PDA

View Full Version : Orchidacae

chaosia
09-03-2007, 07:22 AM
I took a break from my usual fantasy work, to do something i haven't done in awhile, draw flowers. I chose orchids as they are my favourite and i have lots of references (i have oOo 300+ photos of them). Anyways sketch freehand in pencil on smooth cartridge paper 220gsm and coloured using watercolour pencils.
Ok the white and orange and pale pink are Phalaenopsis, the bottom orangey one i think might be too. The dark pink one is an Encyclia orchid- otherewise known as clamshell orchids. The big brown and pink one is an Oncidium (known as Cambria orchids), and i believe the orange one to be a Cattleya but unsure. The pale green one is a madagascar star orchid, also known as Darwin's orchid 'Angraecum sesquipedale'.
I have realised i've somehow grouped all the pale ones and composition doesn't quite work but it was fun and relaxing to do.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/91382-orchids.JPG

Lady Carol
09-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Nice. Interesting collection. Orchids are one of my favs too.

ranunkel
09-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Lovely orchids!

it was fun and relaxing

It looks like you had a nice time, and I think that is the most importuned thing about painting:)

chaosia
09-03-2007, 11:35 AM
hehe yes if it's irritating then you never really like the outcome.

Katherine T
09-03-2007, 12:11 PM
How lovely to have so many photos to choose from.

I'm a big fan of pencils and always like to learn about different people's approaches. I was wondering whether you always use watercolour pencils on cartridge paper? Have you ever tried artists' coloured pencils or any different surfaces eg watercolour paper?

chaosia
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
i'm new to watercoloured pencils and have only done about 5 pieces of artwork with them. I have used normal watercolours on watercolour paper.
I mainly use derwent artist colouring pencils and have found smooth cartridge to be a nice working surface for them. Though have used some slightly rougher paper when colouring on coloured paper as that bit of roughness helps to show the colour better, especially on black paper. To rough though and it just eats the pencil. Hmm have also use the cheapy paper you get for printers XD Think that is it i think.

bayoudragon
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey Chaosia! :wave:

Nice work! These really came out lovely! I really like the dark pink one...very elegant. :)

I bet you could do a real knock-out one on darker paper... *hint, hint* ;) :D

Fozbot
09-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Becky, what an abundunce of beautiful orchids! i agree with Angela, i'd love to see you do this again on a dark background. it would make those paler orchids pop.

chaosia
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Thankies BD and Billie, hehe watercolour pencils on dark paper OOoo sumthing new to try *adds it to the to do list* XD damn it too many things to do!
i did think about doing background colour but couldn't decide what colour.