelessly indecisive, I have changed the background yet again.

I just felt that, since this was become a full-fledged color painting, the pale tan background just didn't cut it. Also, the tan kept turning pink, depending on the lighting, so I decided to go with a two tone avacado/olive drab look for the background. I think this contrasts with the redish buckskin nicely and his face doesn't get lost in the tan background. Also, I added a bit of color to his cheeks as he was looking a bit pale before.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2007/89662-man_wip_19.jpg

I have to re-establish the gun barrel, etc, but the end is in sight. Hopefully, I'll get this damned thing finished tomorrow! :)

Roger

idcrisis55
09-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Bravo, Roger! It is looking terrific. I like the background color better too although it feels a bit plain. Perhaps it is because there is no delineation between the wall and the floor? Just my thoughts. :)

Roger Evans
09-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Bravo, Roger! It is looking terrific. I like the background color better too although it feels a bit plain. Perhaps it is because there is no delineation between the wall and the floor? Just my thoughts. :)

You are correct. I have added a "divider" behind him on the final painting, which can be found here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6064437#post6064437

Roger