PDA

View Full Version : E-bay evils

El_Elegante
05-23-2002, 02:44 AM
before anyone here tries ebay, beware of the risks... ebay is maniplulative in it's billing policies. I listed 2 works for $9.99, and the total listing fees were about $1.50. despite my correct entry of my bank account info, ebay said that it could not complete the direct transfer. They then sent me an e-mail saying that they would directly bill my secondary source,(credit card) and that I need not bother trying to fix the situation. I then got a bill for the $1.50 on my credit card, and a statement for $15.00 for something called a returned item. Which they promptly billed to my bank accout again, and of course said it got rejected.... leading to billing of $15.00 on my credit card, a letter saying I need not respond, and another $15.00 fee.
Update - Ebay finally responded to my complaints, transfered my primary billing method so it won't hang up on my bank account, and removed the Fee's I am satisfied with this.

Ebay does not make money providing service, it makes it screwing people on the sidelines.

Updated - this is the second time I have tried e-bay and the second time I have had a problem. I remain skeptical, but am satisfied that they dealt with the issue. The first time they did not refund my money. It had to do with an introductory offer that allowed you to list up to 5 items for "free" They said you would not ever be billed for any of these items unless your account exceeded $10.00. But what they neglected to make clear was that if you listed $5.00 in items, they compounded interest on that listing at an alarming rate quickly making it pass the $10.00, and therefore, they sent a bill. It may very well have been legal, and burried on page 140 or so of the "agreement" but they way they represented the offer was misleading at best.

cagathoc
05-23-2002, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry that you had such a screwed up experience!

I have been using eBay on and off for about a year now and have had overall very positive experiences with them and the people who use eBay...

cagathoc
05-23-2002, 07:21 AM
Here is the link where you can email them to get help (if you haven't already done so):

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-support.html

arlene
05-23-2002, 08:55 AM
yes i too have had positive experiences with them...i just had an incident where I listed with the featured gallery instead of the featured plus...they did refund my money...

there is a forum on ebay and alot of the questions and problems are discussed there...might want tosee if any others have been having the problem...

would go under billpoint.

El_Elegante
05-23-2002, 11:35 AM
Finally, It took a week but they dealt with the problem and credited my account. I am going to edit my original post to reflect that my problem was solved.

Sumafra
05-24-2002, 12:15 AM
Iin almost a year of selling on Ebay, have never had a bad experience. Most of my buyers pay by Paypal. Recently, one paid by Billpoint. That was fantastic. They transferred the money to my bank account immediately without my even having to ask for it. Great service as far as I'm concerned.

CarlyHardy
05-24-2002, 12:49 AM
I do hear of problems at times with ebay services....but any big business is going to have some problems. I've been selling for almost two years and haven't had a problem...in fact, ebay has told me that I was getting refunds a couple of times that I wasn't even aware of. That's always nice!

My advice to all new sellers is....read everything and ask questions! That's what I did and it really helped me.
carly

tammy
05-26-2002, 01:59 AM
Yes, sometimes there are problems on eBay but despite that they are still the biggest game in town and we are constantly pulled back b/c for right now, that's where the buyers are.