PDA

View Full Version : Nandina

C_Line
09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
"Labor" Day weekend meant LOTS of labor for my husband and I. We planned to redo our kitchen, but didn't plan to redo his office (ripping up carpet for hardwoods underneath...the last vestige of carpet is now GONE! :clap: :clap: :clap: ) Anyway, that meant more painting, hanging window treatments, etc. And my master plan of getting behind the easel to paint my new kitchen painting was questionable on Saturday...anyway, we got the final painting/remodel done last night and I was able to get to my easel this afternoon. This is a 24" x 36" acrylic on illustration board painted from life and designed to have an Asian feel. I love Nandinas for their angular leaves and lovely berries. These berries weren't ripe yet and have turned rather greyish after a couple days. My objective here was to create a texturally warm painting that would "pop" in the black frame against the grey-blue wall.

I see some things I would have done differently now, but all in all, I was pleased the way it turned out. I enjoyed glazing over with a brownish glaze over everything and scrubbing off some of the color in different places.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/94054-NANDINA_SMALL.JPG

Fozbot
09-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Celeste, i'm trying to picture this against a grey-blue wall and i like what i'm imagining! your palette is excellent and it does have an Asian feel to it. the leaves remind me of bamboo and i love those purple berries.

C_Line
09-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks Billie - Here's a photo of it against the wall: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6009900&postcount=1

Fozbot
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
stunning! you hit the mark with your color choices, Celeste.:)

debsn2paintn
09-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Beautiful Celeste I really love what you did with the background. Look beautiful on the wall too.

C_Line
09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks Billie and Deb.

~frangipani~
09-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Beautiful, it fits in well with your asian theme. The leaves of the Nandina remind me of the chinese paintings of bamboo, simplistic but expressive. :thumbsup: