PDA

View Full Version : Stippling questions

jmfletch
08-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Got a couple of stippling questions....

1 - Do you work methodically only placing dots on blank paper or do you work an area going for a particular tone and not worry if a couple of dots touch or overlap?

2 - Is it acceptable if one of the dots turns out to be a small line or do you "bin it" and start over?

.... Does the context of either make a difference? i.e. Don't care if it is in the shadow of a building or tree but start over if it is in the middle of someone's cheek?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
Joe

objectivistartist
08-30-2007, 11:28 PM
To me, much depends on how 'sticky' am regarding the particular project - most do not require etching-like methodicalness for me to be content with how it comes out, but for others, am sure some have more strict outlook to this, reflected by the number of hours they put into their work....

And should add that for me, rarely bin anything - if ye look over Reared Window, for instance, was MAJOR mishap - yet managed to save the piece - and to much aclaim, might add...:D

PVHooper
08-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Joe a good question, Robert has handled it very well, yes some work like machines where every dot has its place. I tend to work more organically by getting the tone sort of right and then neatening it up as I go along. Don't worry too much about a misplaced dot it will get lost in the millions of other dots, and might actually add character. Remember with stipple, you are actually working in tone and not line and thats why stipple is sometimes used in line drawings for shadow. I personally just stipple the whole thing.

Tammamo
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Great advise from great stipplers...
I just have a bit of a "philosophical" comment here, what I want to say is that we need to make a distinction between artwork and "perfection"... I do not think that a few misplaced dots or those that come, by mistake, to look like lines are good reasons for binning a piece... if we wanted perfectly placed dots without a mistake, we would have used computers as this is exactly what they do... what makes us humans and what makes it art is the imperfections that are in it and that are specific to each of us. I call that "character"..
But, afterall, this is only the opinion from a far-from-perfect stippler :)

objectivistartist
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't consider it as imperfection - but as variability.....:evil:

eef
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
These questions are very interesting. I can't say that I have ever binned a drawing cos of badly placed dots. I and most of us here use pretty much use the smallest of nibs. So for me to have gone to a point where my stippling is wrong and bin a drawing would have meant I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. The question of precision depends on the artist. I really like precision! I must admit that when I used to Stipple (I don't any more...Stipplers are all mad people!) all my dots were very much placed with care (see what I mean...MAD). I hated when another dot touched another when it should not have! Obviously mistakes can happen, and there are many ways to correct them.

I all depends on ones self. What art do you wanna produce? Personal preference should lead you there. Joe, what are your feelings/thoughts?

jmfletch
08-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Robert, Paul, Tammam and Ethan - Thank you for sharing your talent, skills and knowledge. It is much appreciated.

Looks like most of you go with the flow. I appreciate your candor. I am fairly new to P&I but struggling to learn as I am trying to complete a school portrait ( posted in another thread) before the new school is opened (Scheduled for Spring 08).

I am using multiple techniques in the piece but about half (possibly more) will be stippled. In my practice on some printouts I have been trying to use "Patience" and work methodically which I thought appeared to be easier with stippling and scrumbling than with hatching. (Not so sure any more.:confused: ) I had attributed this to hatching being a carryover technique from graphite where I work rather quickly ( despite great advice from Mike Sibley and Diane Wright in D&S that Patience was key - sounding familiar:rolleyes: )... Anyway I started to really examine my practice pieces and saw several "connected dots", "overlapped dots" and even a few stray lines. So I began to wonder if this was "acceptable" in the P&I community.

To answer Ethan -I really don't mind the "variabilities":D as I was going for a tone and I think I came pretty close. I believe for me it would go to context. In this case, a building, it would not bother me. I am going for an effect more than an exact image. If it were a portrait or if it caused a textural effect that was incongruent than I would scrub it. I guess that puts me officially on the fence.:cool:

As to pens I am using a set of Staedtler Pigment Liners (.01, .03, .05 and .07) and what is left of a Rapidocraft set which are the Extra Fine and Broad nibs. I switch pens depending on the tone. For the darker tones I have used the .07 and Broad. For grayer areas I used the .05, .03 and Extra Fine to varying degrees. I must admit to overlapping more with the larger nibs. But have created a few stray lines with the finer points.

Again I thank you all for your advice. This is one very talented forum!
Joe

P.S. Ethan and Paul - I went to your websites and your work is exquisite! :thumbsup:
Robert - I tried your site but it is apparently "under construction".:(

objectivistartist
08-31-2007, 08:26 PM
try - www.visioneerwindow.blogspot.com

jmfletch
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Robert - Thanks. That URL did not work but I followed the one in your signature line. Beautiful work and varied mediums.

Love "The Loner".

Joe

Vegas Art Guy
08-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I just kinda go for it. You end up with several layers of dots in many cases so the one misplaced dot is not really misplaced. One thing I did find that helped is having several sizes of pens so that I'm not using my .005 pen for large areas of shadow. I can use my bigger ones and get good results.

PVHooper
09-01-2007, 04:17 AM
thanks for visiting, to learn is why we are all here

eef
09-02-2007, 12:44 PM
H Joe, thanks for looking from me too. This is a wonderful place to learn. Since being a member of WC, I've learnt how to Crosshatch and I have now totally converted from Stippling! Just keep asking those questions, your bound to get the answers your looking for.

eef

jmfletch
09-02-2007, 02:06 PM
You guys are terrific!! Thank you.

On my latest pratice piece I am trying stippling the bricks instead of the hatching I had, which Ramger Dan said looked rushed. I should finish the practice this week and will post it in the other thread.

Again,Thanks for sharing!
Joe