PDA

View Full Version : Lady Slippers

Intrigued
08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
This is a 6 X 6 inch using 300lb Fabriano Artistico HP & DS colors. I was considering putting in a dark green background or should I just leave it as is? C&C most welcome. Thanks for looking. I am really pleased that this new forum has been added.
Vicki

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2007/54987-Lady_Slippers.JPG

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
i LOVE lady slippers! you've done a wonderful job on these, Vicki. i like something as a bg but it's a matter of personal taste. i'm not sure a dark green bg would work on this, tho. can you try different colors with a photo editor?

Polygon
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Dark blue might, but I'm with Billie, try it in a photo editor first! Your Lady Slippers are beautiful!

SunsetSue
08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
This is absolutely beautiful as it is.

Artist_by_Accident
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
I think this is beautiful but I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what DS colors are! I know the paper & hate to sound like a real boob but you've aroused my curiosity!

I can't help you with a background - usually I'm the one asking for help! lol This is so pretty it may not need one.

ABA

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what DS colors are!

i'm guessing the letters stand for Daniel Smith. Daniel Smith watercolors are the most amazing watercolors i've ever worked with. a little pricey but worth the $$$.

Vicki, if i'm wrong...sorry.:(

painterbear
08-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Vicki,
Your ladyslippers are beautiful. I really like that dark tone on the underneath part of the petal in the middle.

Although they look beautiful as they are, a background always seems to "finish" a painting IMHO. Perhaps just a pale wash of blue around them????

Sylvia

Charlie's Mum
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Really beautiful work Vicki - and welcome to the forum!

I'd be tempted to leave it as is - it's rather nice!

But do try slightly darker washes in your paint prog and see if you like them!

Katherine T
08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Vicki - this is a really lovely painting - leave it alone!

I'll explain why. I go to the Royal Horticultural Society Flower Shows in London on a regular basis to see the botanical art being exhibited. Ditto the shows by the Society of Botanical Artists. A lot of the gold medal winning artists paint in watercolour on HP and leave the paper 'as is' once their specimen has been painted

If you're aiming to produce botanical art - or just trying for a botanical art feel to the piece (as I think you have achieved) - then it's perfectly OK to leave the paper alone.

Intrigued
08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Thank you everyone for looking and commenting.
Fozbot, I really don't know how to use my photo editor very well - another skill I need to work on. I really love your sprayed paintings and am hoping for a WIP or demo :)
Polygon, thanks - you are right dark blue would probably be better than dark green but I haven't really been able to think of a color that would look really great and after Katherine's comment I feel OK just leaving it white.
Sue, thank you so much.
ABA, This is not a silly question. Fozbot is correct. I love Daniel Smith colors and the majority of my paints are Daniel Smith. Thank you, I am glad you like the painting.
Sylvia, thank you for looking and commenting. It is new for me not to put in a background but......
Charlies Mum, thank you. I think I am going to like it here.
Katherine T, thank you for thinking that my painting can stand alone and if it is good enough for the Royal Horticultural Society group then it is good enough for me:)
Thanks again
Vicki

Lady Carol
08-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Lovely flower. I like this a lot.

What are DS colours?

kmb_art
08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Your flowers are beautiful and delicate. I would be afraid a background would detract from the flowers. I love them just the way they are.

painterbear
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Lovely flower. I like this a lot.

What are DS colours?

Daniel Smith makes absolutely gorgeous watercolor paints and a lot of colors that seem to be unique to them like Undersea Green, one of my favorites.

Sylvia

Margaret 59
08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
It looks great to me.

jeanvrb
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Vicki I feel OK just leaving it white.
I guess I'm a little confused. It appears to be a muted grayish green to me. However, my husband was fooling around with my monitor tonight, trying to darken it. He had eye surgery and doesn't like bright lights right now.

If it is a muted grayish green, it looks just great like that. It does have a botanical look to it, very very pretty. I vote for leaving as is.

Jeanette

gaykir
08-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I love these and they make me want to move to the mountains back home!

valchina612
08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Vicki, your Lady Slippers are absolutely stunning. I love your painting just as it is. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Intrigued
08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks Lady Carol - sorry I didn't reply before but could not get on the site for some reason. Hopefully you have already read that DS is Daniel Smith colors, sorry about the abbreviation.

Thanks for looking kmb art. I appreciate the support.

Thanks Sylvia - undersea green is one of my favorites also.

Thanks Margaret 59 for looking and commenting.

Jeanette - thanks for looking. The background is just white watercolor paper and it looks pretty white on my monitor. It is amazing how different colors can look on different monitors.

Gaykir - thanks. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing these "in the wild". These were at a garden festival at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens and I just thought they were the neatest flower.

Thank you Val for your comment.

Vicki

vhere
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
a lovely sensitive study and I agree - with botanical illustration work, no background - it would spoil it.

C_Line
08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd leave it just the way it is. Simply gorgeous!

Intrigued
08-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Thank you Vivian and Celeste. I appreciate your input.
Vicki

NothingButPencils
08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
I also vote for leaving it with the light background as is. Looks great!

Intrigued
08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Thank you Nothing But Pencils. It will remain white.
Vicki

debsn2paintn
08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Absolutely Beautiful, the colors and detail are perfect. I think I would leave it, or just add a real light color.

Intrigued
08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for your input & kind comments Deb. I am framing it just as it is.
Vicki

susieq632002
09-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Wow they look so delicate,love it just as it is.
Sue