PDA

View Full Version : Curious

klrecer
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I've been lurking and reading and learning alot but was just curious at to how most of you start your work. Do you do a all over background color or just work as you go?

LJW
08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi, and welcome to the Oil Pastel forum. I paint mostly landscapes. I start with a drawing or tracing, and then do the sky. I tend to work from the top down to avoid getting my hand in my OPs, so I do not work all over the scene at once. I often work on coloured paper or a toned canvas board, chosen to work with the scene, either in an analogous colour, or a complementary colour to modulate the overlying colours. Using a coloured support reduces the problem of white showing through "holes" where the OPs don't fill the texture of the ground. Jane

AnnieA
08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi, klrecer! Welcome to the OP Forum! :wave:

I've used both methods: sometimes I lay down an underpainting with harder pastels and then start working over that, and other times I just build up areas, working all over the bare paper. It depends a little on what the subject is, and what the paper is too. I'm more inclined to use an underpainting when I work on a white surface (for the reasons Jane mentions). I've generally sketched the image on the surface first, but for quicker sketches, I sometimes start working directly with OP.

You might enjoy joining us in the Weekly Pastel Sketch thread as a way of getting your feet wet. It's here for this week: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=438720
Keep in mind that there's a new thread put up every Monday, so the link I posted is only good 'til then.

lacey sprocket
08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi! :wave:

I do mostly portaits in a sort of graphic style. I do a line drawing in op first, then I usually do the figure first- midtones then highlights, saving the darkest colors for near to last so they don't muddy the lighter colors. I don't blend much with my fingers or any tools. I layer the pastels very think and let them blend by layering. Then I mess about with the background. I often lay down a light color like yellow, then cover it with other colors and patterns, so I can scratch back through to get light color details. I usually add outlines last. I do use smooth white paper mostly, since I like really bright colors. I do cover all of the paper with thick layers.

The colors I use vary greatly, as my work is only semi-representational. My favorite colors for faces are white (which I use to overlay and blend, as well as put in highlights and pale complections), yellows, oranges, pinks and reds (for nose, ears, cheeks, etc), purples (for shadows), lt blues (for reflected highlights and outlines), and a deep purple-red made by sennelier called bordoux. I use that color for dark shadows and outlines a lot. In my backgrounds, anything goes!

This is a fun thread, it's fun to see what everyone's methods are!

Pat Isaac
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I start my paintings with a drawing, usually in oil pencil and then start filling in the entire area with a suggestion of the local color. I then go back and start filling in the details. I blend a lot as I go along either with my fingers or with color shapers and tortillions. I always paint on a toned background as I find it easier to work against a color than a white background.
Welcome to the forum. :wave: and hope to see some of your work.

Pat