PDA

View Full Version : Jack in the Pulpits~ sprayed watercolor

Fozbot
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
this was done using atomizer bottles and frisket film, Misket and cut paper masking on Arches 140# HP block. size is approx. 8 1/2" X 14". i usually use just the three primaries to create my color variations but this time i tried something different...Perylene maroon, sap green and DS greengold. i did add some UM violet and indigo to the maroon to cut that 'bloody' look. i was pleased to discover the Perylene maroon is a great mixer.

C&C welcome.:)

Polygon
08-27-2007, 08:13 PM
I like it!

Lady Carol
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I like it too. The background gradation is very good.

Katherine T
08-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Billie - I'd love to see you do a WIP of how you progress one of these spray with frisket paintings. Have you already done one on WC or your blog? And, if not what's stopping you? We need to know! :cat:

Are these acrylic inks?

Charlie's Mum
08-28-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd like to se a WIP too!
I can only imagine the patience and time required here to produce such a detailed and meticulous piece!
Lovely to see Billie!

Terry Wynn
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
This is lovely. Exquisite detail. I vote WIP, too! :wave:

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks everyone for looking and commenting! i did do a demo on my blog. check February in the archive. i painted a waterlily...my first attempt using this technique.

i tried out Holbein atomizers from Blick on this one. i wasn't happy with the coarse spray they produced. they created a mottled effect which was interesting but not what i was looking for. the best atomizers i've found here in the states are made by Mon Image and are available at Rite Aid drugstores and Kmart.

this technique isn't difficult at all. keeping the remaining frisket film clean between spray layers is the most tedious part.

painterbear
08-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Billie,
This is lovely. Your gradations of color in the background are beautiful.

Sounds like a most interesting technique with the misket and spray bottles.

Sylvia

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
thank you, Sylvia.:) this technique allows for flawless gradations in color which i love. what doesn't show in my screen image are the individual dots of color that are visible IRL. makes a neat looking painting, IMO.

painterbear
08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Billie,
When my son was a senior in high school, he took an art class in which he used a variety of mediums and techniques. He did a large painting using an air brush which looked a little like this in texture (not at all in subject matter though).

Guess your spray bottles are miniature versions of his air brush apparatus. :D

Sylvia

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
true to a point, Sylvia. the atomizers spray a coarser mist and don't give that perfectly flawless look of an airbrush but it's still effective.:)

Katherine T
08-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I had a look at your WIP. I'm very familiar with the notion of simplifying value shapes but think I'd still like an even more 'for dummies' version as I'm still not sure I understand all your stages of the ink and frisket and spray bit.

Fozbot
08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Katherine, there's not much more i can add other than to build your layers slowly. only spray approx. 5-8 light layers at a time. i used a blowdryer on the cool setting to speed the drying process along. keep the dryer from overheating the frisket film which will cause it to pull away or pucker. also you can dilute your paint to control the amount of color buildup. angle of spray and also the distance you spray from the surface of your paper will effectively help control build up. i'd highly recommend Mark Mehaffey's DVD demo Build Design and Color with a Mouth Atomizer from CCP: http://www.ccpvideos.com/page/CCP/CTGY/ARTMM
it's a great demo and it's where i got the idea of spraying watercolor.

Mehaffey uses a mouth atomizer but works in a much larger format than i do. i chose the spray bottles instead for more control on a smaller format. i only used a small amount of Bombay ink on the jack-in-the-pulpits to outline the edge of a leaf that was too close in value to the bg and added some violet ink at the base of the flowers. you are limited in the amount of detail you can achieve with this technique. the ink worked perfectly for these minor tweaks.

i've found out the big trick is knowing how far to take a value in one area keeping in mind that once the frisket is removed this same area will continue to receive overspray while you are working in other areas of your painting. i know...i'm making this all about as clear as mud.:rolleyes: buy the DVD...you won't regret it if you want to explore this technique.:thumbsup:

NothingButPencils
08-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh no! Now I have to get that DVD and try this. ;-) I can't resist anything new and different. Beautiful painting!
-RB

jeanvrb
08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Very interesting demo of your water lily on your blog. With the Jack in the Pulpits, you certainly achieved very good detail and beauty.

Jeanette

vhere
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
beautiful :)

those mouth atomisers are a killer! probably very good for slimming the face though if the aching after using one is anything to go by :D

Fozbot
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
thanks, RB. :) IMO the DVD is a must if you really want to try this. i watch it before i start a painting...everytime.

Jeanette, i'm starting to develop a steadier hand with that Exacto blade. it makes me slooow down and really concentrate on what i'm doing. i did go for more small detail on this one so i had to bring out the Misket. i'm trying to find out just how far i can push this technique and still make it look good.

Vhere, so funny!:D i have a mouth atomizer but haven't had the courage to try it yet. it takes a lot of lung power to get a fine mist and i'm sure there's paint flying everywhere. i just don't have the room here create a decent setup for that.

gaykir
08-29-2007, 07:42 PM
This wonderful. What an entertaining blossom!

Fozbot
08-29-2007, 10:56 PM
thank you, Gayle.:)

debsn2paintn
08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
The colors look awesome! Very pretty.

Fozbot
08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
thanks Deb!