PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Coast

Tedra64
05-24-2002, 11:18 AM
This is an acrylic on watercolor paper I did from a photo I took when on vacation in Hawaii. This is my first attempt at painting from a photo. Let me know what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2002/DCP_0008.JPG

:)

amanda
05-25-2002, 01:37 AM
I was wondering if this is finished or not. To me I would think that a touch of green vegetation would help finish it off. Also, the water could become darker the further out it goes. Just a though but I do like the bright colours here, lovely.

mel-o
05-25-2002, 02:27 PM
I like the way you have handled the coastline. The brushwork and color combinations really work for me. Sorta looks like chocolate syrup. Hmmm...I think I just made myself hungry.

mel

orchidlover6
05-25-2002, 02:39 PM
uhmmm i have to agree with amanda. this looks like it's not quite there yet..... nice start though...

Tedra64
05-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Orchidlover6, Amanda & Mel-o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still pretty new and any ideas and suggestions are really appreciated. I'll make some adjustments and then repost when I finish. Again, Thanks
:)

little dreamer
05-26-2002, 03:51 AM
~ the way you made the sky - clouds near and clouds far, they look real good~

sophia
05-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Great start to what looks like will be a great painting... keep up the good work...I bet you took lots of great pictures that will make great paintings...Sophia:clap:

Matttscott
05-26-2002, 03:05 PM
Tedra, I really like this.

I'd like to see some more color in this. Seawater is rarely this blue, and clouds are rarely this white. The ocean could use more of a greenish tint (which would help to tie it to the green of the vegetation on the land). The clouds could use a bit more texture. I'd also like to see a light source. A light source would bring it all together, reflecting off of the clouds, the waves, and the land.

Altogether, you have a very nice setting and painting here. Keep it up!

--Matt :cool:

KarenU
05-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Great start...love the colors. Can't wait to see the changes!

Tedra64
06-01-2002, 08:28 PM
Here is a new version trying to take into account some of the suggestions. Tried to put some more gradation in the color of the water and add some greenery to the hillside. Also worked on the clouds to make not so white. Ended up painting a whole new versions as couldn't figure out how to lighten the water and clouds on the original. Let me know what you think of this version. Hope the photo uploads all right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2002/DCP_0020.JPG

:confused:

Matttscott
06-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Could we possibly get a larger image? This one is really hard to make out.

--Matt :cool:

terrygar
06-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Great start. lots of things are possible to chnage this and with acrylics you can do many changes!

LDianeJohnson
06-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Tedra64

Great start. Don't be afraid to take those clouds up to and behind the hillside. The overlap will create more depth in your painting.

It would be greatly helpful if you could also post the photograph you painted from. Since you using a photo, viewing the original source would assist us in offering more concrete solutions.

I can suggest that you soften the bottom of the hill as it reaches up against the water. It is currently very hard-edged which gives a cut-out appearance.

All the Best,
Diane

Tedra64
06-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try to relocate the picture I was using and see if I can get it to upload well. I'm also working on trying to get a larger upload of the painting. I really appreciate all the help as this is only my second landscape.

Artistry, I know this sounds like a silly question, but as i said, i'm a really new painter, how do i go about softening the edge?Unfortunately, I've never taken any art classes and i'm kind of flying blind here.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys.

LDianeJohnson
06-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Tedra64,

Not a silly question at all...

Try a couple of exercises on another piece of watercolor paper before attempting on your actual painting.

First, recreate the large shapes of the water and hill again with solid colors on this new piece of paper. Once completely dry, mix a color that combines the water and the hill color as one. With lots of water on your brush, pick-up some of the new color and lightly graze over the edge between the water/hill to diffuse the two colors visually.

Second, try is to do the above, but first re-wet the hill and water areas with water then run your brush with color between the edges. If you apply too much paint, dry your brush and quickly pick-up some of the paint by absorbing up into the brush.

Third thing to try is to start with a fresh piece of paper. Before applying any acrylic paint, dampen the surface of the whole paper. Into the dampened paper apply the hill color, then wait a short time and before the paper completely dries, apply the blue color of the water allowing some of the blue to run into the brown hill color, thereby diffusing the edge. Later, when the paint completely dries, you can come back in places with a heavier application of paint to bring back the edge between the two areas if it is too fuzzy. Play with this technique back and forth until you have matched the look of the photo.

The fourth way will take some practice and maneuvering, but you can apply opaque paint of both the water and the hill in alternating small patches to breakup the hard edge.

Acrylic handles differently when using absorbent watercolor paper, or less-absorbant surfaces such as primed canvas or boards. Test your painting strokes on different surfaces to discover how each reacts to the paint and what you can do with a wet, loaded brush of paint vs. a dryer brush of paint.

Hope this helps:)

Have fun painting, you're doing just fine. You did a good job of blocking-in the major shapes of the sky, hill and water. Now you can experiment with developing your painting even further!

Diane

Tedra64
06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Artistry,

Thanks so much. I can't wait to try these ideas out.

I can't get over how helpful everyone here is. It's been a blessing to find this site.

Again, thanks artistry and everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

Tedra64
06-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Mattscott,

Here is the larger image you requested. I haven't had a chance yet to make the adjustments artistry suggested, but I thought i'd upload the larger image as joemaury was kind enough to help me out with the process.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2002/tedjm.jpg