PDA

View Full Version : WIP quarter horse "Robert" xpost A&W

Lisa M
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
This is a graphite sketch that I am doing to prepare for a larger soft pastel version, but I decided to finish this out too. It's 11x14 Canson sketch paper with graphite. I will finish out the lower left (nothing done there yet obviously), and do some more detail, but would like to know what others see so far. I see some errors. It's my aunt's quarter horse stud Robert; she asked me to do a work for her.

All c and c welcome; thanks for looking!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2007/100809-WIP_Robert1_002.jpg

sassybird
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I would put a glint in his eyes to show some life. Really you have done a good job on this. I can't wait to see the pastel version.

paintedhorses
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Lisa, I like to look you have here, good eyes, good ears, etc. What I am seeing is the distortion of the camera lens, in that the muzzle is much larger that would be natural in the pose. What do you think?

Best, Jeri

Diane Cutter
08-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Very nice shadows on the head. I look forward to the finished piece...

Diane

Barbara Art
08-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Lisa, I, too, noticed that Robert has kind of a big nose. He's very handsome otherwise and should make a great finished piece. You captured that intelligent look.
Barbara

Lisa M
08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Thank you all for the helpful feedback and pardon my late reply. . . . I do agree that his muzzle looks too big. It doesn't help that the halter is now up too high, I think, after being too low originally. I moved it too far. I also noticed once I got going that in the photo, the halter is crooked because of the heavy lead that hangs from the horse's left side instead of the bottom center ring. These are the things I wanted to account for before the "real" version in pastel. I've never thought too consciously about the camera distortion--thank you for pointing that out!

I'll get back to it soon, I hope, and will post again.

Lisa M
08-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Here's an update. I still need to balance out the lighter area on the left by lightening his cheek below the halter I think, and do something for the bg along with cleaning up what is supposed to be brilliantly reflecting silver on the halter. I will need to practice that with the pastels. I can also see now in the photo reflection that I need to fix where I used some charcoal in the right eye area. Oops.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for looking....
lis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2007/100809-WIP_Robert1_003.jpg

MKathleen
08-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi Lisa, I can see improvement and I like the composition and softness you have developed. You will improve with each one you do.
Kathy

Diane Cutter
08-27-2007, 07:05 AM
No suggestions here, just a comment that, not being around horses much, I thought the first was very good, but the improvements are great!

Diane

Jo Castillo
08-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Looking good. The corrections were right on. I see the nose off center a little right between the eyes, could be the photo. Nice work, looking forward to the pastel.

Jo

Lisa M
09-02-2007, 09:01 AM
I posted the finished pastel version in A&W and pastels, so I'll just plug it in here instead of starting a new thread....I believe more and more in the value of sketching a subject first. I wasn't really going to go as far as I did with the pencil, but it was a learning experience.

Here is Robert almost done--still need to soften out some of the white in his lower lip and see what the owner thinks overall.
This is on Wallis, 12x16 or so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2007/100809-Robert_pastel_email.jpg

objectivistartist
09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
VERY VERY good...:thumbsup:

MKathleen
09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! Beautiful coat color and I really like the stance--nice lighlights also. You really made the mussel look soft and velvety as they are in real life.
Kathy

Playm
09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
WOW. Now THAT turned out Beautifully!! It looks like you did a great job compensating for the lens distortion in the original. .. This is absolutely Gorgeous!! I love how you handled the color. Do you happen to know off hand if Robert is registered as a black? .. or a brown? (it doesn't matter .. but the way you handled the coat is just beautiful) Thanks for sharing that.
(some of our AQHA foals were registered 'brown' .. but even though it *sounds* so unexciting... it can be beautiful)

Diane Cutter
09-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Beautiful... yes, I can see that ironing out the kinks in the drawing make for a stunning pastel...

Diane

Enchanted
09-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't know that much about horses, but your pastel is fantastic. :clap:

Incidentally, tomorrow (Labor Day) is the running of the All American Futurity in my town. It's the "World's Richest Quarter Horse Race." (http://racing.aqha.com/racing/dyn_content.aspx?FQD=http://www.aqha.com/aqharacing.com/events/allamerican/index.html)

No, I don't attend horse races either. But there are plenty who do, which makes this a "horsey" place to live!

:wave:

Barbara Art
09-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Lisa, Robert looks wonderful in your final portrait! I'll bet the owner will be thrilled.
Barbara

Lisa M
09-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you all so very much for looking and for the feedback....

Playm--Robert is registered as a black, although he does look very brown and most of his babies are anything but black. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2007/100809-Sandy_005.jpg

And you can see how big he is--Sandy is about 5'6. "Romancing Time" is his stud name. There was a mare in heat about 10 feet from him when I took that picture. He literally does what Sandy tells him to do--so smart and wonderfully trained.

Enchanted--You are so lucky to live in racing country! We can drive about 4 hours to see thoroughbred racing near the Twin Cities, and in fact we were going to go last Sat. but did not for I had too much work and painting to do.

Playm
09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Thanks Lisa. He's a beautiful boy! .. and a BIG boy! It's so nice when they're a *gentleman* when breeding. .. (one of ours is always such a gentleman.. but the other always *wanted to be* a rapist.. though he *does* behave.. LOL) .. I looked at Robert's pedigree. .. looks like he's got blacks top and bottom. ... direct line of blacks on his dam's side that goes back 5 generations. Sandy must be thrilled with your portrait. Thanks again. It was really enjoyable.

sassybird
09-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Lisa, I'm impressed. You did a beautiful job on this portrait, and the photo of Robert is grand. He is a regal looking horse.

Jo Castillo
09-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Lisa, the portrait is great. Bet they loved it. Beautiful gesture and color.

Jo

Old Tex
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Wow! Beautiful!

Lisa M
09-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks Sassybird, Jo and Tex and all.
I emailed the image to Sandy awhile ago but haven't heard from her yet. They have been on the road showing a couple of their horses, but not for 2 weeks I don't think:confused: . Perhaps another try.

Sandy bought tiny Robert as an orphan who was full of disease and half dead. I can't even get into the health troubles he had--and look at him now. A 3-yr-old could ride him down the road.

Hoss_Lass
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Jumping in late here! This portrait turned out just lovely! My favorite part is the way the colors and lighting on the stud's body just flow softly together, it's a very inviting feel. Like it makes you want to reach out and give the ole boy a rub and a scratch!!! :D

Thank you so much for sharing your talent, I bet your friend loves it!! :thumbsup: