PDA

View Full Version : Scratch board?

pinups
08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Ok Leigh I blame it all on you...well mostly that is...lol. I went down to the art store today and special ordered some scratch board. Unfortunately it will take about 1.5 weeks to arrive. I went looking for the scratch board channel as many people have said they cross posted in there but I don't see a tab for it. Am I missing something? I was also curious about preferences for tools as I have seen people use fibre brushes, needles, xacto knives etc. I assume pretty much anything goes for tools as long as it fits the bill then? Any info would be appreciated as I have a bit of time waiting for my chance to post something in this medium. Now I just have to find a good photo.....

winecountry
08-23-2007, 03:10 PM
go to the scratchbd forum and find Diana Lee, then go to her website for tutorials...you can use lots of things but the scratchbd tip that goes in a holder does it all 2 tips one to do big areas another for fine lines.
It's fun to do and ready made for fur.
Colleen

Crias
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
The scratchboard forum is inside the mixed media/alternate mediums forum and there is a link to scratchbaord art in there. I have a kind of brief tutorial in my web site too.

You will find a variety of tools can be used. I personally prefer to use an exacto with #11 blade, as you can make very fine lines with it. For larger pieces you can use a couple of speedball brand tips (#12 and 13) that make larger scratches. I, personally, do not like the tool kit made for scratchbaord, but thats just me. A lot of teh medium is still trial and error and seeing what fits your style!

PatrickHedges
08-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Great stuff Les. As to tools, I haven't really invested much in them yet, just a few craft sets from a cheapie shop, the kind where you can change the blades for different sizes. I think they are a cheap equivalent of the x-acto blades. They work for me and at $1.99 for six blades and a handle, they off-set the price we have to pay for the board :lol:

Garbonzo
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Les, just a warning, scratchboard can be a little addictive. It's a medium that doesn't require much as far as tools. It doesn't make much of a mess and it can be done about anywhere. I'm glad you are going to try it, be patient and have fun with it.

pinups
08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok thanks for the information guys and gals. I am looking forward to trying this and hope that maybe it might be something to introduce to the group of artists that I belong to also. Now I just have to wait until my order shows up.