PDA

View Full Version : Newbiee

Slowdown
05-25-2002, 02:02 PM
:D Hi people, I have been searchin everwhere for a site like this one, FANTASTIC!!
I am a newbiee, infact very new to pastels, bought my first colours last week and have been experimenting with them, I guess thats the best way to learn. I bought a set of Derwent pastels, 36 ranges of colour. A good allround mix. I was wondering if anyone has used these pastels and what they thought of them. I have read alot about Rembrandt pastels and others and I was curious as to how these Derwent pastels compare. Also I hate usin my fingers to blend tight areas of colour, is there any tool that I can buy that I could use for this purpose?
Whew....long post but I hope I get some good advice, its sites like this that make a beginers plunge less hazzardous. The world of pastel art is awsome and I have only just begun to sink my toes into its cool water, hopefully I get to paint some interesting pieces and share them here so that I can learn even more.

Luvy
05-25-2002, 03:25 PM
Welcome to Wet Canvas I've been working with pastels for a couple of months now. New to art since Jan of 2001. I've learned alot from the people here and you will too. I have stuff to blend with but mostly use qtips and kleenex. I use oil pastels. They have have several blending tools but can't spell them Begins with a t LOL Sort of looks like torillia or something like that I have them but don't use them. I'm learning by trial and error. I'm self teaching myself everything. I"ve gotten a great library of drawing books portrait figures You name it I have it *S*

Good luck We have some great pastelist here that can help you

djstar
05-26-2002, 11:22 AM
I get my fingers plenty dirty from just drawing!
The nifty thing about pastel which is not apparent as you begin is that the process of using color over color in this medium can create richness, not mud like most media.
To get rid of the white spots in the middle of the strokes you really should start on toned paper.
It is a great leap and you will skip a lot of frustration if you begin your pictures on middle value pastel paper.
Gray is a nice fair place to start.
Another nice thing about sticks is the opacity allows you to work to dark and to light at the same time. When you begin on a toned or middle value surface, you can use the wonderful glowing lights that you can only find in pastel - rich high valued jewels in most hues, that stay light - and work UP to the lightest.
IF you want to break your surface down in large areas, stiff brushes are nice to knock the particles down.
Those charcoal torchons... or stomps (stumps) you can buy them... I have heard of people in the forums taking those cloth bandaids and smudging with it on the tip of their finger, if you have the need to stay away from the mess, but if tidiness is a priority, get into watercolors!
And about the brand...enjoy! They all have different personalities and if you love the texture you will be hooked. If you want them softer, contact Terry Ludwig, his melt in your mouth. IF you think harder is better, Holbein are nice to experiment with, if they are not hard enough, get those nupastels, they are both less expensive and last. They can be sharpened so you can use small strokes to fill in the blank spaces instead of smudging.
And keep checking the side of your nose, there is always going to be a black smudge!!
Your pal and good luck,
dj*

Slowdown
05-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the advice fellow artists, I knew I could depend on you guys for advice, and great advice too, Oh and dj, that smudge on the nose....................hehehe have been through that already.