PDA

View Full Version : Paypal, Billpoint, E Wallet...On-line payments

paintergirl
05-24-2002, 02:00 PM
There are so many forms of on-line payment I am boggled over what to use. Hot Wallet, Billpoint, Paypal ... Is it better to have several types, or is there one method that seems to be preferred?
Do some charge a better fee then others or? I have actually seen auctions where it is stated they don't accept paypal, so it has raised some questions for me...

I have seen e-checks mentioned also, could anybody provide a little info on those, or maybe a link?

I want to make payment as smooth as possible. Have advertised I would accept personal cheques also but that they must clear first before shipping the item. Somebody mentioned that that option is too risky and tedious and I should only consider on-line payments.

Too many questions, sorry!
:confused:

CarlyHardy
05-24-2002, 04:58 PM
PayPal, Ebay Payments and BidPay are the top ones at ebay. You can find out more about them by reading their FAQ's on the websites.

I do take checks and only ship after they clear...but I don't say that in the auction description. I make arrangements with the buyer with the initial email for payment options. They will tell me if they need to pay with a check. Some folks just think that's the most secure method!

I'd begin with Ebay Payments and PayPal....then if you have a customer who will only pay with another method...sign up for it when you need it.
carly

Sumafra
05-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Hi Julia,

In my experience, Paypal is the most commonly accepted form of payment. With Ebay, Billpoint is also used quite a bit. I have both. I have not found it necessary to have others. Occasionally, someone will choose to send me a money order, and once I accepted a personal cheque but I waited to ship for a few days. The problem for us Canadians is that an american cheque could take a really long time to clear through all the channels and if you want to be protected, you'd really have to wait about 3 weeks before shipping. In my opinion, you'd be better off to insist on a cashiers' cheque or draft or money order if you have a buyer who doesn't want to pay by Paypal or Billpoint. I really don't think you need any more than those 2.

tammy
05-26-2002, 01:29 AM
I was told and had read that folks bid on your auctions more when you have one of these (easy) ways to pay for the auction yet I found it didn't help my auctions that much and even though I now take Paypal most folks still send me Money orders more than anything instead of using Paypal.

arlene
05-26-2002, 02:26 AM
i have found most pay with either billpoint or paypal...but i don't have much to go on yet
lol

paintergirl
05-26-2002, 11:16 AM
I sold one large one last year and the 3 mini's using a friend's paypal. Another large piece last year, I recieved an international money-order. I will probably set up at least 2 on-line methods to be safe and accept money-orders. I am not to sure on the cheques as all my customers so far were from the US and I would think the cheques would take too long to clear like Suz mentioned.

A whole lot of trial and error isn't it?

tammy
05-26-2002, 11:17 AM
I really wish they'd all pay with Paypal etc. Its so fast! :)

waynebrekke
05-31-2002, 01:15 AM
ok. im new to the selling on ebay and still getting info on how to set it up. got most digested, now i have questions on the billing. i am set up with pay pal for buying, but not selling... i have only had one transaction with paypal. how exactly do i get this set up for buyers on ebay and how does the logo get there.

also, how does the billpoint work? mind you i am brand new and green as all get out when selling online at ebay.

i have yet to go through the entire set up for selling as i am still unfamilliar with it. but i know you all have the answers!

should i have a reserve?

is there a thread that talks about all this? I took the tutorial but it didnt answer all questions.

thanks for any help. feel free to email or pm me. but it wouldnt hurt for others to get the info too.

-wayne

waynebrekke
05-31-2002, 01:31 AM
ok, i got the paypal thing worked out i think. at least the logo part. and the transaction thing. helps to read the FAQ.
as a man i deferr that we are weak at reading the instrucitons and asking for directions...:D

timelady
05-31-2002, 04:53 AM
For Paypal remember to keep your limit in mind too, if you have a personal account. If you do have that type of account you cannot take credit card payments and also have a monthly limit of money you can accept. Best advice is to stick with the personal account as long as it works and only upgrade if you get a notice saying you're over the limit. :) At that point you have to upgrade anyway to get the funds. (upgrading means you pay a transaction fee)

I don't know a lot about Billpoint because they make it quite difficult for us international sellers. I have BillpointUK but can only use it if I list on eBay UK, which I don't do often. Listing in US$ gets far better sales. So I can't accept Billpoint. :( PayPal does still seem to be the most popular. The other benefit is that you can use PayPal for any type of sale - offline, online, from your personal site or eBay. (they have a tutorial for adding a shopping cart to your own site). Billpoing is strictly eBay transactions only.

Tina.