PDA

View Full Version : High Desert Secret

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Size 9" x 12"
Oil on Cavas

While we're on the subject of cacti here is another one of mine. It's not as showy as 'Saguaro', but there was something that appealed to me about the scene. I think my background foliage could have showned a little more color highlights. I probably could have pushed the foreground color a bit more also. This scene is just a short hike from my home.
Comments are always welcome.
Kathy
:thumbsup: Also I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying this forum and seeing all the beautiful Southwest work you all are doing.

Barbara Art
08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I love it, Kathy! It's unusual to see these cool colors in this subject matter, so it has an extra attraction. I don't think it needs a thing. Well, maybe a frame!
Barbara

Enchanted
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
At first look I found this to look very complete too, but then my eye picked up on what appears to be another section of cactus to the lower right in the rocks of the foreground? If those are supposed to be additional "paddles" of prickly pear, then it might be a good counterpoint to the larger mass of "paddles" if those too were the same color - or at least green.

:thumbsup:

MKathleen
08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Barbara, thank you, and yes it is unusual because I pushed the colors. As for the prickly pear same thing--they do turn this blue-green color certain times of the year. Also, we get two spring bloomings one of course in the spring and one in the late summer. Allergy's high both times. LOL
Kathy

MKathleen
08-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Enchanted, yeah you found it--forgot to mentioned that part I over looked (need to locate the photo. I think I will go back in and change that and post and update. The change would help define that area and lead the eye up toward the large prickly.
Thanks for your suggestion.

sassybird
08-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Kathleen, this is beautiful. I have seen so many scenes like this in Texas where the prickly pears grow everywhere, and the fauna grows right up to it. I have seen Bluebonnets growing at the base of these cacti.

MKathleen
08-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi sassy, thank you
I was born in Texas and lived there during part of my early childhood. I never got a chance to see the prickly's as we lived in Collin County, TX. Farming, cotton, cattle, pecans were the views of the day. We did have Bluebonnets though, but I was to young to really appreciate their beauty. Must get back there one of these days.....
Kathy

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Kathy this is a beautiful scene. I like it the way it is but will come back for another look after you update.

MKathleen
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi Sue, thank you for your nice compliment. I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

Diane Cutter
08-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I really like the dreamy quality to this painting. I find it very relaxing to look at this... You have a lovely way of applying oils to canvas, Kathleen...

Diane

MKathleen
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Diane, thank you I really appreciate your compliment. I still haven't got back to improve on that rock/cacti area. I'll post and update when I do...
I had a wonderful teacher and friend who taught me about color and it's application.
Thank you again,
Kathy