PDA

View Full Version : camellia

vhere
08-29-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2007/53888-camellia.jpg

this was done last year when I was first experimenting with coloured pencils alone to finish a sketch - normally I'd use them over watercolour.

I'm not after the polished no-marks finish as I like the marks, the language of a drawing/painting. It isn't 'one of my best' I know but would be interested to hear comments.

At that point I only had a very small set of pencils that weren't artists quality (I've treated myself since and they are sooooo much better :) )

c&c welcome

Intrigued
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I like the color changes in the leaves and you have given your flower a certain delicate look even with pencil marks showing. Very nice.
Vicki

C_Line
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I love painting styles that incorporate "drawing" looks, adds energy I think. Do you think the center of the flower might benefit from some deeper values to increase its depth?

Katherine T
08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Vivien - My immediate reaction is that I can see the difference between artist quality and ordinary coloured pencils - even in your hands. Most people don't realise how big the difference is until they get their hands on a decent set of pencils - at which point the oohing and aaahing usually starts. Which you did as I recall! ;)

Plus I've seen the way you vary the weight of mark more now. The problem with cheaper pencils is that they don't give up pigment easily and one ends up pressing hard to get saturated colour as I think you've done here.

What sort of surface were you were doing this on?

Charlie's Mum
08-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Katherine says The problem with cheaper pencils is that they don't give up pigment easily and one ends up pressing hard to get saturated colour as I think you've done here.

Yes, I found his too when I first started CP work!
There is a vast diference.

I like this working drawing Vivien - that's how I see this, rather than a finished piece, so I'd leave it be.!

All the marks add character to the work.

Fozbot
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Vivien! i recognized your amazing vertical seascapes! now i know who you are.:)

pencil quality aside, you captured the form of the flower very well. my only crit would be the leaf on the left that passes behind the flower is too close in hue...tone? and makes it look like it's part of the flower rather than a leaf. putting down a cooler green would push it back where it belongs.

vhere
08-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Vivien - My immediate reaction is that I can see the difference between artist quality and ordinary coloured pencils - even in your hands. Most people don't realise how big the difference is until they get their hands on a decent set of pencils - at which point the oohing and aaahing usually starts. Which you did as I recall! ;)

Plus I've seen the way you vary the weight of mark more now. The problem with cheaper pencils is that they don't give up pigment easily and one ends up pressing hard to get saturated colour as I think you've done here.

What sort of surface were you were doing this on?

yes, the artists quality pencils are a different world and that's when I decided that YES they were something I'd come back to and enjoy :)

the weight of the mark is partly inexperience in this one and a lot the cheap pencils - I notice if I use them at college I can't do what I want with them :( as they are cheapies there.

It is in a sketchbook on cartridge paper and that's where it stays - it was a starting point but I wasn't really quite happy with it and you've summed up why very well for me :).

Fozbot, CLine and Charlies mum - good crits and good points - thanks :)