PDA

View Full Version : Roses with a yellow lamp

billmahler
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Oil 18X18 on canvas.
This was painted several years ago.
Does it work?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2007/111636-yellowlampsmall.jpg

jeanvrb
08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Bill, the image is fuzzy. One of my images was that way and it was recommended that I focus it prior to uploading, because it loses some clarity in the uploading process.

The colors and subject work for me, but the tilted shade is a little distracting from the pretty flowers.

Jeanette

Intrigued
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
I am too much of a beginner to say if anything works or not but I do like the soft lamp light glow to it.
Vicki

billmahler
08-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Jean

I tend to paint fuzzy edges and this one is fuzzier than usual, because of the light I think. I'd love to blame the camera, but mea culpa. (That's altar boy latin for MY FAULT)

C_Line
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Wonderful lamp base - nice glow.

gaykir
08-30-2007, 09:18 PM
There is something very appealing about this one for me. Home late from a date and the roses tossed on the nightstand......the colors indicate that inner warmth of a lovely evening out with someone special. This is so charming.

billmahler
08-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Celeste
Thanks, the base was the star of the show. I added the roses for color. That was one of my last oils. I don't know if I could get that glow with acrylic.

Gayle
I sense a fellow romantic out there! I was trying to suggest a mood that would recall romantic stories... and yours is a good one.

Charlie's Mum
08-31-2007, 07:19 AM
It's all beautifully painted - love the lamp base and the roses - and the reflection of the roses in the base.
Like the light from the lamp - just find the whole shape of the lamp a little distracting.

Having said that, the painting does work .... there are almost bound to be areas which not everyone can relate to - personal feelings etc! - and perhaps, for me,the whole lamp is just too much. (But that's just MHO!)

I do like the colour/s throughout Bill.

Yes, I'm sure you could achieve this glow in acrylics! :D

valchina612
09-01-2007, 04:32 AM
I like this very much. It has such a romantic look and feel to it, which makes it so special. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

billmahler
09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Maureen - Yes the lamp overwhelms, but I couldn't resist painting it that way.

Val, thanks for seeing the romance in it.