PDA

View Full Version : Greenie's Weekly Aug 19 - 25th

Lady Carol
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome yet again for those who are just starting to find us. A new week to make new friends and to get to know other floral people.

tessp
08-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Hello,

Thought I'd introduce myself here. I love doing floral photography and have contributed a number of photos to the RIL. (The pink azaleas in C_Line's signature look familiar!)

I'm glad to see this new forum and may post here from time to time. I haven't been very productive lately, but like to use my photos as references for work in watercolor, gouache, pastel, and various other media.

I'll be having a look around!

Tess

Charlie's Mum
08-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Welcome Tess - look forward to having you here!

Hi Carol - and anyone else looking in :wave:

Want some rain? ... and cold wind? .. I'll parcel it up and send - we should share these things! :lol: Jeepers, we've got the heating turned up - and they call this summer!

Lady Carol
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
We have rain here today too Maureen. I am going riding so it will mean an indoor ride. I haven't ridden indoors since the spring. But at least it will be cooler as riding in the humidity here is rather unpleasant and Twice tends to sweat like a pig not to mention me.

Lady Carol
08-19-2007, 01:25 PM
For those who don't know me, this is what I am talking about. This is my horse Twice the Magic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2007/11811-IMG_8474-01-small.jpg

lilbelle
08-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Tess, Maureen and Carol. We are also getting rain here today, though it's been so dry we need it to help with the forest fires. A great day to go through my holiday pictures from last week and maybe start a new painting.
That is a great looking horse Carol! Have a great week everyone!

Charlie's Mum
08-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Twice is magic Carol!
Hi Lilian - I wonder if the global rain is all the crying because of the global crashes in the Stock Markets? :lol:

One of my college friends is coming to visit tomorrow - it'll be nice to natter!
We've been friends since 1958 - growing old disgracefully :lol:
She won't stay because of her little dog (and because she's always gallivantin' around the world!) - so comes by train and goes back the same day - I'm looking forward to seeing her.:D

Lady Carol
08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Twice is magic Carol!

That he is, Maureen. :thumbsup:

Yah! for rain. I know I won't have to water my planters on the deck for a couple of days.

Maureen, at least you can visit with buddies from college and she is only a train trip away. Hmm!!! mine are two flights away equating to a 24 hr trip to see them. Needless to say, I do not see my friends that often and only when we visit rellies in Australia.

ranunkel
08-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I found an very interesting botanic artist. Her name is Marilyn Bass.
Her flowers are done as a collage, in cut paper enhanced with colored pencil.
http://www.botanicalartists.com/MarilynBass/index.htm

I got my new scanner to day now I just have to plug it in, so I can upload my drawings.

No rain in Silkeborg /Denmark to day :)

Charlie's Mum
08-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks Marianne - noted :D :thumbsup:

If you come across any more could you add them to the New Suggestion Box thread please? - ISBN numbers if possible :D

bayoudragon
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Carol, he's a beauty!! :thumbsup:

I just got approved for a conference in Wichita. I checked my schedule of events... and there won't be any extra time to go to Botanica!! :eek: :( :rolleyes: Oh well, I guess 3 nature centers and 2 wildlife preserves will do. :D

Lady Carol
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
That he is Ang. Just got back from riding him tonight. It was raining again so it was inside. I am so glad that she has an indoor area or else winter and rainy weather would really hamper riding - and we can't have that now, can we :D In the lesson I was working a lot on balance over jumps as I have a tendency to fall back into old and very bad habits.

Your conference sounds like fun.

debsn2paintn
08-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Carol- Your horse is beautiful, reminds me of the horse I grew up with. Those were good memories :)

Maureen- Hope you had a nice visit with your friend. Friends like that are special.

Rain- Have not had any here in months! Normally everything turns brown this time of year, well in June it was already brown.

Charlie's Mum
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Had a lovely day yesterday with my friend - DH let us go to lunch without him - said he couldn't stand all the nattering! :lol:

I'm harping on about our weather again - it's almost 6pm and it's like winter - been dismal all day, cold wind, low cloud and visibility .... time to turn up the heat and snuggle down for the evening!
The light's horrid for any kind of painting ... maybe some drawing!

If we were younger I'd seriously think of emigrating! :lol:
My little prayer:
Sun, please come back - the countryside is beautiful when you smile!!!!!!

Y'never know, maybe He will listen!

Hoping visitors to Greenies' read this:

Anyone in the forum can start the Greenies' thread - please!!!
Then click report button and request a sticky - a mod will sticky it soon as poss!

Let's see who's first in on Sunday! :D

Laura D
08-21-2007, 11:32 PM
:wave: Tess!

Great horse Carol!

Sorry CRS has set in... bad arm day.

debsn2paintn
08-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Laura I'm so sorry to hear your arm is hurting today. I hope it's better tomorrow.

Maureen- Oh I'm glad you had a nice visit with your friend :)

C_Line
08-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi Gang, here's why I didn't get any painting done last weekend. Sunday my husband decided it was time we ripped up the carpet in our formal living room/dining room/studio. Here's where I paint...what do you think? I love the new look, and so much lighter now! Man, it was tons of work - took us 9 hours! My hands are definitely made for painting, not manual labor.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2007/94054-Studio_Space_small.JPG

Charlie's Mum
08-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Very nice Celeste! But how do you keep so tidy and manage to stay within that space? I've a much larger area and it's packed - and desperately spreading further!
All your paintings look so lovely too - what a pleasant place in which to create! :D

Anyone else like to share there working space?
As long as there's a flower to be seen, why not? :D

Polygon
08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey, I just found this forum now from Celeste's sig. I've been waiting for a forum on flowers/plants. :clap:

Anyone else like to share there working space?
As long as there's a flower to be seen, why not? :D

Well, since I just happen to have a flower painting on the table right now, sure! I'll attach mine. I paint in our sunroom- photo came out very dark but it's late afternoon here.

Celeste, your studio and floor is amazing!

Laura D
08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Beautiful floor Celeste! We redid our entire floor and it is a lot of work. Your poor hands. I love it though. It does require cleaning more often but it's a lot easier than carpets and I know there won't be that gross accumulation of ack under it either!

Hmmm. picture of the studio? The room is so small I'd be hard pressed to get a shot! I'll try though.

C_Line
08-22-2007, 07:56 PM
After I saw the dust under the pad, I was glad to get rid of the carpet. Now we have hardwoods everywhere except one bedroom...it's got too much furniture to move right now!

Maureen...if you only saw the dining room table BEFORE we did the project! One thing about keeping it in that area (the only space available), it forces me to keep somewhat tidy. As you can see though, my tubes of paint get a bit wild!

lilbelle
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Great looking room Celeste!
Polygon, I love the flower on your monitor!
Here is a picture of my art/sewing room,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2007/103642-DSC01316.jpg

C_Line
08-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Nice room Lillian!

debsn2paintn
08-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Celeste I don't know what the space looked like before, but it looks wonderful, the wood floors add so much warmth. And your paintings on the wall look great. I bet it feels good to have that manual labor done. :)

Polygon- There have been times when I have been temped to paint at my computer desk :)

Lillian- Your space looks so clean and organized.

I had a studio, it was an addition to the garage and had a window, but it has been taken over by my DH. It's funny though I enjoy painting in my kitchen the most, and tend to get more done when I just leave the mess set up on the kitchen bar. I will see if I can get a photo tomorrow in the sun light. :)

Laura D
08-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Lilian! That's waaaay too uncluttered! Are you a member of the Fly Lady club or something? giggggles.

lilbelle
08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Thank you Ladies! I'm not working on anything at the moment and I tidied up for your company;)

Laura, I'm not familiar with that term. I hope it's not Bad :eek: :lol:
It's interesting to see where everyone is at their most creative!

mistiaggie
08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
I love that studio, the chica in Oklahoma! Sorry I already forgot your name!

Nice work everyone! :)

Laura D
08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
No sugar, it's not bad. Fly Lady's an internet cleaning-guru/group. You commit to doing 15 minutes a day... and no matter what stop after 15 minutes, every day. Then if you find company is coming over all of a sudden it only takes 15 minutes to clean the house. Surpisingly, it works!

C_Line
08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got to get busy painting - just got exciting news that I'm in a new retail location now. Delivered 10 paintings today - 5 to the gallery downtown and 5 out south. Better get crackin'!

lilbelle
08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Laura, that is basically what I do every day. And you're right, when company is coming, it's a breeze to clean the house in time. Though it helps that the kids are grown and moved out and we don't have a dog any more! That really cuts down on the work load!

Celeste, congratulations!!! How exciting it must be!

Laura D
08-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Congratulations Celeste!

lilbelle
08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has participated in an Art Walk and how they felt about the experince. My City is looking for artists to set up (free of charge) on the sidewalk of a shopping area of town. Laura and I were discussing ways to promote artwork, and I was thinking about maybe trying this.

C_Line
08-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Sounds very interesting. Would it be a permanent thing or just a day or two event?

lilbelle
08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Celeste, it would be just for the first two weeks in September. I guess it would depend on the weather also.

Charlie's Mum
08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Lillian, have you been in touch with Sharrm at all? She lives near you - same city! :D

Charlie's Mum
08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
What beautifully clean and tidy artists we have here! ('cept me, of course!)

Thanks for sharing :D

Laura - love that idea of 15 mins daily!

We're having a dinner party tonight so this week has been full of busy, shopping, preparing, cleaning ... you know!

We have a couple of hours before the guests come, so I'm breathing deeply and keeping my fingers crossed that the food's OK .... I know the desserts and wine are, so if the main course bombs, we'll just have to rely on the wine and the conversation! :eek:

Maybe tomorrow I can paint! - don't seem to be doing much of that lately! :crying:

Celeste - I know I've said it elsewhere - but the extra exposure is great - congrats! :D

C_Line
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks Maureen. I wish I were one of your guests! I know it would be a blast. I'm sure by now it's long over and you're fast asleep.

lilbelle
08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Maureen, I didn't realize she lived in the same city as me. Thank you. Hope to see a new painting from you soon!

Laura D
08-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Lillian, I've never participated but it has come highly recommended by a good friend.

Glad you liked it Maureen, it's been really popular here at WC. "Gotta go clean out the midden is a frequent phrase over in the watercolor forum!