PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Next Year X-posted colored pencil

surob
08-26-2007, 01:34 PM
This is a WIP. It has been posted in CP forum for a while. Thought I would post it here to see if anyone over here may have some suggestions. I am concerned about the open flowers not popping against the light blue paper. The reference photo is one that I took and is in the library. C & C welcome. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/100874-Bradfordpear.jpg

Polygon
08-26-2007, 02:43 PM
This is gorgeous! I see what you mean about the delicate flowers getting lost against the pale blue, do you think you'll darken the background to make them stand out?

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 02:47 AM
What options have you considered and what's your preference?

surob
08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
The reason I used the blue paper was because I really hate doing backgrounds. I think at this point all I can really do is darken the background behind the lighter areas. Thanks for the suggestion Polygon.

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Beautiful work on the branch - and on the flowers/buds - so it's a pity to lose it because of the bk/gd!

Can't see any way round strengthening the b/g!
Would you consider adding another medium?

ranunkel
08-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Lovely CP drawing!
I don't think there is an easy way out, you will have to darken the BG.

surob
08-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you all for taking a look. I think that it really sounds like I am going to have to darken the background. I work slow. Real life really gets in the way of art. Sad but true. I will post an update as soon as I have something worth posting.

Maureen, I really had thought about using another medium, but I'm kind of a purist (or chicken).

Katherine T
08-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Susan - I've made many a mistake with choosing the wrong colour paper for a work - and it's just one of those things - and it is the way we learn! ;)

Another way of looking at this is to put this one down to experience - and do no more.

Or you could proceed to do a background but might want to put the piece officially into a 'test' category for a bit. I think a number of people putting in a background when wasn't planned find it both unnerving as well as potentially tedious - and there's often a lot of feeling your way while you resolve issues.

I think in future you might want to try doing a sample on a paper before commiting yourself.

One way of speeding it up without cheating would be to use watercolour pencils + water or ordinary artists' coloured pencils + solvent.

However you now have two big questions to answer if you were to darken the background - namely

what colour?
how dark in value terms?

gaykir
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
oh my! Can't wait to see more!

jeanvrb
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
It has great potential, just needs something to display the beauty of those blossoms. Would pastel pencils work for you as another medium? At least it has the same last name as colored pencil for the purist. :lol:

Very good detail on this.

Jeanette

surob
10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Before I call it done. Is there anything anyone thinks could be improved? Real life has really gotten in the way for the last couple of months. I have not even had very much time to "lurk". I am glad that I could actually finish it this year. Thanks for looking.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2007/100874-IMG_0262_2.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2007/100874-IMG_0264_2.JPG

ranunkel
10-14-2007, 01:58 PM
It's beautiful, hope you will get time for one more this year :lol:
I like the blue paper you used as back ground it gives the drawing a dreamy feel to it.

surob
10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Thank you so much for looking Marianne. I think I will have time for one more this year. I started one a while back of sea glass. I was using different paper and pencils so the technique and results were so different that I had to stop and just work on one.

debsn2paintn
10-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Very beautiful, looks so real!

surob
10-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I made a few changes from suggestions in the CP forum and am calling it done. Thanks everyone for your kind comments.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2007/100874-IMG_0379.JPG

madmum
10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Beautiful work, love the texture on the bark and the delicate flowers. You must be incredibly patient to spend so long on one piece!

Ruth