PDA

View Full Version : White Iris

SunsetSue
08-20-2007, 04:48 PM
This is an oil painting I did several years ago. I was not pleased with the background but when I hung it on the wall and found how it changed as the light shone on it, it became a favorite. In the evenings, the white lily pops off the canvas. I do not show this one in public because it would be too difficult to light properly and in daylight it shows all it's warts and wrinkles!!:lol: Please let me know what you think as I would like to do another with a better background. This is 24 X 24 oil on canvas.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2007/10094-White_Iris_500_copy.jpg

kmb_art
08-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I love it. I especially like the background you used. It goes very well with the white iris. Irises are one of my favorite flowers to paint. I am working on some now.

bayoudragon
08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
It's gorgeous! Don't change it, the background is absolutely rich! I especially like the black "outline" around the iris... really makes it pop! :)

You could even take some dark green and edge around the tops of the petals where they overlap the leaves. Just a thought... :D

Charlie's Mum
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Sue, I like the petals very much - lovely form and colour.
I think the stems are less good though! They just need more roundness to show the form at the base of the petals - how they swell. ... and I think the leaves would benefit from a little more attention too - but I really like the way the flower fairly leaps out to the viewer! :D

Lady Carol
08-20-2007, 06:16 PM
The next round for this lovely flower would be to enhance the yellow. The yellow in these Siberian iris are actually quite bright and I think it is lacking in colour there. My only comment for the future version. :D

debsn2paintn
08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Very very pretty Sue! I love all the delicate little ripples in the petals, well done.

valchina612
08-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Sue, I just love all of the gorgeous folds in your Iris. So well done. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

lilbelle
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I really like the subtle blue tones on the petals. Very nice!

jeanvrb
08-21-2007, 08:54 PM
I agree with Carol about deepening the yellow just a bit, but a very beautiful painting regardless. I like the muted shapes in the background. For a little more interest, you could maybe darken a bit of the background in the lower section, fading out to the lighter area above. But still very attractive just like it is.

Jeanette

Laura D
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
This is lovely. I see what you mean about the background. I think what may be bothering you is that both the hue and the value of the background is very close to the foliage. I agree about the yellow, at least get some variations in those areas of the blossom.

I would also rethink the green of the stems. It is too cool in the foreground so doesn't look natural. Warm it up with maybe raw sienna? I'd love to see what you do with your next one!

gurleygirl
08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
This is great Sue! I love the ripples in the petals!
Tracey

C_Line
08-24-2007, 10:31 PM
The crispness and deeply shadowed edges make this sing! Very lovely Sue.

Garry1953
08-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Sue:

Very Nice, the petals look paper thin.
Simply magic.

P.S. Itís nice to know, it really does have a magical property of being able to change colour in different lighting conditions. :thumbsup:

SunsetSue
08-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks so much everyone. My painting has evolved so much since I did this one so I think the next time around could not help but to be better. It was kind of accidental that this works as well as it does. This hangs in my living room on a cream colored wall above my dark green sofa. I have never gotten tired of looking at it since I painted it in 2001.
I really appreciate all the wonderful comments and suggestions and I will be sure to use them when I redo this.

Yorkshireartist
08-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Having tried to paint white flowers myself I know how difficult that is. You have captured the shade and lines very well, yet managed to keep the flower 'white'. The thing that lets your painting down is the foliage. You need to emphasise the lights and darks and then I think it will be a superb painting.

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the comment Marie, I see what you mean and will do my best to make it better.