PDA

View Full Version : White Flower Constellation - Latest Scanography Pic

BitsOfNature
08-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Here's my latest scanography piece, just finished up editing. For those of you not familiar with the technique it is accomplished by placing flowers and leaves on a flatbed scanner in a darkened room. The resultant scan is then digitally edited just to remove any pollen/dust marks and to go around the flowers to make the background 100% black. (Sounds easy, but this pic took me about 14-15 hours.)

This one was a bit serendipetous (sp?). I had tried several other arrangements and just wasn't happy with the results at all and was just about to give up when I tried this one last shot. I kinda like the way the curves complement each other.

Anyway, enjoy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2007/102085-White_Arrangement_-_72bpi_24bc_WebPic.jpg

Regards,
Dale

jeanvrb
08-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Dale, very pretty scan. About a year ago I had tried scanning some live flowers and had posted them in one of the forums. What I found interesting was that the flowers look so much more dimentional than regular photos, even though they are placed on their faces in my method. I had not thought about doing them in a darkened room. I had a scanner that allowed me to lift the lid and place props under it so it did not mash the flowers. Even so, the back ground did appear black. Will try your method.

Good job.

Jeanette

BitsOfNature
08-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Jeanette,

Thanks for the comments! My scanner allows me to take the lid totally off and set it aside which makes things much simpler for sure.

As an alternative to doing the scans at night I also set up a card table over the scaner and drape it with black fabric. That works pretty good, and for morning flowers that won't keep until nighttime for scanning it's the only choice. Still, that just makes the background dark -- it is the digital editing to go around all of the edges to paint it truly black that makes it jump out. Time-consuming, but worth it.

The almost 3D effect the scanner produces is also one of the things I like best about this technique. When printed large (due to the high res these can be blown up 4-5 times original size) they really become dramatic.

Thanks again for the comments!

Regards,
Dale

jeanvrb
08-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Good idea about the black drape. I've also read about some artists rigging up some kind of hanging apparatus to avoid placing the objects flat on the glass.

Jeanette

valchina612
08-26-2007, 05:55 AM
This is very impressive Dale. Would look stunning hanging on the wall. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Charlie's Mum
08-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Dale!

This is really interesting - haven't seen anything done this well with this kid of method .. lol, I've scanned my hand before now!

It's good to read how you do this - and the patience needed with the bk/gd leaves me awe-struck! :lol:

Terry Wynn
08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi, Dale, this is lovely. I checked out your website and you have so many beautiful pieces of artwork there.

Terry

debsn2paintn
08-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Dale, I have seen some of your work in the Photography Forum, and I'm so glad you are posting here. I always enjoy seeing your art, it's just so beautiful, and interesting.

Artist_by_Accident
08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Beautiful & very unusual! I know the amount of time it takes to remove backgrounds & you've done a beautiful job with this!

ABA

BitsOfNature
08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks all for your feedback -- definitely appreciated!

There are so many flowers this time of year it may not be safe to drive on the same road as me -- I'm too busy looking for scanning ideas!

Dale

Katherine T
08-27-2007, 02:50 AM
What sort of material drape do you use?

Somebody told me that very good quality black velvet worked best as a drape. Something about the density of the weave and the way it drapes.

Charlie's Mum
08-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Took a little look at your website Dale - beautiful work - and thanks for introducing me to it! :D

ranunkel
08-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing!
This is amazing:)

tstimpson
08-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Dale this is beautiful work! I had never heard of this type of art before. I love your work on your website also.

Terry

BitsOfNature
08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
What sort of material drape do you use?

Somebody told me that very good quality black velvet worked best as a drape. Something about the density of the weave and the way it drapes.

I'm not sure what the fabric is I use. When I went into the fabric store I just had two requirements: (1) black and (2) cheap. It's not very thick at all but is sufficient to block the light. I'd have to shine a light direct into it to affect the scan much. What I like about it is that it drapes nicely so I don't have to fuss with it much getting it over the table.

Velvet might scare me a bit if it "sheds" -- I don't want any more dust than I already fight with flower pollen!

Regards,
Dale

Fozbot
08-27-2007, 06:40 PM
i've never heard of this before. stunning results and well worth all your hard work!

Laura D
09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Wow Dale, this is impressive work! Your website is wonderful, a simple "classical" presentation and very easy to navigate.