PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage studies

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 06:33 AM
I've started to do some studies of vegetables in preparation for some more serious drawings.

Here's a couple of colour studies of cabbages. Both are in coloured pencil. I think I'm going to change the paper before starting the more formal drawing - and I'm definitely going to find a better tool for incising. I don't normally do this but it seemed a good way to go for the creamy white veins of the cabbage.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/48045-web_cabbage-study.2.jpg

and

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/48045-web_Cabbage-Patch-study.jpg

SunsetSue
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I have always thought that cabbages were beautiful. I like both of these. I look forward to your posting of the formal drawings.

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I like both, but #2 appeals to me very much! .... like a row of babies! Just mu humour probably :D

When you do those veins Katherine, do you incise first, over tracing or fine paper, and then lay the colour over?

ranunkel
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Lovely studies:clap:
I think the incising is working fine!
The first study is very interesting, love the perspective and colours.

C_Line
08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
These are terrific. I LOVE the incising. That's what appealed to me immediately. The comp on the second one is so nice.

surob
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
These are wonderful Katherine. I am certainly looking forward to seeing your more "serious" ones. These look pretty serious to me.

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Sue, Maureen, Marianne, Celeste and Susan

Maureen - you and me both - and the slugs hadn't got these babies!

The incising is done beforehand. The pencil then skates straight over the top leaving the white line. (Also great for cat's whiskers etc!) I think I want something that also offers a larger duller point as well. I keep trying different articles to 'impress' with.

Fozbot
08-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I think I want something that also offers a larger duller point as well. I keep trying different articles to 'impress' with.

Katherine, check out pen nibs for incising. you'll need the handle but you'll also have an unlimited variety of point sizes.

i also wanted to say i really like the row of red cabbages. the unusual comp and also your colors make this one really stand out.:)

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Billie - "Gillot" mapping pens and nibs - they have a pen holder and detachable nibs - so obvious when you think about it! Thank you!!!

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Also good for making 'lace'! :lol:

These look very sharp Katherine (the lines I mean!) and I wondered what you used.

Hadn't thought of dip pen nibs!
Did wonder about using old Rotring pens with their steel nibs?

Which paper will you use for the finals?

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure Maureen - I think I need to do a few experiments first. My absolute favourite for optical colour mixing (which is what a lot of my work is about - although you can't see it so clearly in the size of images on WC) is Arches HP.

I'm wondering though whether I need a slightly softer paper and I might try Saunders Waterford HP or a Fabriano.

So much of what CP work is about is about the choice of surface.

Polygon
08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Beautiful cabbages, esp. that close-up! I love veggie art.

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks polygon

I was greatly amused by your review of the Renoir Landscapes exhibition - I had exactly the same problem when I saw it in London!

ChuckL
08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I really like the cabbage studies, Katherine. Especially the long one!

....chuck

Katherine T
08-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks Chuck! :)

I'm currently trying to work out what sort of height to make the red cabbages. I rather fancy a very big row of cabbages!

jeanvrb
08-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Katherine T
I think I want something that also offers a larger duller point as well. I keep trying different articles to 'impress' with.

I wonder if some fine point hand engraving tools would work for the larger duller points.

Jeanette

vhere
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
I saw these on your blog and thought they were superb :)

Katherine T
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks Jeanette. Not being a printer I don't normally pay much attention to these - but I saw a very good range in Cornelissens recently and must go back and have a closer look and see if there is a tool which might work for me.

I should have explained that the main problem for me with any tools for incising is that extra bit of pressure which is required - so the problem is as much about what the intrument is like to hold as the sort of mark it makes. This is because I'm unable to grip much with my right (drawing) hand and totally unable to grip anything tightly (spasms! :(:crying:). I'm forever trying to find things which make it easier for me to hold things. Luckily I've got a 'thing' which can be put on pens to make the grip area bigger/thicker.

I guess there are probably a number of people who have the same problem. Although I don't have arthritis, my grip problem with my drawing hand is not unlike the sort of problem many people with arthritis have - and I'm very grateful for all the gadgets that are now around for other tasks.

Katherine T
08-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Steady on Vivien! :)

I'm still in two minds about whether people want to look at vegetables. I like the shapes and the colours (a bit like with the cacti and succulents) but I can well appreciate that some people may find them less attractive than flowers. It's also really difficult to find some veggies that haven't endured a raid by the slug commandos.

I saw some cabbages at Great Dixter yesterday and went over to have a look and they had been well and truly attacked.

vhere
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
:D

a lot of people like paintings in their kitchens and veggies are very suitable! but I'd hang them anywhere.

jeanvrb
08-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Katherine, I inadvertently typed "engraving tools", but really meant embossing tools. My daughter uses them a lot in scrapbooking, and there are several sizes from very small to large.

Jeanette

debsn2paintn
08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
These are both really beautiful. That first one really caught my eye though.

birdhs
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I am so glad I took the time to visit your website before I made a quick post. Your work is so refreshing and cheerful. I get the sense you really enjoy what you are doing. There is a village somewhere in upstate New York, the Finger Lakes region, probably near Geneva, NY, where they have fields full of cabbages. I seem to remember they make sauerkraut there, even have a festival every year. On at least one occasion, I passed through there and the vast fields of color, that particular cabbage blue-green, was a very special memory. I wish I had some reference photos of that place. thanks for posting as it is always a pleasure to see your work. It pleaseth thine eyes.

timelady
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Just passing by and admiring. :)
Katherine - I thought a drypoint needle might work for your incising too. You should be able to put your grippy things for pens around them too if you can get one with a wooden handle. (some are all metal and thinner all over, the handled ones are shaped like a fountain pen would be if that makes sense, a bit thicker than a normal pen)

Tina.

C_Line
08-31-2007, 11:09 PM
What about a knitting needle? Is that the same as a "drypoint needle"?

valchina612
09-01-2007, 03:40 AM
I like to use embossing tools too.

Val. :wave:

gaykir
09-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Love that first one!

Katherine T
09-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions

Greg - your field sounds delightful. There is something very special about that blue colour - I don't think I've ever seen it in a paint or pigment.

I've had some more suggestions for tools outside WC. One of these - a darning needle (ie blunt end so it doesn't cut paper) inserted into a clutch pencil sounds very promising.

ranunkel
09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2007/18189-kaa1l.JPG I just remembered that I took a photo on Samsoe of a cabbaged field.