PDA

View Full Version : El Álamo

Jo Castillo
08-18-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2007/57688-wcalamo.JPEG
I am working on tree studies this month with Maggie Stiefvater. We have both been fairly occupied with other things. But, I did work on this cottonwood and am pretty pleased with it. It is just west of the Rio Grande near Albuquerque.

Pastel, 8 x 10 inches, on the new R-tis-tx sanded board, taupe color.

As always C&C appreciated.

Jo

Hoss_Lass
08-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Wow Jo! :clap:

Love the colors! That ole cottonwood looks like a welcome respite on a hot, dry, dusty 100 degree plus day!

Thanks for sharing!! :D

Diane Cutter
08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Very nice, Jo. It's got a dreamy look to it, kind of a nice place to rest from the sun. I was surprised to see it's a pastel. It has more of a look of oils from the pic...

Diane

Barbara Art
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Jo, you captured the lightness in the leaves that (for me) is particular to cottonwoods. Nice!
Barbara

sassybird
08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Jo, I know the area you are talking about. You did a great job on this piece. I could tell it was pastel because I work in them too. You did some good blending on the ground, but I would like to have seen a bit more detail in the forground. The tree looks great.

Jo Castillo
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
HossLass,
Welcome to blogging, I went and looked at your blog. Nice work. Thanks for the stop by. When we rode horseback on the ranch, it was always nice to get to a cottonwood and spring. :)

Jo

Jo Castillo
08-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Diane, Thanks so much. I usually frame pastels to the glass and if you use the new museum non reflective, they do look so much like oils. I love to play in the dust!

Jo

Jo Castillo
08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Barbara, thanks, I am studying trees this month and my first cottonwood wasn't as nice. I'm figuring it out. :) I'm working on another and wiped it off today, but will do it again. It is practice...

Charissa, thank you, too. I usually get way to picky and detailed so sort of left the front alone. I'll think on it. :) This was by the highway and I sure didn't want to put the bar ditch in. Ha.

Jo

Sonni
08-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Jo, I'm curious about your comment that you frame to the glass. If you mean what I think you do, I do the same thing with some of my pastels--learned from Maggie Price in the Pastel Journal.

Jo Castillo
08-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Jo, I'm curious about your comment that you frame to the glass. If you mean what I think you do, I do the same thing with some of my pastels--learned from Maggie Price in the Pastel Journal.

I just put the pastel directly under the glass with no spacers. Usually the ones on Pastelbord and just tape them together with archival tape and put in the frame and then seal that with tape as well. I can't see where it can be worse than with spacers. They don't move so no mess. I have changed the glass from regular to the museum glass and there was no problem. I had one that was taped to a mat come loose and the frame fogged so it had to be done over so it didn't help to have a mat or space. :) I have framed up to 16 x 20 this way.

Later,
Jo

MKathleen
08-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Jo, nice work on your landscape and the center of attention that lovely cottonwood. Nice color work on the bark! We have a lot of cottonwood tree's here in our area. Here they are the first to loose their leaves and the first to gain them back. Our cottonwood tree's seem to follow river banks and washes. In the spring they have these beautiful yellow-green leaves that announce I'm a cottonwood. I also carve cottonwood limbs that I find lying on the banks.
Thank you for sharing this one it's really nice.
Kathy

SunsetSue
08-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Well done Jo. I like this a lot. I like the foreground the way it is, There is enough detail to make it interesting.