PDA

View Full Version : Double Delight Rose 24X24 Acylic

debsn2paintn
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been working on this on and off for a couple weeks. This is my 2nd rose painting and my first white flower. And I will tell ya, I have learned a lot, and have played in the mud more then I wanted too :eek: . I think I'm about finished with it. Would like to know if you see anything that bothers you. I see something that bothers me, but I'm wondering if it bothers anyone else.

The background is a dark green, with touches of blue. I know it looks black in the photo.

24X24 Acrylic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/60422-photos_148sm.jpg

Lady Carol
08-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Deb, what a lovely painting. What does bother me is the brown on those 3 petals center left. They seem to lay funny and I would think that they should be highlighted a little more than they are. I like the yellows in the middle of the flower it adds a lovely glow to it.

debsn2paintn
08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Carol, that is exactly what is bothering me! I have changed it so many times. I think I need to take it back to a light yellow and add colors that are in the center of the rose. The reference shows this area a different color, but it just doesn't work in a painting. Thanks so much :)

lilbelle
08-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Deb, the colours in this are fabulous! I'm wondering if you could change those three brownish petals and make them into one. It just seems like there are too many in that area.
This is a gorgeous rose!

Lady Carol
08-26-2007, 08:27 PM
It just seemed as though those petals did not belong to the rest of the flower. I think incorporating the yellows and whites in the rest of the flower would help with those petals.

jeanvrb
08-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I had replied to your post in DA, so will paste it here in Florals/Botanicals.

Deb, it is a very beautiful painting. The only thing I see that could be changed, and it is what is bothering you - the section left of center, as mentioned in your post. I think the reason it is bothering you is that it detracts from the beautiful cream and red colors of the rose. If you just tone down that shading and get it closer to the cream color, maybe a tone between the dark shading you have and the yellowish color a little northeast of the center of the rose. Then while it is still wet, pounce each of the edges of those 3 petals to soften them so they do not draw your eye away from the center of the rose and the beautiful red edges.

You have already toned it down from your earlier version, just needs a little more. I think you are correct in using that shadow color, as it gives variety of shading colors. Getting that variety is not easy. It's one of the many things I also have trouble with.

Jeanette

debsn2paintn
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Lillian, Jeanette and Carol. I have tried to tone them down and add colors to match the rest, but I'm just getting mud. So, I'm going to take it back to a light yellow (in just that area) and do the same thing that I did in the middle.

I hope to work on it tonight, and maybe finish it. Though I'm busy my kids will both be in High School starting tomorrow :)

Thanks again for all the help :)

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 03:00 AM
A couple of observations:

I wouldn't worry about matching the colour to a reference photo as most cameras/photographers are not too wonderful at reproducing colour accurately. And that's not being mean - that's just the way it is.
At this stage I think I would be trying to work out what would work best for the overall aesthetics of the picture as opposed to trying to reproduce a photo. Maybe try putting your photo away?If you get a chance take a good look at another rose like this and make colour notes - then describe and write down the colours you see. I find that really trying to find names for the colours makes me (1) look more carefully and (2) get a better match with the colour that actually exists.

Have you ever tried painting something just from colour notes? It's a really good exercise.

debsn2paintn
08-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Katherine- Thanks so much for the info. This is my photo and my rose so I do have an idea of what colors they are...but I have been working from memory and the photo. I have never thought to take notes on the color... I will have to try that. You are such a wealth of information.

You are right-
I have been painting by what I see, and I have realized with this piece that what you see doesn't always look so good as a painting. Actually I have not been looking at the photo lately, just trying different things. I knew I didn't like that part, so just trying different things to see what looks the best. I'm not afraid to go back in a try something different.

So, I put some butter yellow on that section last night, and I'm going to try it again. :)

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Deb, mud is not a problem in acrylics! they're so forgiving - it's not the first time I've re-gessoed an area to get the colour right!

Katherine's advice is good - making colour notes is wise!
I also use notes to remind myself where I want to boost a tone - or take it back - or saturate a colour more etc .... some of us need these reminders! :lol:

I've also found it helps (working from photos) to play around with the saturation levels, the contours and various other delights in a paint programme - seems to help me 'digest' the forms etc!

Back to those 3 petals - I think what bothered me more than the colour is the repetition of the shape - almost exactly ..... it's alien to the rest of your beautiful rose! (.. even though in reality it may be so!)

Still a lovely painting though! :D

tstimpson
08-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Deb this is stunning work! Enough has been said I guess about the 'three petals' - I will be interested to see what finally transpires. Must say Lilian's suggestion regarding making it one petal was my first reaction also, and would satisfy Maureen's point regarding repetition. Hope you are going to post the modification.

Terry

debsn2paintn
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much Maureen and Terry :) Very much appreciated. I'm just getting ready to dive back into it. I think you are all right about the petals, I think I will make them 2 petals.

Thanks again :)

PERUGINA
08-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Deb I think your rose is just gorgeous... as for the three brown petals... I would say darker petals are natural...and you have the same colour on the right... not as much... but it is there... I love it as it is...as it is natural... you don't want a flawless rose... but one that has nature as part of it... and nature isn't always perfect!

You have done a great job... for me... what a shame if you have altered it...

Don't let it bother you... let it's natural beauty be...

valchina612
08-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Deb, the Double Delight is one of my very favourite Roses, and you've made a great job of this. I am looking so forward to see what you do with the petals on our left. You really have made a great job of it. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

gaykir
08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Hmmm. Very nice indeed!

C_Line
08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
You've got some good advice here. I agree about simplifying the shapes to left of center into maybe one petal and subduing their color to be more a part of the harmonious whole.

Masterful draftsmanship shown here and such depth. Ooo, the rose, my nemesis flower, only your second? WOW! Well done.

debsn2paintn
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Perugina- Thanks for you opinion :) I had already painted over it.

Thanks Val and Gayle

Celeste- Thanks for the help. I have been so busy I have not even had a chance to touch it, but I did paint over that area, and have been trying to decide how I want the petals (fewer petals) to be. I hope to get a chance to work on it tonight. I would love to get this one finished :) Yeah this is my 2nd...but might be my last :D JK

debsn2paintn
09-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I think I'm finished with this, unless someone sees something. I will leave it for a few days and make sure everything is done.

Thanks everyone for your help! :grouphug:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2007/60422-photos_527sm.jpg

Laura D
09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Oh dear, a glaring error... It's not signed, matted or framed! You did a wonderful save on this Deb. It is an absolutely gorgeous painting of a fantastic rose.

debsn2paintn
09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
LOL Laura... you had me for a second :D Thanks :)

Lady Carol
09-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Deb, terrific improvements. You have made this work wonderfully. Um! One comment :D the next petal further towards the center from the ones you worked on looks a little too white. Seems not to tie in. Any way just my thought. What do you think?

jeanvrb
09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Those changes made a huge difference Deb. Now it is really outstanding. Now the cup of the center is the darkest and it doesn't have to compete. The changes in shape of the petals really adds to the beautiful look of the rose. This is what I like about WC. So many fresh ideas from so many artists. :clap:

Jeanette

ranunkel
09-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I can see you work hard on this and it payed of:clap: :clap: :clap:

Katherine T
09-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Well done Deb :clap::clap::clap: - you've made it all come together.

gaykir
09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Deb -
The changes make this a stand out!!

Laura D
09-03-2007, 01:53 PM
:lol: :p :lol: :heart:

debsn2paintn
09-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a hard time leaving things along :D So, I did more on this today. Thanks Carol after you pointed that out, it just jumped out at me so I did add more yellow to that area!

It's signed and I'm calling it done. Thanks again for the help everyone! :)

Thanks Carol, Jeanette, Marianne, Katherine, and Gayle.

Laura :D

Here it is.... and I'm including a photo of the wall in my house where I will put it. Problem is.... I need to paint another white flower to go next to this one :eek: :lol: I going to have this custom framed this week and hope to enter it in a local fair in a few weeks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/60422-photos_532sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/60422-photos_540sm.jpg

Laura D
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I just shot some white rose photos...

debsn2paintn
09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
LOL... I'm NOT painting another rose :D I'm thinking maybe a tulip? Gosh something easier :D

Terry Wynn
09-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh, this is wonderful, Deb. It will look stunning framed. I think a tulip would be beautiful with this. One horizontal format and one vertical!

Terry

valchina612
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Wow Deb, a superb finish. I just love the way you altered the petals on our left, and it definitely is a very, very gorgeous Double Delight. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Fozbot
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Deb, sorry i haven't commented on this sooner! i'm not a big fan of roses but seeing this against that chocolatey brown wall...well, i'm stunned! i certainly hope you'll post another pic when it's framed and hung.:)

debsn2paintn
09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Billie- Sure I can do that, it might be a little while though :) My Mom's name is Billie too. I'm so glad you liked this on this color wall, I sure did :)

Thanks so much Val and Terry :)

lilbelle
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Deb, the changes you made are perfect!! I love it!

debsn2paintn
09-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks Lillian.

Well I decided that my next painting, that will go next to this one will be a Parrot Tulip. Someone from Flickr is letting me us their photo for the painting.

If you want to check it out.

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/474879655/

I think this will look good with the rose. I will have to crop it to a square, but I think it will work. :)

Fozbot
09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
i'm certainly looking forward to this next one! there's so much 'action' going on with those petals.

debsn2paintn
09-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks Billie, it does scare me a little. :D

I'm going to change the colors some too, to match more of the rose.

paintfool
09-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Beautiful!

pancho
09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Absolutely a STUNNER!

debsn2paintn
09-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks Cheryl and Art :)

Lady Carol
09-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Fabulous finish Deb. It looks awesome where you have it.

beautifulbay
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
How pretty....double delight is my favorite rose! Nice job!

debsn2paintn
09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Natalie :)

Carol, I'm not sure yet, but I think I might put my new painting that I'm working on (Parrot Tulips) on that wall instead :D I'm so bad about making decisions :) But the tulips painting is 24x36 so I think it would fit better there.

C_Line
09-12-2007, 08:03 AM
This has to be one of the most beautiful rose paintings I've ever seen. It just pops on your wall.

Polygon
09-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Gorgeous! And it's so nice to see the place it's going to hang, it's going to look wonderful!

debsn2paintn
09-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks so much Polygon :)

Wow, Celeste...thanks so much... you made my day!

Actually I have had a really good day. I picked it up from the frame shop, and took it by 2 of my Grandmas and they both loved it. One of my Grandma's hugged me and started crying...saying I don't know how you paint something so pretty. Yeah it really made me feel good. :)

Here it is framed, now the frame is a black plum...though it looks black in the photo.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/debsn2paintin/IMG_2979sm.jpg

ranunkel
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Lovely frame for your rose!

Fozbot
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Gorgeous, Deb!!

amaze_1101
09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Awesome work Deb. The changes you made to the inside left petals are perfect and is a mark of your talent. The centre of the bloom really draws the viewer in and is quite stunning.

Fabulous stuff!

debsn2paintn
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks Marianne and Billie :)

Elaine- I'm so glad that you like it, that really means a lot to me :) Thanks so much :)

Sandy1
09-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Stunning! I just love you work.

rmc
09-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Wow Debs- this is simply glorious - delighted I came visiting over here today to see this!!!!

debsn2paintn
09-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Ruth :wave: Gosh it's nice to see you :) Thanks so much, I'm so glad you stopped in.

Sandy- Thanks, that's really nice :) I love your work too.

knippes
09-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow Deb,
Your rose is absolutely beautiful!! It was quite fun watching your changes from the beginning of the post on down. I really like the way the yellows blend into the red. Great job.:thumbsup::clap: Good luck with it at the fair. I'd give you a prize...:angel:
--Kym

SunsetSue
09-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Deb, this is gorgeous. Well done.

debsn2paintn
10-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks Kym and Sue.

Well the fair started today, and I won a FIRST PLACE RIBBON! I have never entered anything before so I was just so happy. I also won another first place ribbon on a portrait photograph. So it was a very good day.

The judge did leave a comment, and it was all really good, but they said to use blue in the shadows rather then gray. Well under those yellow horrible lights the blue areas do look gray. I will have to keep the lighting in mind if I do it again next year.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/debsn2paintin/photos432mjpgpb.jpg

PERUGINA
10-07-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm so happy for you Deb... and I'm glad I re visited your thread on this... now that I saw the changes to "those three petals" I have to agree... it had an uplifting effect on the whole tone of your rose... Just lovely...

Well done and Congrats again sweetie! :wave:

Will look forward to seeing your next adventure into nature!