PDA

View Full Version : peachy rose

susieq632002
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi this is a watercolor rose 12"x 9" previously posted as wip in studio,this is my first floral painting C&C Welcome and much appreciated.
Thanks
Sue
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/92586-rose_finishedwc.jpg

Charlie's Mum
08-26-2007, 05:08 PM
There's some lovely work in this Sue - how big is it?

I think it might benefit from a darker bk'gd - but there's such nice wet-in-wet work there, it would be a shame to spoil it!

Welcome to the forum! :D

Lady Carol
08-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Sue :wave: this is a very pretty flower and the peach colour is lovely. I have to agree that it would benefit from a darker background to make it pop forward.

jeanvrb
08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Very pretty Sue. I also agree with the others about the background. If you don't want to darken all of it, you might consider darkening the area from mid right down and then across the bottom. You could continue up just a little on the left, but not as high as the right. That would contrast nicely with the leaf on right. By darkening part of the background, it will add contrast, but will not take over.

If this is your first floral, you should definitely continue. Flower paintings are my favorites.

Jeanette

C_Line
08-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Very nice. Welcome to the forum!

SunsetSue
08-27-2007, 12:37 PM
This is quite lovely, Sue. I agree with just deepening part of the background to give it more 'pop'. Well done. Definitely keep going if this is your first floral.

tstimpson
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Sue, this is your first floral painting?? All I can say is WOW !!!.

I have made a modification in PSP just to let you see what has been said regarding making the bloom 'pop' by darkening the bg:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2007/83451-92586-rose_finishedwc_mod.jpg

Terry

valchina612
08-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi Sue,

This is a beautiful painting -- I love the way you have painted the Rose, and the colours are so pretty. Do you know the name of the Rose? The darker background would really make it pop more, but it is lovely as is. I hope you will paint more flowers. :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

vhere
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
very pretty and good advice above :)

Katherine T
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Sue - well done on your very first floral painting - very impressive.

I've got a couple of comments about presentation - except they're more by way of queries:

I wonder how it might look with a neutral mat. I think I might notice the lovely peach colour of the rose more and possibly might feel differently about the existing colour of the background.
I'm also wondering how much more painting you've got under your mat as the crop is very close to the edges of the rose making it look a little crowded. Were you using an existing mat or a standard size? If showing the whole flower (rather than cropping into the flower) it's often a good idea to give the subject a little more room to breathe and show off inNow - that's just my perspective. I guess other people will see it differently again. And at the end of the day it is of course always the artist's choice as to how they present their work so feel free to ignore my comment

PS I've just realised that you're not that far away!

Fozbot
08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Looks good to me! i agree about the bg advice. Terry's digi tweaks make your rose really jump off the paper. i gotta ask...what's your paint recipe for peach?

susieq632002
09-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments:D you are all so encouraging. Thanks for the illustration Terry:D it really dose make the rose pop although i will say the background dose look washed out on screen it is much darker in the original.
Katherine i do agree about the Matt it is just one i had and there is more greenery just hidden.
Katherine you are only a few miles form me 30+ depending on which side of London you are:) .
I am going to post in the studio an Iris a Friend has asked me to paint if you get a chance to look any C&C would be greatly received :D .
Thanks again
Sue