PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Market

Nazareth434
08-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Quick question- Is there a market for digiart other than trying to market to publications? With physical paintings, we can take and hang them in any shop or gallery, but with digi art, how would you make a physical painting out of a digi one? Is it possible? I like messing with digi art, but to me, it seems it's kind of senseless in a sense other than being enjoyable or than marketting to publications because it can't be put to physical material other than papers, and at that, they definately look computer generated and lack in personal qualities it seems- but hten again, I know nothign about htis- so maybe I'm way off here

wrangler
08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Don't give up just yet (or now),it's like being almost lost in the steppe (prairie),or 'up the creek' or the proverbial 'tree',There're some hopes that need to be explored,digital art,it's valid,and question of acceptance is depending on the individual dealt with.The 'struggle' for 'legitimacy' of digital art,it's about to be won pretty soon,the 3D or rendered 3D it's extremely successful,and profitable,while 2D it's slowly but surely gaining respect and acceptance.It's like architectural design,a matter of taste,should you manage to create something,that someone like,or desire,you'll have a sale,so no need to lose confidence in this stage.However,the 3D and animation 3D fields of digital art,and visual design already won.

Nazareth434
08-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Yeah, 3d definately is a complete market for htose hwo can do that- I was just really owndering if folks can market their own 2d digiarts without having to go through publications, and if so, how they go about getting the art from the computer to media? I agree it, 2d, is definately ligit, but I'm not sure others who purchase art would concider it so? I know some Crafters do decopage (sp?) where they take pictures already produced by others and glue them onto stuff liek old wood, and folks do seem to buy that stuff at craft shows, but I'm wondering about the market for photo-manipulation art and how to go about getting if from computer to physical media and saleable?

As you can see from my other thread here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440265 some pretty nice photo-manipulations can be done, and I really enjoy doing them, but I'm not sure htere would be much market for them?

chewypaints
08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Have you looked into Giclee Prints? Some Digital Artists even add paint ontop of the Giclee prints.

Text below quoted from About Giclee Prints (http://www.gicleeprint.net/abtGclee.shtm) Website.

"The Definition : Giclee (zhee-klay) - The French word "giclée" is a feminine noun that means a spray or a spurt of liquid. The word may have been derived from the French verb "gicler" meaning "to squirt".

The Term : The term "giclee print" connotes an elevation in printmaking technology. Images are generated from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various substrates including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper. The giclee printing process provides better color accuracy than other means of reproduction."

Of course the giclee prints can be printed from digital art totally created on the computer - as opposed to scans mentioned in above para.

Some successful digital artists here: link to Digital Artists at Digital Atelier (http://www.digitalatelier.com/artist.html)

You might want to add some of your own personal style and photography to make your digital art unique, and not rely heavily on filter effects.

Nazareth434
08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Chewy- yes, I've just discovered the printing deal- thank you very muich for htosel inks- the 'paintings' I do aren't filters, but physical alterations to the photos using brushes and pallet knife and added colors etc.

I see that on ImageKind, I can have prints made up starting at $8.00 or so for small 8x8 prints without frames, then the price starts climbing depending on whether you want them printed on canvas or framed etc. Bigger prints around 11x11 on up start to lcimb in price pretty steep- but that would be up to the buyer to decide what they wanted I guess.

ImageKind looks like a pretty good deal, and I'll check out your link as well. ImageKind has free hosting of galleries and they take care of all the money transactions and shipping and framing etc. I also have a website that I could promote the paintings on- but the only problem was that it was a news site, and I can't really change how google views it, but still- I've got some steady readers even htough I pretty much stopped posting about a couple months ago lol- oh well- got some work to do I guess lol. Thanks agian for replying and the link- will check it out today.

Jin
08-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Digital art can be printed on canvas (or other materials) and some artists embelish the canvas with paint or gel media to give the finished art a more textural look.

It's certainly possible to sell digital art prints and many artists do just that.

A lot of photographers are now using their photos to create paintings which are then printed on canvas and sold to their clients... for good prices.

The quality of digital art prints begins with the artist understanding how to paint so the final print doesn't look "digital" and doesn't look like a photo.

Artists doing this (working from their photos) vary widely in their degree of talent and experience but the more talented and experienced ones produce some very impressive work.

Here are a few links to examples of what I believe most would consider pretty darned good work, starting with our own...

Joel Cooper (JCoop), Portrait Artist - Gallery (http://www.ipaintpeople.com/gallery.html)

Then....

Helen Yancy, Photographer and Artist - Galleries (http://www.helenyancystudio.com/galleries.php)

Linda Levy, Artist - Gestures Gallery (http://www.lindalevy.com/digital_gallery_7.htm)

Mike Murach Galleries (http://www.murgallery.com/)

Mike Reed, Childrens' Book Illustrator (http://www.mikereedillustration.com/)

Those are only a small handful of many professional artists who use Corel Painter to create their art and there are so many more. You can see a number of them on the Corel Painter website, the Painter Masters' bios and portfolios at:

Painter Masters' Profiles (http://apps.corel.com/painterx/us/gallery_profiles.html)

Painter Masters' Gallery (http://apps.corel.com/painterx/us/gallery_artwork.html)

Jin

Nazareth434
08-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Jin thank you for replying- some neat links there- maybe I'll give it a whirl, see what happens- the ImageKind site is free to host galleries, so we'll see what happens I guess- can at least try it I guess- might just order a print myself to see how they come out. I know that a regular home printer kinda kills the paint looking effect, but hopefully the Gislee printing will be much better looking, but I guess even tradition prints from actual paintings have the print look to them somewhat- will be interesting getting a print on canvas and be able to add brushstrokes and such- Perhaps using flatter color and paints in the digitals will be better translated in prints than the thick impasto-type that I like lol. this is so cool- can't beleive I'm just now learnign about it-

Thanks to all who responded.

Elainepsq
08-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Personally, I print from my own, good quality inkjet printer. Depending on the paper, and the particular piece of digital art, I get some pretty good prints. I sometimes use Canson mi-tientes paper, which is acid free and has the texture of an art paper.
I've been in a few outdoor art shows where I sell prints of my work for a lot less than I would a painting. People are more likely to buy prints because they are so much more affordable, and I'd rather sell them than hear complements followed by "I wish I could afford to buy art" all day. I find the average person doesn't care if it's a print or how many other copies are out there. they just buy something that is affordable and that they like.
Some artists may have a problem with that, but I'm just happy that people are appreciating my work.

LavenderFrost
08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Elaine, do you have any difficulty in making good prints. I have a hard time with my printer, but maybe it would be different with a better one? I was drooling over a Canon that prints up to 13x19". The only thing I print myself are greeting cards where I don't worry much about a difference in colour. I have ordered giclee prints which turned out quite nice, though I always start with one or two to see how they turn out before ordering more. Printing is so fussy, even the kind of paper matters. But I think printing my own would be more cost effective in the long run.

Nazareth434
08-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Elaine- thanks for replying. The thing I worry about is life expectancy on the inks from regular printers though Giclee printing uses archival quality inks that are reported ot have an expectancy of 75 years (although that is probably under ideal conditions). Thay alos use coatings which help to further cut down on UV rays that might degrade the inks.- Now, having said that htough, We've had home printer photos for over 10 years now, and I can't discern any degredation yet, and liek oyu say, peopel are much more apt to buy cheaper prints and just hang onto them no matter what happens ie: if they fade a bit. I am making up some greeting cards and will be selling htem in local shops as variety packs (If I can ever figure out how ot get my cantankerous printer to stop complaining about "No paper" when I'm tryign to print on small 4x6 photo paper/greeting card stock lol.)

I just want ot mention though that I know htrough ImageKind, you can order 8x10's without having ot pay a mark-up that you'd charge customers for (with the archival inks I mentioned, but the coating would be extra I think) for around $9.00 which is really cheap in my opinion (not sure what shipping and handling would be, and although not as cheap as home printer, it's stil pretty cheap), and keep on the lookout for cheap frames at yardsales and such, and still be able ot sell cheap and make a profit for say $20-25 or so. Also, the small prints on canvas are only like $45 before the markup from ImageKind which is still a pretty good bargain, and could display htem in local art galleries/stores too. Gosh I sound like a sales rep for ImageKind lol- There's probably a less expensive print service out htere- but this is hte only one I'm really aware of except for RedBubble.com- haven't compared hte prices yet.

LavenderFrost
08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Hmm, that's a good point about the inks. I had a home printed photo sitting in a frame for 6 years and it has faded a bit. Would the type of paper make a difference?

Nazareth434
08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure about that- might be just the inks- perhaps the paper might help preserve longer- but again, not sure on that- good quesiton though

jhercilia
08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Always use the recommended paper for a particular printer for maximun longetivity. I have an Epson 2200 and it prints excellent quality work.

Elainepsq
08-27-2007, 11:45 PM
My inkjet printer is an HP business inkjet, and in a document I have, HP claims that their color prints, using HP Premium Plus photo paper will last at least 73 years without fading. B&W prints will last even longer. On HP's site, where they sell their photo paper, it says it will resist fading up to 115 years. I looked up info on the photo paper and it doesn't say whether it is acid free or 100% rag.
I can't be sure about the acid free Canson paper I like to use, but just as in non digital art work, when the paper yellows with age, it affects the colors, so I feel relatively safe using an acid free paper. The canson paper has a texture like watercolor, or drawing paper, which I like for my work which has a "natural materials" feel to it.

Nazareth434
08-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Well that is certainly long enough especially given the fact that we're selling hte prints for so low a price. Even at that, the prints will be handed off to the great grandchildren being just slightly faded in 115 years- certainly good enough I'd say.