PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Giant

MKathleen
08-21-2007, 06:51 PM
:wave: Hi All, thought I'd join the gang and show one of my southwest paintings. The original painting I did was given away, so I decided to do another one for myself. It's title is Arizona Giant and is 16" x 20" and is painted in oil. These lovely giants do not grow at the 5100 elevation where I live or I'd have one in my backyard. When I go down the mountain toward Phoenix they start to appear at about the 3,000 ft. level.
Kathy

Playm
08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Boy howdy, Kathy, that's NICE! I can almost feel the late afternoon sun on my face! All of the colors are fabulous.

Barbara Art
08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Kathy, that is beautiful! It's amazing how fussy these saguaros are; in many places you can see the exact line where they stop advancing. I have yet to paint one myself, though I've taken a bunch of photos of them. Your painting inspires me to get going!
Barbara

Diane Cutter
08-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Beautiful sky and beautiful sunlight on the saguaro... I can see the motivation for painting it again!!!

Diane

Enchanted
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Kathy, I like you're use of color and the looseness of your style in your landscape works. :clap:

Looking at your web site, I was amused at finding your "Tropical Treasure" (http://krobbinsaz.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tropicaltreasure.jpg) acrylic piece and how much it evokes a similar theme of mine on my web site "Magnolia Bud." (http://www.zianet.com/jaxart/gallery/magnolia.jpg)

Also I'm wondering if you're at all related to Christina Robbins (her married name) who is a long-time exhibiting artist who lives in El Paso?

:wave:

theemeraldskull
08-22-2007, 11:43 AM
That is so cool! I live in Arizona too, so I really have an appreciation for any paintings of it!!! You really captured the mood here. I love it! :clap:

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi playm, thank you it's always rewarding when the viewer can see your vision too.
Kathy

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Barbara, thank you, the saguaro's are my favorite cacti in Arizona. The needles on one can be several inches long and somehow the Catus Rein can manuver around them and nest. I hope that when you paint one you'll share it with us.
Kathy

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi Diane, and thank you--Yeah after giving it away to a family member I really missed it. I really enjoyed painting it again, I won't give this one away.
Kathy

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Enchanted, thank you, I love color and the challenge of putting it into what ever I paint.
Kathy

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi the emeraldskull, thank you, great to hear you live in Arizona too. I've only been here for four years. Prior to moving to Arizona I lived in Northern California what a difference in landscape. My hubby and I love Arizona!
Kathy

sassybird
08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
There is nothing that I don't like about this piece. It is startling beautiful and it shows that is a labor of love. Your sky is especially well painted.

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you, sassy. I really appreciate your comment and take it to heart.
Kathy

FaeLynn
08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Kathy,
I love this piece! These cacti remind me of old sages, full of wisdom and mystery. I heard on a documentary once that they don't even get their first "arms" until they are 75 years old!!
I love your colors, very striking and yet the mood is serene to me.
So glad to have seen this!

MKathleen
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi, and thank you so much! I think these saguaro's are very sculptural in appearance. Here is a little blurp about their growth...

"The Saguaro grows very slowly -- perhaps an inch a year -- but to a great height, 15 to 50 feet. The largest plants, with more than 5 arms, are estimated to be 200 years old. An average old Saguaro would have 5 arms and be about 30 feet tall".

So let's see--the saguaro I painted from a photo I took would be approx. approaching 200 years old and I'm only counting the 5 largest arms (there may have been one or more in the back). I must return to that spot and see if it's still there and how many arms it has now.
Here in Arizona the saguaro are a favorite for gun target practice. Which is against the law and has a pretty stiff fine as I understand it. As the Saguaro is our state plant and it's blossum our state flower.
Kathy
I enjoyed viewing your images at the bottom of your post. I need to go find some of your paintings to get a larger view.

MKathleen
08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi Kathy, I like you're use of color and the looseness of your style in your landscape works. :clap:

Looking at your web site, I was amused at finding your "Tropical Treasure" (http://krobbinsaz.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tropicaltreasure.jpg) acrylic piece and how much it evokes a similar theme of mine on my web site "Magnolia Bud." (http://www.zianet.com/jaxart/gallery/magnolia.jpg)

Also I'm wondering if you're at all related to Christina Robbins (her married name) who is a long-time exhibiting artist who lives in El Paso?

:wave:

:) Hi, I didn't answer all of your post to me. Yes, it is interesting we both did evoke a similar theme. I loved painting 'Tropical Treasurer' it was from a photograph my mother-in-law took in Hawaii several years ago. I think my favorite part of the painting are the leaves.
No, I'm not related to Christina Robbins--Robbins is my married name. I am from Texas, but moved to California with my mother at a tender age. Now living in Arizona for 4 years and just love it.
Sorry, I overlooked your other comments.
Kathy

DesertDarlene
08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
This is gorgeous. I love the way you have portrayed the light on this one.

MKathleen
08-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Desert, thank you, this was one of those paintings that just came together with little effort. It's such a good feeling when that happens.
Kathy

Enchanted
08-26-2007, 11:04 AM
:) Hi, I didn't answer all of your post to me.
Kathy

Thanks for going to the trouble to backtrack Kathy. We all become used to people not replying fully when text messaging, so it's doubly nice when someone bothers to do so.

:thumbsup:

MKathleen
08-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for going to the trouble to backtrack Kathy. We all become used to people not replying fully when text messaging, so it's doubly nice when someone bothers to do so.

:thumbsup:

:) You welcome.
Kathy

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Kathy you have done a great job on this. I love southwest art but do not paint it as I have never even been in the SouthWest. You deserve a pat on the back for this, it is beautiful.

MKathleen
08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Sue, thank you so much, I love the southwest too and hope some day you will have the opportunity to visit. Here where I live Prescott Valley, AZ. we have high desert 5100 elevation and the four seasons--even two spring bloomings of wild flowers and cacti!
Kathy