PDA

View Full Version : A digital landscape idea

digitalis
08-27-2007, 03:34 AM
Hi All - I don't get to show a lot of digital stuff but here is an idea I was working on - I used Photoshop and Artrage. I don't know if I am happy with it yet but would love any feedback you may have

Thanks
David
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/99784-sunlit-bank.jpg

Nazareth434
08-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Definately worth pursuing further- emphasis on the water as that will be the costar to the other actor- the bank and trees (especially the sunlight). The lighter blue you have in the water is almost just right- not sure wgich way to adjust it would be best, whether Hue, Value or tone. I love hte sunlight, and to me, your shadow colors and sunlight colors are just right- I wouldn't mess with them too much- they're very convincing just like htey are. The brighter spots of green work wonderfully, and I wouldn't mess with the gold colors behind it on the branches in the light- the spots of bright green are just enough purer Hue to give it that painterly look, and incresing hte brightness or hue of hte golds behind it would be too much fight for dominence I think.

Dave- to me, this painting seems very near done- it's got a nice Guache look to it, and hte more subdued colors are offset by the few bright Hues you've got htere- nice contrast. Your shadows have enough interest to keep the eye exploring.

LavenderFrost
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I can't decide which is more impressive, the painting or Nazareth's review. :lol:

But seriously, I like it. Nice contrasts. Am I imagining a canoe full of people in there?

Nazareth434
08-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Lol Lavender- go with the painting- much morei mpressive lol

jhercilia
08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
I like the painting.
Since there is sun on that are of the grass, I would expect some sun on the water too on that area.

digitalis
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Nazareth - that was a wonderful review - much appreciated! I will certainly revisit the water, and probably do another pass over the whole image - I feel like I need to unify the larger masses a bit more and some of the highlights feel a little disconnected to anything - I shall persist!

Hi LavenderFrost - Imagine no more! I will now reveal the truth (my ref photo)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/99784-sunlit-creekbank.jpg

Hi Janet - There is actually a thin band of light sneaking across from the left - it's not really obvious but it may be because the sun is striking the water from an angle, but striking the bank almost full on. I will have another look at the painting and see if it can stand a little more light

Thanks
David

jhercilia
08-27-2007, 07:56 PM
I see. Although the sun is not hitting the water directy, you can see lots of reflections from the rocks on the water.

wrangler
08-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Dramatic lighting cond.However my fafo(u)rite Australian tree is Eucaliptus,I also like the Outbacks in Queensland,and Waga Waga!.as well as the Meck (now owned by Renault,and Assemled in Australia 's Iveco assy. plant) 'Road trains',Long ago I used to drive one.I had to get accustomed to Right Hand Driving,Try some nice images from 'Uluru' (formerely Ayres red rock).

digitalis
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Quite right Janet! I could do more with the reflections - thanks

Hi wrangler - we have good strong lighting in this part of the world. Gee - driving a road train would have been an adventure - some of those rigs can be huge - thankfully there aren't many corners to negotiate out west.

wenkat
08-28-2007, 07:50 AM
It is nice no doubt! I love to see how you progressed from ArtRage to PS. If you haven't done much of manip, I'm sure the orginal image itself could be a sure masterpiece!

digitalis
08-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi wenkat - As I recall, I started in p/shop and sketched it all out then went into artrage to apply some nice smudgey paint strokes - then I went back to p/shop to fine tune with the paintbrush and eyedropper- and after reading janet's post I have tweaked it a bit more...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2007/99784-bank2.jpg

wrangler
08-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Quite right Janet! I could do more with the reflections - thanks

Hi wrangler - we have good strong lighting in this part of the world. Gee - driving a road train would have been an adventure - some of those rigs can be huge - thankfully there aren't many corners to negotiate out west.Im my time there it was one semi Trailer + 2 Trailers,and the tractive unit (tractor truck/lorry) was 'Mack' super Thermodyne.

LavenderFrost
08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok, the canoe full of people is just an illusion. Must be my habit of seeing images in random patterns.

omniartz
08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Great image. Perhaps needs some work but, I like it. You are doing good with the ArtRage PS combination. I am not a landscape painter so no suggestions, sorry. :)

justjean
08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
It looks great, :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

digitalis
08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
justjean - thanks

omniarts -hi! you wouldn't happen to be a guitar player by any chance?

wrangler - You wouldn't want too many flat tyres with that size rig!

Lavenderfrost - When I took this photo, there had been many people in canoes thrashing around just an hour or so earlier!

wenkat
08-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Hi Digitalis,
Nice to know that your PS-ArrRage combination works beautifully for you! Mostly people come to PS as a last resort - from Dogwaffle, rtRage or Painter. In your case it is in reverse order; LOL. I have only free version of ArtRage, so it is bit cumbersome for me to that. But I love both ArtRage and Dogwaffle for colors especially than PS per se. Anyhow, congrats again. Keep it up!

Wenkat

digitalis
08-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi wenkat - I only have the freebie artrage so far as well. I must admit I have never heard of dogwaffle - I must go and have a look at that...

Fenraven
08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
I hope to do half as well, not that I've bought ArtRage. I'm excited about turning some of my photos into paintings. Your work flow sounds good. I will have to try it. (Photoshop to ArtRage to Photoshop)