PDA

View Full Version : Old-fashioned flowers

lilbelle
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
These were painted from photos I took at the historical pioneer town of Fort Steele, B.C. last week when I was on holidays.
Both are acrylic on canvas,
8x10in.
Hollyhocks
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2007/103642-DSC01801.jpg
Coneflower
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2007/103642-DSC01802.jpg
C&C's always welcome,
Thanks for looking.

Charlie's Mum
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
These are very pretty Lilian.
You've organised that coneflower centre extremely well! I'd have got impatient!:lol: I like the blending from sky to grass in #2.

Love the hollyhocks - think you've captured their characteristics/structure very well, and those grasses against the wall are delightful!

jeanvrb
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Lillian, both are very well done. Aside from the beauty of the flowers, I especially like the way you did the window.

Jeanette

lilbelle
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Thank you Maureen! I have to admit I spent more time figuring the cone out than I did painting the petals!
Jeanette, thank you! I think the window helps give it some interest.
Thanks again!

debsn2paintn
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Both of these are gorgeous, very well done! :thumbsup:

Laura D
08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
I love these! I would like to see them larger too. I think that coneflower would be great even at 16 x 20!

valchina612
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Lillian, I've totally fallen in love with both of these. The Hollyhocks with their delicate colours are gorgeous, and I definitely like the way you've put the building behind them -- they really compliment each other so well.
The Coneflower is beautiful -- I love the way you've done the centre, but the petals are terrific too. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

SunsetSue
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Lillian these are absolutely lovely. I just love those hollyhocks. The coneflower is amazing.

lilbelle
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you Deb!
Laura, thank you! I've been painting more smaller ones lately, mainly because of a shortage on wall space. This way I can still paint the pictures I want, and if there is one that I praticularily like I can paint it again larger.
Val, it was so interesting to see all these old english garden flowers in this setting. Thank you!
Sue, thank you for the kind comments!

Laura D
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Lillian, I know what you mean about wall space. I keep the mat and frame and change out the paintings! They are about to go on a rotation-basis though, I really like to ones I take out.

midcoast
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Nice hollyhocks and the background really gives it a historical feel. Nice addition of the bee to the coneflower :) That too is a nice painting - frame 'em and sell 'em :) That will help your wall space problem ;)

Nancy

kmb_art
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Lovely paintings! I especially like the one with the hollyhocks.

lilbelle
08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Laura, I do the same thing!! I keep telling my husband I need a larger house with more walls. The overflow are ending up on his garage walls, mind you they are mainly paintings of his cars.

Nancy, thank you! I've been thinking of that lately. Not sure how to get started selling them though. Sounds good as long as it doesn't take the fun out of painting them!

Thank you kmb art!

tstimpson
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Lillian these are stunning! I just love the way the light falls on the blooms in the first one, which are set off by the dark colour of the building.

Terry

Laura D
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm just starting to get my work out on the market. So far there's no real concrete structure to the plan. That's fine for me as long as something is getting done at any given point. Here's what is currently on my plate if it will help:

Getting everything in frames opened, cleaned and shot without glass....
then everything back in the frames with the glass,
re-sealed with paper and tape and back on the walls...
then slides made from the digitals.... then small jpegs for the website...
a subscription to art list so I get notices of shows and such...
put the slides together to send out to galleries...
contact info for local galleries... submission guidelines...
coporate offices ideas - do you want to hang the work on a rotating basis...
Getting reference shots of local stuff to paint for that one co-op gallery...
Talk, talk, talk about my artwork, not just the dogs, family, kids, etc. (It works!)

We do have resources here at WC for help with marketing in The Art Business Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=77).

lilbelle
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Terry, thank you! I was playing catch-up, after being away and saw your pink roses. Great job!!

Ohh Laura, I'm exhausted just from reading about everything that is involved in promoting your art! Thank you for all the info about it. I appreciate it.

Laura D
08-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Sure thing Lillian. Let me know if you get any other ideas!