PDA

View Full Version : quarter horse "Robert" in pastel

Lisa M
08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Well, here is the nearly-finished pastel, version 2 of Robert's portrait (for my aunt who owns him). She didn't want the old barn/trees in the bg of the photo, so I left it blank. Any thoughts on that?
I guess I'm happy with the results so far. . . . At least it's better than most of my work. It is my usual mostly-cheapo pastels on Wallis, 12x16 roughly.

All c&c welcome as always. I'd like to be able to add a tiny "star" of reflective light off the silver band, but got poor results with the pastels. I'm also not sure about filling in what is solid black in the ref (his chest/right side as we look). The image is a tad blurry--sorry.
Thanks for looking.:)
Lisa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2007/100809-wip_Robert_pastel_008.jpg

Ceci
08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Lisa, this is beautiful. I envy you so much to be able to live near horses. I want to paint them and have to look at pictures.
Ceci

FaeLynn
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
LOVELY!!! Keep up the fabulous work, I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you for sharing!

Ceiliog
08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Fantastic work - this is so well observed you seem to have a real affinity for the shapes and planes that make up a horse

Selahs art
08-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Stunning painting

Retha

beautifulbay
08-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Robert sure is beautiful, and so is your work! I think you captured him nicely! I really need to do one of my horse, you may have inspired me to finally get it started!! Great job!

mgwilson59
08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Ditto on all the comments!

Monte

jody007
08-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow thats beautiful! I love it!
Jody

Lisa M
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you all so much for the confidence boost. I really wanted to put together something that someone else would actually want on the wall. Robert is so awesome--I kind of want to do another of him, a profile.

Ceci, I remember your comment in my graphite post about your mom telling you to find a cowboy in the Midwest--that was great!! Believe it or not the "cool" kids when I was young all shunned the cowboys, of which there were very few despite where I live. One could be a farmer, but not a cowboy. What fools!! They're romanticized worldwide and for good reason.:cool: I was reading about the French/Spanish Gardians in a book I picked up just today. A fine bunch they are as well. :D

Okay back to the painting....I think I need to reduce the white in his lower lip, and then wait to see what the owner thinks.

Beautufulbay--I hope you'll paint your horse and post it for us to enjoy.

Thanks again to all for the kind reviews. It keeps me going.
--lis

roger41
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
This is really beautiful work Lisa:thumbsup:

Roger