PDA

View Full Version : September Pastel Strokes

Westerngirl
09-03-2007, 02:43 PM
September Pastel Strokes

Welcome to the September 2007 edition of PASTEL STROKES!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
* The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.
* Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

Below is your photo reference for September. This was taken from my deck in the mountains of northern Colorado, and is a familiar scene here each early autumn. I hope you enjoy it! I'm pleased to be hosting this month's Pastel Strokes, and I encourage you to have fun with this month's painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/58501-Copy_of_Copy_of_SandCreekOct_047.jpg

Happy painting!

Deb

Deborah Secor
09-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh wow! Deb, sorry you have to 'suffer' through such a view all the time. I'd never paint--I'd be too busy looking!

If time and tide allow I'd love to take part here... we'll see! People will LOVE this one, I'm sure.

Deborah

Donna T
09-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Deb, I LOVE this! What a gorgeous view. I'll try to get it done before all those leaves fall down.

Donna T

LJW
09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
A lovely fall tapestry. You are very lucky to have this view! Jane

Mary Brigid
09-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Deb,
This is a gorgous photo. Lucky you to have such a view to look out upon.
I will definetly have a go at this... Thank you Deb
Mary Brigid

Westerngirl
09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Deborah, I DO hope you find time to participate in this one. I thought this might be your type of scene! And yes, sometimes it is hard to find the time to paint, but usually because of all the summer and fall visitors we have!

Still tryin' to find the time to do this scene from my deck! :lol:

Deb

Westerngirl
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Donna, you have some time yet to do this one......leaves have just barely started turning here yet.....when they are fully turned I should take another pic as every year is a bit different.

Good luck with this one. I'm anxious to see the results!

Deb

Westerngirl
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Jane and Mary, yes I do feel blessed to live in this beautiful area. But I also know that after all those leaves fall, that wet white stuff covers everything! :D

Good luck with your painting, Mary!

Deb

Paula Ford
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh...gorgeous photo! Isn't it wonderful that you have such beautiful scenery to see!

Paula

Pat Isaac
09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
What an awesome view.....I'm not much into landscapes, but I would love to try this.

Pat

Shirl Parker
09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I look forward to doing this one, just as soon as I get back from my watercolor workshop.

Shirl

JKiv
09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi! The photo is absolutely great! I have painted only a few landscapes, but had to try this one. So this is my attempt to catch some of that atmosphere. The trees look too blazing :)

alija1001
09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
JKiv very nice. Love the colours. Well done

Donna T
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow! That's beautiful, JKiv! Great work on those trees. Nice clouds too.

Donna T

Pat Isaac
09-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done and the color is great, nice and warm.

Pat

JKiv
09-06-2007, 04:52 AM
Thank you! There`s still something in this painting that bothers me. Maybe the lack of airyness... don`t really know... But I`m quite happy with it. I`d like to try to paint a new one from a different angle. :)

Westerngirl
09-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Wow, JKiv, that is terrific! And those trees really ARE blazing in real life, so I think you've captured it well. What size is your painting?

Sometimes I think my Colorado paintings need more air and atmosphere, too, but because of the lack of humidity (not today....it rained all night!), the air here really is crisp and bright.

Good job!

Waiting for some more paintings now.........:D

Paula Ford
09-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Beautiful work Jane!!

Paula

JKiv
09-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Deb... thank you for your words. I tought I should paint more landscapes to get more confidence but all the kind words work as well :) The size of the painting is 20x30cm.
-JK

LJW
09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
JKiv, excellent painting, very colourful trees. Jane

knippes
09-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow, for someone who has only painted a few landscapes, you have done an amazing job with this! I love the quality of light. I am from Colorado and I think that you nailed it. Great job!
--Kym

Hi! The photo is absolutely great! I have painted only a few landscapes, but had to try this one. So this is my attempt to catch some of that atmosphere. The trees look too blazing :)

ElizaLeahy
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh how lovely! All I see is my rotting fence and neighbours roofs! As soon as I finish what I have to oil paint today out come my pastels!!! :)

Thank you for such a lovely scene!

ElizaLeahy
09-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Working large uses a lot of pastel, no?

ElizaLeahy
09-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't know how to make the pictures a thumbnail so here it is

It's Unison and Schmenkie with a little pastel pencil for the tree trunks.

It's on ColorFix white paper and it is 14" x 13". It's not really blurry - that's the photo :)

I wanted to use different textures. I don't think I got a good sense of depth - any advice?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2007/4490-pastellandscape.jpg

Tressa
09-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Ok, I attempted this one, but must admit, fall is probably my weakest landscape .....ugh..Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2007/76189-PICT0001-1.JPG

Pat Isaac
09-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Nice work Eliza and Tressa. You have a nice airy feeling, Eliza and Tressa your fall colors are stunning.

Pat

Constellation
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
I had posted this elsewhere but seem to be the only one that did... so here is my interpretation of that painting.... I "upped" the color somewhat and did a little cropping. Donna Rothhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2007/72213-wetcanvas.jpg
about 9 X 12 on blueish toned colorfix.... many diffeerent pastels. Donna Roth

JKiv
09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Eliza... I think it works! It was nice to scroll and see the image coming in the open little by little, the more I saw the more I was amazed by the colors! I think the sense of depth works nicely. What do you think about the colour of the distant trees on the hill? Would it create more sense of depth if they were more bluish? I`m a novice in painting landscapes but that is what I noticed :) although it`s great like that too!

Tressa... I think there`s nothing weak in your painting! I like the colors SO much!! And the clarity! I think the painting is great!

-Jane K

LJW
09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Three great interpretations. Eliza, I love your foreground grasses, which I think contribute to a sense of depth, and the blue of the sky is wonderful. Tressa, you have really caught the tapestry effect of the scene. I really like your colour choices - I think you do fall very well. Donna, this is a lovely soft version, with a sense of rolling hills receding into the distance. Jane

bachfan
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Tressa, your is beautiful. If is that really the weakest? At least I cannot tell.

It has a wonderful wash-out feeling, a special autumnal feeling, with clear and sparse air. The technique reminds me Winslow Homer's some water-color. Well done.
[quote=Tressa]Ok, I attempted this one, but must admit, fall is probably my weakest landscape .....ugh..Tres
quote]

bachfan
09-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Eliza, your color is so wonderful. I think it is even more dramatic than the real picuture.

I love Donna's work too. I like the subtle play of shapes of big areas: triangles with different slope.

I only wish pictures can be sharper to see the detail.

bachfan
09-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Jane, this is great! It has a warm feeling, almost like burning. The trees and the hint of warm pink in the cloud. I sense the original picture is more like a late morning picture in which light is suffuse in volumn yet pale in color. Your intepretation reminds me a late afternoon version when light tips more color from the sun and the cumulus humilis dwindles to small patches like those in M. J. Heade's infinite panoramas

Westerngirl
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Here I am, gone for a day, and three new paintings when I check back in! :thumbsup:

I like all three. It's so much fun to see how each one interprets the scene differently.

Eliza, I love the nice bright colors you used! If you want to create more of a sense of depth, you might try lightly skimming either a blue or lavender pastel in the same value over the warmer colors in the distance; that sometimes helps the area to "sit down" and not pop up in the picture plane as much as the foreground.

Tres, I love the sky in your painting! It also has a nice abstract feel, which I think works really well for this scene.

Donna, I love the great fall color; it looks very similar to what I actually see here. Also like the crop.

I'm impressed with all the paintings! :clap:

Karen Margulis
09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Great paintings so far! It's fun to see how everyone interprets the scene. Thank you Deb for the great photo. How lucky to have such an awesome view! Here is my attempt at the scene. I'm looking forward to see more!
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2007/53551-sept_07_010.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Nice fall painting, Donna. Especially like the foreground trees.
Really beautiful take on the scene, Karen. The foreground grasses, trees and receding hills are just perfect.

Pat

LJW
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Excellent rendition Karen. LOVE those foreground trees. Jane

Tressa
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
After much working over with new input, and I just wasn't happy here is the reworked version..Thanks Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2007/76189-PICT0006-2.JPG

Westerngirl
09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Karen, I really like the nice, loose feeling in your painting....beautiful work!

Tres, I like this one too. So much different from the first version. You said it was reworked, but it looks like a whole new painting, with a whole new "feeling"!

We have some really inspiring paintings so far. It makes me want to see those fall colors coming in & getting out to paint them!

Tressa
09-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Thanks Deb, this has been a great challenge for me as I have nothing like it in my area to compare...no rolling hills, just flat marshes..or streams..and those fall colors always try to get the best of me..
Tres

knippes
09-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Karen,
I just love your rendition of this photo. Your "stroke work" (is that the right term for pastels?) is just amazing. I also really enjoy the colors that you used.
--Kym

knippes
09-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Tressa,
I really like your new version (liked the first one too though). It really gives a feel of the foothills here in Colorado. I think your fall colors are great - very realistic to me.
--Kym

beautifulbay
09-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm new on here, but had to say that I love Karen's painting! That is gorgeous! Maybe I'll try this one myself.......????

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, all amazing works. There are so many variations it is hard to pick a favorite!

LJW
09-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Tressa, I liked the first version, but I also like the way you have softened the background trees in this version. Jane

beautifulbay
09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, I tried this one, it's my first landscape in pastels...It was really fun to do. I had to take a photo of it on my easel, as it was a bit too large to fit my scanner....(my scanner only takes up to an 8 1/2 X 11 ...this is a 9X12. Critiques are welcomed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2007/115328-falllandscape.jpg

Paula Ford
09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
WOW, I just love seeing all of your versions! They are all terrific!

Well, here is mine. It's done on Uart sanded paper with mostly Mount Visions and deMarrias pastels. The size is approx. 9"x6"ish.

:wave: Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2007/1978-Sept_Pastel_Strokes.JPG

beckyboo
09-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Nice pictures, everyone! Paula- I love the vibrancy of your colours! Actually, I like all the paintings posted so far. I'd like to have a go at it. (I'm feeling inspired). It will be my first pastel posting! (If it works)
Rebecca.

beautifulbay
09-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Oh, very nice Paula!

I have a question, because I'm a wildlife artist, and have never really done landscapes....in one like this, should you start with the foreground or background first??

Paula Ford
09-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Natalie,

I start with the background first, or work from top to bottom most of the time.

Where are you from in the Adirondacks? They are the absolute LOVE of my life. I lived in Old Forge for many years. I think about Old Forge and that area every single day!!!

Paula

beautifulbay
09-09-2007, 09:44 AM
oh good, I started with BG as well, since it's easier not to smudge. I think mine turned out looking like I was looking at it from on top of a hill....But for the most part, I'm happy with it, but I think I need to go darker on my colors....

I'm about 45 minutes from Old Forge, we go there a lot, I love it up there. I live on the boarder of the Adirondack region, that way I don't have all the rules and limitations of living in the actual park zone. We really enjoy it here.

Westerngirl
09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Natalie, that is excellent work for your first landscape attempt in pastel! I especially like how you rendered the grassy areas, and I really get a good sense of depth. :clap: Hopefully, this scene somewhat "hooked" you so that you will try more landscapes.

Paula Ford
09-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmmm, I don't see Natalie's painting.

Westerngirl
09-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Paula, you've captured the feel of a beautiful Colorado fall day wonderfully!
I love it! :thumbsup:

Westerngirl
09-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Whoops, I used Beautifulbay's name (Natalie) instead of her username. Sorry to be confusing!

LJW
09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Nice work, Natalie and Paula, great fall colours. Jane

Constellation
09-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Beautiful paintings from everyone.... It is such fun to see such different interpretations of the same photo and realize that it is our many differences that make this world so amazing as people and as artists. Terrific Job, everyone! Donna Roth

Tressa
09-10-2007, 06:57 AM
THIS IS THE LAST TIME I AM POSTING THIS DARN PICTURE!!!:lol:
I worked on this some to refine as the second time felt too washed out and unfinished, so here is the final one...no more pleeese!!! Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/76189-PICT0009.JPG

Pat Isaac
09-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Stunning, Paula and I like your finish, Tres. Sign it.

Pat

Donna T
09-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I've been away for a few days and just looked at all the beautiful landscapes that you all have done! I am really impressed with everyone's work, so many beautiful interpretations. Eliza, Tressa, Donna, Karen, Natalie and Paula - nice work!!!

Donna T

beautifulbay
09-10-2007, 08:43 AM
hmmm, maybe I'll have to re-do mine....it looks so flat compared to the other ones here...I'm actually astonished I tried it, I always avoid doing landscapes....but I'm trying to get past my boundaries and do new subjects and I'd like to start putting more natural backgrounds into my wildlife...so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to improve the look of my painting, I'd appreciate it....it needs some beefing up...thanks!

BetsyPriesing
09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
wow, i haven't paid attention to commenting again...just looking around like always....:o

JKiv i like the softness giving the hills a rolling feeling to them, the colors are the same as i would use
Eliza i do think you achieved a sense of delpth expecially the back hills
Tess because i'm a bit of a lurker....i got to see all 3 painting versions you did and love what you finished with. The blues pull the whole painting together and its eye catching now!
Donna very nice, i like the touch of blues to the hills it ties the sky to the hills sort pulling them back i think
Karen nothing more to say about it, looks beautiful...as always. I love the blues(do you see a pattern here) that you have in the forground....can you tell me which it is...brand/color?
beautiful baby you have a good 1st landscape! My 1st i wouldn't show anyone....
Paula its a nice bright painting especially with the addition of the pinks to the hills....

that will teach me not to keep up.....one of my weaknesses....C&C

:) :heart: :)

Tressa
09-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Betsy, and everyone else...
Tres

alija1001
09-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Well here it is. Have finnished it but everyone else has been able to put more detail into theres.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/78136-Picture_Painted.jpg

Donna T
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Gill, I hope that's not a thumbs down symbol? Honestly, I like this very much. There is no rule that I know of that says that all good art must contain lots of detail. I admire the bands of color you used and the barest indication of tree trunks. This has a Wolf Kahn-ish appeal to me and try as I might, I cannot keep from adding too many details to my paintings. You expressed the essence of this scene- something which is way more important than details, IMHO. Nice job!

Donna T

alija1001
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Donna. I just like to see the coulours.

BetsyPriesing
09-10-2007, 10:55 PM
hi all,

Gill i agree with Donna color is the way to go, i tend to gravitate more to the colorful paintings myself....:)

i finially got something done.....its 14x10" watercolor paper and i have spent almost the whole night trying to get the colors appear to what they are.....not quite so yellow a more subdude orange, if i change that then all the others are off.....it got a little fuzzy when i saved it as a web shot. oh well ...here it is.... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2007/103534-colorado3web.jpg

alija1001
09-11-2007, 04:44 AM
Betsy love your picture. You also seem to like the lighter colours.

LJW
09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Betsy, that's a great interpretation. I love your cross-hatching strokes, they seem to go along with the fall tapestry idea. I also think the addition of a variety of colours in the open field area is a great idea.

Gill, yours as a more abstract feel to it. I might suggest adding a few more colours to the central grey area for interest. Jane

Donna T
09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Betsy, I like how you concentrated on only a small part of the picture... the trees really stand out. Great colors and I love seeing the strokes you used.

Donna T

Tressa
09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Gil, your colors are great and this does have a rather abstract look, and no one says you gotta have detail:thumbsup:

Betsy, you crosshatching was a definite hit with this one, the way the strokes just move right into one another..and your colors are great to me..
Tres

BetsyPriesing
09-12-2007, 07:30 AM
gill yep i tend to have something pretty bright in my stuff

Jane thanks im really trying to make crosshatching work....i love all the stuff i see with it done in other artists. when i put the field in origanially it stood out like a sour thumb.

donnna and tres thank you i was hoping that i could make it work in a different type of picture than i have been doing.

bachfan
09-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Gil, it is fantastic. I love the feeling. Details may distract people from your wonderful colors.

Well here it is. Have finnished it but everyone else has been able to put more detail into theres.

Westerngirl
09-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Gill, I like the transparency, watercolor look your painting has. I seem to always add on too much pastel; must work on getting it right the first time instead of relying on too many layers!

Betsy, I love the crosshatching! Something I should use more often. I also like your close, intimate crop of the scene.

Good work, everyone! :thumbsup:

cbransto
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Still learning...this was a good one for me to try my hand at a distant landscape. This is on a 4x6 piece of paper - so maybe if I'd done it larger I wouldn't have found details so difficult.
I had started this after I saw Karen's approach and I thought how brilliant! I wish I'd thought to use dark paper too. I like looking at all the different skies that people created - for some it's a clear blue day; for others, it's quite misty. Nice work everyone.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2007/109924-coloradolandscape.jpg

~Christy
My blog (http://www.shushers.ca/christy/dustmeoff/)

Westerngirl
09-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Christy, I like the bright warm colors you have used, especially the oranges in the foreground trees. Nice work!

One thing I noticed; I see a black cat shape in the foreground tree shadows. Do you see it? :p You might want to change that shape a bit, unless it's just me who has cats on my mind because one is sitting on my lap sleeping right now! ;)

LJW
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Christy, I like your warm colours, and I see too see the cat shape. Jane

Donna T
09-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Very nice, Christy! You did a lot with a small piece of paper. Great colors on your trees. They are the star of the show.

Donna T

MSusie
09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Eliza, Tressa and Donna ... I think they all work well. Nice color selection, lots of movement. Eliza ... if you feel you need more depth, take a look at Donna's forground for an example. But I like what you've done.

Marie

BetsyPriesing
09-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Deb thank you for your comments i cropped it because i didn't think i would be able to get that special distant feeling for that area of the country.

ooh christy i see the kitty too! :cat: did you just wiggle alittle dark green and orange around the edges to lesson it? its funny how these little shapes pop up out of nowhere ...to combate my own shape making abilities i started using my 12 year old daughter to find shapes in my paintings...she enjoys being able to give contructive advice to mommy :)

Paula i was looking back through the paintings and your struck me as giving so much emotion to it....a moodiness i really like that!

Deb when i started looking through the site last Feb some of the moderators would take all the paintings and post them on one page together can we still do that? It was cool to see everyones different styles, colors, and different cropping of the same pictures?:)

Donna T
09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, here's mine. I decided to try a tall skinny format. It lost a lot when I had to make it fit the WC! image sizes. C&C most welcome but I will tell you that I have never had any luck using yellows and it was all I could do to not make these trees red and orange maples! 8x16 on Colorfix

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/97763-aspens_for_WC.jpg
Donna T

artastic
09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
what a great photo Deb, and right in your back yard as it were
well, I am neither a pastelist, nor a landscape panter, but this photo just cried out for me to tryhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/104250-sept_pastel_.jpg

this was painted on 9x12 Terra Cotta Colorfix, (the first time I used colorfix, and have to say I LOVE it) with W&N softies

BeckyMc
09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
There's so many beautiful paintings - I need to go back and review them all. This is my version, which I want to post before I diddle with it any more. I generally work in Oil Pastels, so I haven't quite learned all of the proper techniques for Soft Pastel. One thing I need to do is take the soft pastels out of their individual boxes and arrange them all together by value/color. Right now I keep opening up the different boxes as I go along and playing with all of the pretty colors, when I should leave well enough alone...

This is 9x12 on Art Spectrum Colorfix and I meant to leave a lot of the paper showing, but I kept adding more and more of the different pastels....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/45982-SeptPS.jpg

calice
09-15-2007, 07:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/92716-Colorado_hill_small_size.jpg

Hi! I've been absent awhile but couldn't resist this picture. I just got some Terry Ludwig pastels- sunset collection and intense darks 2- there are a little of these in here. It is on Canson orange paper.
Thanks for the fun!
Blessings,
Calice

LJW
09-15-2007, 07:29 PM
My, lots more interpretations, with different colours and emphases. Well done all. Jane

BetsyPriesing
09-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Calice it is a lovely soft flow leading to the distant mountains, the colors give it a serene feeling. Great riot of orange in the front!

Becky i love the angular qualities of this painting it looks as though you used a pallet knife to slide the color around.

Artastic are you sure your not either one? It is a good painting....it reminds me of multi colored prints. I'm sure you'll need to do another....:)

Donna yours comes across very well. I know what you mean about yellows though they always slide into oranges for me too. I like how you focused on the mid ground of the painting and letting the mountains fuzz out....i have been reading about that alot on the board and will try on my next landscape....to not bring everything to focus.

Westerngirl
09-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Wow! I'm really impressed with these paintings!

So many different styles, and it seems that different aspects of the scene are brought out into full bloom by different artists......very interesting!

This is a really good body of work, everybody! :thumbsup:

bachfan
09-16-2007, 09:49 AM
First time to try Velour. I can hardly make any mark onto the soft paper and was frustrated throughout. Oh, well, now it is the end of it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/115071-207_0748New.jpg

bachfan
09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi! I've been absent awhile but couldn't resist this picture. I just got some Terry Ludwig pastels- sunset collection and intense darks 2- there are a little of these in here. It is on Canson orange paper.
Thanks for the fun!
Blessings,
Calice

Calice, yours is so beautiful. I love the whole atmosphere, there is inner light coming out of your autumnal picture.

Donna T
09-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Bonnie, This is very nice! If you love Colorfix you must be a pastelist. It's my favorite surface so far and I hope you will continue to try out those pastels of yours.

Becky, I really love the loose way you painted the trees. They could almost be moving in the wind. Very nice!

Calice, Your trees just glow! I'll bet you are loving those Ludwigs. I only have 10 sticks and can't wait to get more.

Lin, This looks great! I've never used velour but like the soft effect it gives. Your trees are vibrant and your sky is beautifully done!

Donna T

Mary Brigid
09-19-2007, 05:56 AM
the work here is awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap: It is delightful to see how everyone has represented Deb's wonderful photo.
Well last night I tried this on Velour paper using the panpastels and I could not manage it at all. :eek: I reckon I was too heavy handed and the little aplicaters and rubbers left marks on the paper. I gave up half way through..... needless to say it shall never see the light of day :o
But it was fun. :)
Congrats to each and evryone of you on your lovely work
Mary Brigid :wave:

CJMonty
09-20-2007, 01:52 AM
Christy,

This is the only way I can let you know that I have left you a message on your blog under "comments" with your latest painting of the milk bottle, however it is not registering as having a comment left there so you wouldn't be aware and you don't have PM access from here. Love your botanical paintings on your blog, well done.

Take Care

Carolynn :)

SandyRGA
09-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Here’s my try. I found this one quite difficult, and made a few attempts (4, to be honest). There was some improvement but I continued to have trouble even though I tried to learn from what others have posted. What I found the hardest to get better at was dealing with shadows in this yellowy scene. The large, really dark area up front kept looking out of place and like some kind of ominous monster, and I couldn’t seem to get any shadows or definition in the midground yellow trees. It seems to be more difficult with yellow than green. Any tips would be gratefully received!

This is soft pastel on cream pastel paper, about 7” by 9”.

Sandy

Tressa
09-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Sandy, I think you achieved beautiful colors in your yellows, and I know what you mean about that dark area in the front. I had a fight with that part also:lol: ...
One thing your could try, is to not make the dark area quite so rounded, to change the shape abit, and the edges not so smooth. That might help you dissatisfaction there.
Good job, nevertheless.
Tres

ElleZee
09-23-2007, 10:14 AM
JKiv - Beautiful! Can't believe you don't do landscapes (or many of them)!!! You definately nailed this one.

ElizaLeahy - Gorgeous work! Very nice depth.

Tressa - The first one is very textural feeling.....and do I see a little of a first snow hidding among the trees? I like it! I also really like what you've done on the next piece as well. Completely differnt feeling to it. Both are wonderful or their own qualities.

constellation - I love the play of shapes and diagonals you have going. Great palette, too!

Karen - STUNNING! Love the looseness and bold colour application!!!! Those blues in the shadows are genius!!!

beautifulbay -What a great first landscape in pastel! Well done.

Paula - Love the broken colour application. Gorgeous! I am trying to do more of that, but find it very difficult to do well.

alija1001 - WOW! Do I love that crosshatching!!!! The colour layering is increadable. That makes me want to run out and buy softies!!!! Absolutely beautiful.

cbransto - Christy, very nie work and good job on the depth. Great sky, too!

Donna - That foreground is super! Love the sense of depth you achieved. Beautiful work.

artastic - Great movement in this piece! Very lively and full of energy both through your line work and colour choices. Great job!!!

Becky - VERY COOL!!! :thumbsup: Love the application and palette.

calice - Beautifull interpretation!

bachfan -Lin, lovely effect. Excellent work on the sky.

Sandy - Very nice depth you have going. Your yellows are vibrant and clean. Well done!

Well, kinda showing up at the end of the party :D ...but at least I'm still in September. Beautiful reference Deb! Thank you for hosting this month. That is some amazing backyard you have to play in. Funny though, my artwork is reminding me of my trip to New Brunswick last fall. Same sort of landscape. I am sure the actual landscape is extremely different, but from the ref and my interpretaion of it, it could be from my vacation.

Here is my interpretation. Some things I like about it, some things I don't. Chalk it up to learning.

Autumn Hills, 8"x10" Oil Pastels (Senn and Holbein) on red mat board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2007/67205-fallcolours.JPG

I am still doing some tweaking here and there...need more work/layers on the distant hills and foreground. Suggestions?....C & C's please :D

LJW
09-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Lori, this is coming along really well. Love the colours, and the cross-hatching works well for the field areas. Since you asked, I do have a couple of suggestions: I think the white tree trunks in the foreground are too eye-catching, and, given the height of the foreground evergreen and the height of the yellow leafy area above the trunks, they seem too tall. Larry Seiler has a rule of thumb which is that the ratio of trunk to leaf mass is 1/3 to 2/3. At the moment, yours looks more like 1/2 to 1/2. In the photo, it would appear that the whitish-grey trunks are completely bare and in front of the trees with leaves, as opposed to the situation which you have shown. I think your take on it is much better - just bring the yellow leaves down the trunks more. One other thing, the large cloud is connected to the hill in a way which makes it look a bit like smoke rising from an active volcano. I think I'd leave some blue between it and the hill. Otherwise, I think the sky and clouds are really well rendered. Hope you don't mind the suggestions. Jane

ElleZee
09-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks Jane! Great advice...what, you don't like my mushroom trees? :lol: :lol: Great "rule of thumb" I will try to do something about that....I guess I can just scrape back some of the shadow trunk area and try to bring those leaves down? What do you think? Dark op's I find a bit tricky to fix. And I see what you mean about the cloud....I knew something was off there, but did quite put my finger on it. At one point it looked like a mouse jumping over the hill :lol: but I managed to change that at least..... I will try to fix it, too.

Thank you so much for the C & C, I need that kind of input and I really admire your work with the oilies, so it's extra special. :D

LJW
09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I would generally scrape out what I can and then remove the rest with odourless mineral spirits on a Q-tip. But I'm not sure how the mat board will stand up to that treatment. Maybe you can try it on a scrap first. Artspectrum Colourfix or Wallis stand up to that treatment just fine, but they are coated. Jane

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
jkiv. I love the way you caught the curve of the hills. Well done

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Eliza. It is lovely. It has great flow.
Tressa. Your painting is beautiful. At first glance it could pass as watercolour.
Donna. Great crop. I love the rolling hills and the reflective sunshine.

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Karen!!!!!!! breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!! frame and show.
Tres. Your reworking was worthwhile. I love the clouds.
beautifulbay. i love the depth you have created . Well done

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Paula . great work. I hope you took your pastels outside and drew from life lol!
Tress. I think we can say you really commited to this months challenge. Well done.

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Gill. GREAT WORK! Ilove it. I love the vibrant colours.
Betsy. I love the texture, and the strokes you used. I must give that style a go.
Christy. Well done. I love it.

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Donna. I love the different crop. I think the detail in the forground amazing.
Bonnie . you should do more landscapes, and use more pastels. You obviously enjoyed doing thisso much.
Calice. awsome soft texture. Well done.
Lin. You did well.

Tracy Lewis
09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Sandy . You have done well. Great job. I just realized that September is nearly over and I still haven't done this. A must do for tomorrow.

Westerngirl
09-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I just realized that September is nearly over and I still haven't done this. A must do for tomorrow.

Yeah, time is slippin' away for me, too! But I have sure enjoyed looking at everyone else's work........really impressive! Good jobs, everyone!:thumbsup:

kmonroe6
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Hello Deb!

Just curious, is that a picture of the southeastern side of Bull Mtn, going down to Sand Creek Pass?

Thx
Ken